Grimoire - Released

In other words, Grimoire might have been a $39.99 game back in the mid-1990s, but in 2017? Are you kidding me?

This is a $3.99 game at best.

Grimiore as it stands right now, looks like many of the 1990s abandonware games you can find for free across the internet.

The $39.99 price tag is a sick joke.

So yes, ripoff. Verily.

You were shook by massive incline and are evidently suffering anxiety and body tremors as a result. A $3.99 game? Murda yourself my man. Just the superdemo takes forever to complete, if you are even capable of that (doubtful). Let alone the full version which is rife with content. In fact I know you'd refuse to like it even at free price. A 600-hour spiritual successor to Wizardry 7, the Battleship Potemkin of RPGs, coded so well it takes up less than 100 megabytes. Cleve is right, your mind could never grasp that which has been accomplished here.

Well, blobbers can be very different. I know the Wiz games are dominated by combat - which is definitely not my thing.

I much prefer games like Grimrock - where combat is much faster and straightforward.

That said, none of them appeal to me that much anymore. The few examples we're seeing aren't really doing what I would want them to do.

Not sure about Grimoire - but it seems very Wiz-like in terms of combat, combat and more combat.

You are right blobbers are about constantly improving your characters. You're given a ton of combat and character building options, but combat is the core of the game. Wizardry 7 simply took this formula out of the dungeon and put it into an open world with some factions, and a much more complex enviornment, but it remains a combat oriented game 95% of the time, 5% of the time is solving riddles or interacting with npcs.

You are right blobbers are about constantly improving your characters. You're given a ton of combat and character building options, but combat is the core of the game. Wizardry 7 simply took this formula out of the dungeon and put it into an open world with some factions, and a much more complex enviornment, but it remains a combat oriented game 95% of the time, 5% of the time is solving riddles or interacting with npcs.

Exactly. I would like the ratio to be closer to 50/50 with the emphasis being on exploration and most of the combat optional - and I happen to think the character building options are sort of weak in most blobbers compared to the best character systems, like those in more traditional CRPGs or MMOs.

To me, having a zillion stats on a page is usually about complexity for the sake of it. It's not about smart game design where each choice is key - and the complexity is a result of rich systems where every feature is thorough and part of a consistent design.

I can see the appeal, but - to me - Wiz-likes are more directed at spreadsheet gamers. Not a derogatory - but crunching and fiddling with numbers is really 95% of those games.

As a kid, I had both the time and the inclination to invest in such games - and my imagination could easily replace the lack of actual and distinct content.

Not so, anymore.

For my part, the best modern blobbers would be Grimrock 2 and M&M X. They both featured plenty of non-combat gameplay - and they were quite rich in distinct content for such small-budget games.

As for Grimoire - I'm still not sure about it, but I very, very much doubt it could measure up to those for me.

Even if Cleve really was superman - one man simply can't make that much content that's truly distinct and worthwhile - even if he has 100 years to do it.

A lot of the Might & Magics felt like a pretty even balance of exploration and combat to me. I mean, yeah, there was a lot of combat everywhere, but also a ton of exploration to do and a lot of secrets to uncover. Moreso than most modern non-blobbers. I mean, compare M&M 6 to something like Pillars of Eternity, it's got fucktons more exploration.

You were shook by massive incline and are evidently suffering anxiety and body tremors as a result. A $3.99 game? Murda yourself my man. Just the superdemo takes forever to complete, if you are even capable of that (doubtful). Let alone the full version which is rife with content. In fact I know you'd refuse to like it even at free price. A 600-hour spiritual successor to Wizardry 7, the Battleship Potemkin of RPGs, coded so well it takes up less than 100 megabytes. Cleve is right, your mind could never grasp that which has been accomplished here.

Kool-Aid is asking you nicely to stop drinking it.

You wouldn't know until you actually experience it first-hand in addition to being a follower of the genre. Ask yourself how much content can you expect from a Wizardry type of game which had been continually worked on since 1997 by a perfectionist. The answer is a metric fuckton.

You wouldn't know until you actually experience it first-hand in addition to being a follower of the genre. Ask yourself how much content can you expect from a Wizardry type of game which had been continually worked on since 1997 by a perfectionist. The answer is a metric fuckton.

I got my first computer in 1984, no need for me to go back in time. I did experience games like this when they had there part in time.

The thing for this game that was over 20 years ago.

Tell that to GOG. Quality never goes out of style. Likewise, there will always be a place for classic games.

I've seen 10 year olds write better games. So yea it is a massive accomplishment.

Length is not the same as quality surely you've learn this but then again I guess not.

I wonder if you grasp the uselessness of Cleve ?

Your massive butthurt is acknowledged and disregarded. As for length, it's not only that. The game is diligently hand-crafted unlike modern algorithmic garbage.

I knew you would make it private, lujie, so I took my measures. Can't hide, friend.

2m61pg8.jpg

Love his profile picture - that's Vojislav Seselj! :rotfl:

Unless luj actually is Vojislav Seselj...

"I can personally attest this is seriously the best blobber since Wizardry 7, even surpassing it in some aspects. This game boasts a charming retro style, challenging gameplay which will push your wit to its limits and incredibly deep character building. There are no walls of text in this game, the writing style is measured and humorous. It took me more than a week to finish the region featured in a demo released few years back whereas the full version has several of these regions which are rife with dungeons and take forever to explore. There are also numerous puzzles, riddles and secrets. Given the huge scale of the game I suspect one won't be playing much else for awhile. The obscene amount of stuff there is to do in this game and time spent on party analysis fully justifies the price in my opinion."

Only a Neanderthal mind can analyze a game so quick! Great job.

Good I don't have facebook. :D PS d'Art you are deranged.

Last edited:
Exactly. I would like the ratio to be closer to 50/50 with the emphasis being on exploration and most of the combat optional - and I happen to think the character building options are sort of weak in most blobbers compared to the best character systems, like those in more traditional CRPGs or MMOs.

To me, having a zillion stats on a page is usually about complexity for the sake of it. It's not about smart game design where each choice is key - and the complexity is a result of rich systems where every feature is thorough and part of a consistent design.

I can see the appeal, but - to me - Wiz-likes are more directed at spreadsheet gamers. Not a derogatory - but crunching and fiddling with numbers is really 95% of those games.

As a kid, I had both the time and the inclination to invest in such games - and my imagination could easily replace the lack of actual and distinct content.

Not so, anymore.

For my part, the best modern blobbers would be Grimrock 2 and M&M X. They both featured plenty of non-combat gameplay - and they were quite rich in distinct content for such small-budget games.

As for Grimoire - I'm still not sure about it, but I very, very much doubt it could measure up to those for me.

Even if Cleve really was superman - one man simply can't make that much content that's truly distinct and worthwhile - even if he has 100 years to do it.

I actually didn't think to include exploration. In that case I'd say 65% combat, 31% exploration, 4% riddles and npc interaction.

Back
Top Bottom