Gaming Industry News

Relic ? The original developers of Homeworld (and of Impossible Creatures) ? I never knew that they belonged to Sega now ...

Sega bought them a decade ago and they haven't lived up to their potential though.

Dawn of War 3 was a vast disappointment so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Once, there was the term "hire & fire". Now it's "buyer & fire".

Last edited:
Oh by the way wete being to mean to the Embracer CEO. 🤣
Poor people at Embracer. It must have been an ordeal having to sack all those people. And it's not their fault, really; all they did was frantically buying everything for the greater good. It should have worked.

IGN had a talk with the same guy about joining and leaving Embracer.
He's full of crap but look at what direction he is from; these are business people not game developers. They have no clue what they are doing - just trying to make a buck off the back of others.
-
Screw them all.
-
Hey back in the 90s when folks were praising Jack Weltch I was calling him an asshole and warning he was creating a disaster for GE; and now look at GE. Same crap with embracer.

Don't get me wrong there are times when people make mistakes and even if they dont' when layoffs are needed for suvival but that isnt' what is happening these days. Even cd projek has changed since it has become a public company. Anyway may all 'business' ceo get cancer and die and the world will be a better place.

More layoffs and cancelled projects at Take-Two Interactive
Take-Two Interactive Software will lay off about 5% of its workforce, or around 600 employees, the publisher of the "Grand Theft Auto" franchise said on Tuesday, as the video-gaming industry extends its more than two-year long job cuts.

The company will also scrap several projects in development as part of a cost-reduction plan, which is expected to result in total charges of up to $200 million. It declined to name the projects that have been canceled .

Swedish gaming conglomerate Embracer Group announced plans on Monday to split itself into three distinct games and entertainment companies: Asmodee Group, Coffee Stain & Friends, and Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends. These will be separate, publicly listed companies, according to Embracer’, which says the move will allow “each entity to better focus on their respective core strategies and offer more differentiated and distinct equity stories for existing and new shareholders.”

“This move towards three independent companies reinforces Embracer’s vision of backing entrepreneurs and creators with a long-term mindset,” says Lars Wingefors, co-founder and Embracer Group CEO, “allowing them to continue to deliver unforgettable experiences for gamers and fans across the globe.”

It's weird they split into more specialized holdings; I thought there were advantages of having a varied portfolio.
I believe there are advantages from perspective of accounting and liabilities. While this is certainly true in area of manufacturing it seems less obvious to me in software development though the different holdings might have developers in different regions and they might be able to realize greater tax benefits as distinct holdings.

Also as business people it makes the organization chart flatter and more simple with MBA seem to feel is beneficial - don't ask me why but i see this mentioned numerous times. What I can tell you as an eng is i ignored org charts and talked to whomever whenever i wanted so it never mattered to me no matter how much my manager scolded me ;)

I believe there are advantages from perspective of accounting and liabilities. While this is certainly true in area of manufacturing it seems less obvious to me in software development though the different holdings might have developers in different regions and they might be able to realize greater tax benefits as distinct holdings.

Also as business people it makes the organization chart flatter and more simple with MBA seem to feel is beneficial - don't ask me why but i see this mentioned numerous times. What I can tell you as an eng is i ignored org charts and talked to whomever whenever i wanted so it never mattered to me no matter how much my manager scolded me ;)
They have split by genre more than by region, so we'd have to dissect the subsidiaries but it looks like it's not the primary concern. I'm not really convinced the hierarchy will be flatter as those remains pretty big companies. But if it's smaller, there'll be less friction and they can probably get a more efficient structure than a behemoth.

Publishers and holdings tend to prefer regrouping several genres for the economies of scale, because of the resources shared between all those silos, and for risk mitigation. They also did that historically because it helped them establish better relationships with everthing downstream, like the distributors and retailers, but I don't think it's still relevant in digital distribution (also, they've split according to genres, so they'd still have this advantage). Here, I suppose they're big enough to still benefit from economies of scale, too, though they won't have the same capital behind them for huge budget games.

I'm sure they have good reasons, but I found it surprising. I'm not a businessman, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom