Good Old Games - Offline, Closed?

But I think I'll stick to being grumpy over the state of the industry, rather than not having access to re-downloading a few old classics for a few days.

Didn't you say you never get grumpy? :p

Steam buyout :S They think they'll increase sales by being connected to steam? yeah sure all the CS kids wants to buy old games.................... whatever started these rumors ??

Didn't you say you never get grumpy? :p

Damn, you got me there!

Maybe I can save it by saying I never GET grumpy, I AM grumpy as a permanent state, where the state of the world is concerned ;)

Steam buyout :S They think they'll increase sales by being connected to steam? yeah sure all the CS kids wants to buy old games……………….. whatever started these rumors ??

Haha, what?

Steam owns the audience, and they'll own you soon enough.

They even had enough clout to buy off Firaxis, ensuring Civ 5 (a HUGE title) will be Steam only.

So the next logical step is,Steam ads at the Watch?

:end: ^^
..ooh, is that my coat..?

The issue is that it has gotten sufficiently big, and greed driven people have corrupted it.

Yeah yeah, it completely driven by greed now. Yada yada, heard that one before :)

Compared to back in the days when the devs didn't care *at all* about profit - or that the project of their life (their company) went out of business, that they had to fire all their staff, that they *personally* went bankrupt because they believed so much in their projects that they put their own money on the line. Back then, all they really wanted to do was to do "gaming art".

I don't buy that!

Of course it's driven by "greed" - or rather, a desire to make money. Every industry is ;) It just so happens that we, the average visitor of RPGWatch, likes those games that turned out NOT to be rentable better than those that turned out to be. That's why we bitch about the current state of the industry.

There are plenty of things wrong with this industry, but the desire to keep companies in business and make money while doing so is not one of them.

As for our own gaming future as (hard-core) CRPGers I have high hopes for the indie market.

Yeah yeah, it completely driven by greed now. Yada yada, heard that one before :)

No, not completely - but that wasn't what I said. I said the industry has been corrupted, and yes, most AAA developers are driven by greed. Not necessarily themselves being greedy, but the ones funding them. The driving force BEHIND them, as in the financial backing is based on greed.

Not bad if you care about money, but bad if you care about untainted visions.

Compared to back in the days when the devs didn't care *at all* about profit - or that the project of their life (their company) went out of business, that they had to fire all their staff, that they *personally* went bankrupt because they believed so much in their projects that they put their own money on the line. Back then, all they really wanted to do was to do "gaming art".

You think of this in black and white, which is why we disagree. I don't, though it might sound like it.

Back in the day, the gaming industry wasn't a ripe place if you wanted to be rich. It was mostly by nerds for nerds.

That doesn't mean that nerds didn't care about money, it just means it wasn't the primary motivation - even for "big" productions.

I don't buy that!

Obviously.

Of course it's driven by "greed" - or rather, a desire to make money. Every industry is ;) It just so happens that we, the average visitor of RPGWatch, likes those games that turned out NOT to be rentable better than those that turned out to be. That's why we bitch about the current state of the industry.

I can't say why others bitch - and neither can you.

There are plenty of things wrong with this industry, but the desire to keep companies in business and make money while doing so is not one of them

Again with the typical black and white mindset, inspired by how intangible money is.

Money doesn't represent anything physical, which is the problem. That's why people tend to accumulate as much as they can, so they're "safe".

That's why you're sitting there, claiming that focusing on money and letting money be the deciding factor is tantamount to "keeping people in business".

Sad.

As for our own gaming future as (hard-core) CRPGers I have high hopes for the indie market.

Well, it's getting there - but very slowly.

The indie market isn't the same as the creative/artists market. It just means you can invest less as you have a smaller audience. Plenty of indies in business for the money, they're just not aiming as high as the big boys.

Nah, I just want the passion to drive the games - and as I said, more people will have the opportunity for that in the future.

But it's not like I'm saying there's no passion in the AAA market, I'm just saying passion isn't the driving force GENERALLY, anymore. Not even close.

It's the same principle as when some fat Hollywood backer is deciding what he wants to support. Is it the creative and risky project, or the explosion movie?

So obvious, it really hurts so many people can't see it.

This is kinda why I just like to buy my games at the store. I get a box and a disc that I can hold in my hands. I don't buy any games where the DRM forces me to use an internet connection to install, play, or save my games. So the games I have are mine and no one can just 'turn them off' one day.

This is kinda why I just like to buy my games at the store. I get a box and a disc that I can hold in my hands. I don't buy any games where the DRM forces me to use an internet connection to install, play, or save my games. So the games I have are mine and no one can just 'turn them off' one day.

Until 30 years from now when you can't find an optical disc drive in a computer... :D

@ Mad Gamer-
..and that's all well and good, provided that you can actually find a physical copy and it's not astronomically priced or in poor condition, and runs on modern hardware. That's the advantage of this kind of service.

