Larian Studios - No more Baldur's Gate

I'm glad they will do something else. Larian is greater than DnD and the ungrateful DnD fan cesspool out there. All those gatekeeping fake DnD fans can go back to playing Hasbro's money-milking ten-a-dime games, and complain there about the lack day and night cycles or 4v6 party members, or RTwP vs TB, female models with penis, or whether the game should be called Baldur's Gate at all.

Larian will be on their merry way making great games that will sell millions of copies to RPG fans on their own. Their footprint in the history of videogames has already been carved, DnD always needed Larian infinitely more than Larian needed DnD, so that's both a smart decision, and one that I am glad for, and applaud.

I like the D&D universe, but don't like the D&D leveling and skill system for computer RPGs so much.

So I agree with Vaelith and think that Larian can create a better leveling and skill system in their next game - even better than Divinity: Original Sin, in which weapons became useless after leveling up.

Damn that sucks. Such an awesome game. Would have loved more. Sad news for me :(

I don't get the "anger" (possibly not the right word). BG3 is a very good and as I understand it, very huge game, so they certainly delivered. They don't owe us anything and I can't see it as selfish focusing on other things.

Besides, I'm not sure about the quality if they were to make more BG stuff because they felt they had to.

Being sad - I understand that. Being angry - no, I don't get it.

Last edited:
I like BG 3, but I don't care for D&D, so moving to a different system is good news for me.

I agree with the rant earlier, in that this is a risky move by the company. It's almost as if Larian is fixated on the idea of risking it all on their latest game, and then either going bust (which thankfully has not happened) or coming out a winner with good to even great sales (BG 3)

That said, you can only do "all in," - like in poker -only so many times before you will go bust, no matter how great a player, the odds will catch up to you, so hopefully they do have back up plans.

That said, I do think that Larian CEO already said things along the lines that for high level D&D its difficult to make a good RPG, and that high level D&D isn't interesting. So they would have had to do a half-hearted expansion of levels 13th to level 20 (say), and maybe it turns out as bad as they already expect.

Anyway, I'm very interested in their next game. But am hoping it's not a "Dragon Commander" - lol! (One of Larian's games that I never bought and have zero interest in.)

That's blaseampy as I enjoyed Dragon Commander. Guess it helps that I love playing RTS games. Still it didn't sell well so I doubt they will attempt it once again.

I agree with the rant earlier, in that this is a risky move by the company. It's almost as if Larian is fixated on the idea of risking it all on their latest game, and then either going bust (which thankfully has not happened) or coming out a winner with good to even great sales (BG 3)
Changing is often a risk (not changing might be, too), but it's not necessarily a big one. In the case of BG3, they had a great success with their previous games and were about to continue a beloved franchise. The main risk they were taking was not being able to deliver, but there was a very long EA, which provided a constant feedback. I don't have the impression they left much to chance.

Changing is often a risk (not changing might be, too), but it's not necessarily a big one. In the case of BG3, they had a great success with their previous games and were about to continue a beloved franchise. The main risk they were taking was not being able to deliver, but there was a very long EA, which provided a constant feedback. I don't have the impression they left much to chance.

Yea, that's true. Probably the BG 3 game itself to make was really not such a risk, not like other games they had in the past anyway. The BG name was in all likelihood going to help it become a big seller.

I'm a simple man, I just want an isometric RPG, and prefer fantasy, and not full of goofy humor, maybe even more serious in tone. That is what my hope for Larian's next game would be.

PC Gamer just keeps hitting the nail with the sledgehammer lately.

Larian will make better games without the DnD restrictive systems that let's not forget, are designed around cooperative games with a very important social element, pretty much the contrary of what a single-player videogame is designed for.

DnD offers a great setting, with deep lore and background, and a rich universe that has vast literature behind it; but also hundreds of flawed narratives and retcons.

It was a good temporary honeymoon, and Larian will now fly higher on its own, I'm hundred percent sure of it.

I've yet to see Lariain make a game without it's unique style of humor though.

Since everyone has an opinion on the topic, here is PCGamer with theirs.
Oof. The author is heavy-handed with the style, and I strongly disagree with 'Point being, as Divinity: Original Sin 2 already proved years ago, Larian doesn't need 5th edition D&D to make a solid systems-driven RPG', but I agree that D&D is neither a guarantee nor a prerequisite of success. Personally, I'd prefer Pathfinder or D&D 3/3.5.

Whatever they choose, I'm optimistic.

PS: But please, no salami this time. ;)

Ok, not in line with the style of games they've made but I'd love them to take a stab at Wizardry or something similar.

If they're not feeling it and don't want to work on it anymore, yeah, it's fine. That is understandable.
I was just worried that, in an attempt to putting player'ss/buyer's interests above all, they'd shy away from having an easy win-win.
For them since they already built the tooling and engine, so it's just the price of producing content.
And for us to get some more good content.

They still have to deliver Lady Mage Knight in the Dark Eye universe:

Back
Top Bottom