Gaming Industry News

There's more bad news out of struggling gaming conglomerate Embracer: The company has confirmed that approximately 50 employees are being laid off from Chorus developer Fishlabs, and is also reportedly looking at closing TimeSplitters studio Free Radical Design completely.

It looks like more Embracer studios have been hit with layoffs. 3D Realms founder Scott Miller (via GamesIndustry), who doesn't work at the current incarnation of the studio but runs reborn indie publisher Apogee Entertainment, said on Twitter that "a lot of people, including core devs" at 3D Realms and Slipgate Ironworks have been put out of work.

Delusions of grandeur.

The video game-themed company Embracer Group has continued its long, long period of restructuring into the new year. Today, one of their many game development studios, Lost Boys Interactive, got hit with what was described as "massive" layoffs by one of the team members that were affected.

Now it seems the rumored new Deus EX game has been canceled.

Is there anyone who will remain at all ? What kinds of games are they planning to do with this reduced staff ?

Business logic as Embracer will still own the IPs and can develop games at a different or new studio someday if they desire, or they could always end up selling the IP.

Last edited:
Every time I see a new post by Couch in this thread I know it is more bad news. I was hoping Star Trek Inifinite would evolve into a great game but I guess this lowers the chance of that.

Business logic as Embracer will still own the IPs and can develop games at a different or new studio someday if they desire, or they could always end up selling the IP.
Yes, but they need experienced staff as well. I mean, they just can't cancel a project and then much later let it be done by people which were never involved with it in the first place. It's been done before, I know, but communications needs at least a few people to show newcomers where everything is going, like the conductor in a train.

Now they are trying to get a reputation equal to EA ?

What a shitty time to be working in the game industry right now.

As EA also just fired 5% of it's workforce.

Back
Top Bottom