People who support this method are not doing so because it's just a fun thing to do, it's a practical, cheap, and convenient alternative. The risk you take is that something like this happens, yet on the other hand - I'm the one that's been playing all the games I like this whole time. For like $5 apiece out the door.

While it would piss me off if GOG just evaporated, I'd only be out like 30 bucks total. It's not that big a deal. I've gotten my money's worth on Betrayal at Krondor alone on that

Until 30 years from now when you can't find an optical disc drive in a computer… :D

I actually have some old games on 5.25" diskettes that I might as well toss now. Yeah, I can probably dig up a drive but will it still be able to read the disks?

And you know, none of my last 4 computers has even had a 3.5" floppy drive.

And of course in 30 years you might not be able to get your OS to run the game. I couldn't get MoM to run under Vista (or XP for that matter), yes, even with DosBox, but the GoG guys did figure it out.

Last edited:
One of my 2 PCs even has a 5 1/4 floppy drive. ;)

The Ultima floppies in that format were unreadable, alas !

3 1/2 floppies appear to be much more robust than 5 1/4 floppies, it seems to me.

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

The plot thickens...

It's really sad news indeed. I have bought 15 games from them so far to support their policy and dedication to PC classics (and nearly I have the CD version of those games). I hope it's a marketing stunt, I really hope it.

3 1/2 floppies appear to be much more robust than 5 1/4 floppies, it seems to me.

Actually, the last time I tried to read some old 3.5" floppies about 50% of them were unreadable. Was it the drive? Bad disks? Just age? I dunno, I just threw them all away.

Until 30 years from now when you can't find an optical disc drive in a computer… :D

That's probably a true consideration for most people so point taken.

As for me, a total gaming geek, I still have old PC's (386/16, 486 DX2/50, & a Pentium 1) using DOS so I can play my old favorites in their original glory... floppy drives and all. I keep things in great condition and keep spare parts on hand in case such spare parts (like floppy drives or CD drives) can no longer be replaced.

When I play Ultima VII I can still play it on my 486 DX2/50 using MSDOS. It runs pretty well and while modern solutions such as Exult are fantastic, it's really great being able to play the game in its original form.

@ Mad Gamer-
..and that's all well and good, provided that you can actually find a physical copy and it's not astronomically priced or in poor condition, and runs on modern hardware. That's the advantage of this kind of service.

Most of the time I prefer buying a retail box copy of games I want to play. At this stage of my life I do have extra income to spend on games that I may want to play in the future, but perhaps not right away. So if I think I might want to play a game at some point, I'll buy it even if I know I won't be playing it anytime soon. Torchlight is a current example of such a game. Rarely do I find myself scouring ebay or amazon or bargain bins to find some old game I want to play. It does occasionally happen though, when I've missed some kind of release altogether and only learn about it much later.

People who support this method are not doing so because it's just a fun thing to do, it's a practical, cheap, and convenient alternative. The risk you take is that something like this happens, yet on the other hand - I'm the one that's been playing all the games I like this whole time. For like $5 apiece out the door.

Well I do purchase some games online. From GoG I've purchased about 7 titles. So I'm not at all opposed to this type of transaction in general. For me, I like to use sites such as GoG in limited fashion. The main appeal to me regarding GoG was simply not having to put a CD in my PC to play the game. I purchased Gothic 1 and 2 (both games of which I own a retail box for) because every once in a while I feel like playing those games and it's nice to just click the icon and start playing rather than having to go to my archive closet and get the disc.

While it would piss me off if GOG just evaporated, I'd only be out like 30 bucks total. It's not that big a deal. I've gotten my money's worth on Betrayal at Krondor alone on that

But see, that's why I always liked GoG above other sites such as Steam. If you download your purchases and archive them properly, and also back them up, you won't lose your installer for the game. If Steam ever goes away, as far as I can tell, people who bought digital versions of their game through steam might be out of luck.

I have less SteamVenom® than most I suppose as I buy from whomever has the best price going typically. I have about half dozen Direct2Drive titles, 2 Impulse, a dozen or so Steam and about a dozen GOG.

I would rank my digital download top 5 thus:
GOG
Steam
Impulse
D2D
everywhere else

If GOG adds DRM I will probably just stick to Steam.

That's probably a true consideration for most people so point taken.

As for me, a total gaming geek, I still have old PC's (386/16, 486 DX2/50, & a Pentium 1) using DOS so I can play my old favorites in their original glory… floppy drives and all. I keep things in great condition and keep spare parts on hand in case such spare parts (like floppy drives or CD drives) can no longer be replaced.

When I play Ultima VII I can still play it on my 486 DX2/50 using MSDOS. It runs pretty well and while modern solutions such as Exult are fantastic, it's really great being able to play the game in its original form.

That's actually pretty impressive. Sometimes I dig up my old floppies and day dream about the "good ol days" when I played them. The only computer that I know of with a 3.5 drive is my 10+ year old computer that I gave to my mom. I tried to pop in one of those games but like BillSeurer said, it didn't work. I thought it was the drive but I suppose the disk could have decayed or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom