Larian Studios - Working on two Projects

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GamingBolt reports that Larian is currently working on two projects:

Larian Studios is Working on Two Projects Based on its Own IP

The Baldur's Gate 3 developer recently confirmed that it's next game wouldn't be tied to Dungeons and Dragons in any way.

"Being given the chance to develop a game set in the Dungeons and Dragons universe has been a dream come true for all of us," Larian wrote. "But as Swen recently confirmed, we won't be introducing any major new narrative content to the story of Baldur's Gate 3 or its origin characters and companions, nor will we be making expansions or Baldur's Gate 4.

"As an independent studio since 1996, we value the freedom to follow our creativity wherever it leads. In this case, after six years in the Forgotten Realms and much discussion and rumination, we've decided to seize this opportunity to develop our own IPs. We're currently working on two new projects and we couldn't be more excited about what the future has in store."

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

That's what they announced in Thursday's Steam news. In his Gamesindustry's interview, he also hinted at something new, which I interpreted as the next game they want to make instead of D:OS 3 (unless they do both in parallel). I'm curious to see if that's the case or not.
"The games we're making, I like that they have an end because then I can move on to the next one. We're not making another BG, or DLC, because we're done. We want to move on to something new."

There's not much Vincke could share about what's next, only saying: "It contains a number of things that we haven't done before, that I'm really curious to see if they're going to work out."

EDIT: Ah, I see it's actually mentioned in this article as well, so that confirms what I thought in the other thread:
It’s worth noting that the developer previously confirmed that its next game wouldn’t be Divinity: Original Sin 3. There’s a chance that one of the two projects currently in the works is a new Divinity game, but even if that is the case, based on what Larian has said in the past, it’ll likely be the one that’s further out.

That's what they announced in Thursday's Steam news. In his Gamesindustry's interview, he also hinted at something new, which I interpreted as the next game they want to make instead of D:OS 3 (unless they do both in parallel). I'm curious to see if that's the case or not.

EDIT: Ah, I see it's actually mentioned in this article as well, so that confirms what I thought in the other thread:
I wonder, because Vincke has often mentioned Ultima VII as his ultimate game development ideal but none of his recent hits has even attempted to have a dynamic world with day/night cycles, NPC routines, etc. Like, even how Divine Divinity was pretty much open world by 2002 standards, but the D:OS games and BG3 are very much not.

Not saying an RPG needs those things. It's just a conspicuous absence here. So I wonder if that's what he means by "a number of things we haven't done before." Or at least part of it. I could also swear reading a pre-BG3 interview where he mentioned wanting to do sci fi, and they are working on new IPs... but then memory can play tricks on one.

Would love to see a sequel to Divine Divinity as a real ARPG. The turn based thing has been done enough by them and DD is still one of the best isometric ARPGs ever.

All I can say is please Larian just keep making games so I can keep gladly throwing my money at you, I don't even care what the game is about at this point.

Would love to see a sequel to Divine Divinity as a real ARPG. The turn based thing has been done enough by them and DD is still one of the best isometric ARPGs ever.
Some of the things hinted at make me believe that one of the projects might be a Divinity game that's not D:OS 3. On the other hand, it's been quite a long time since Larian did anything that wasn't turn-based, so idk,

I wonder, because Vincke has often mentioned Ultima VII as his ultimate game development ideal but none of his recent hits has even attempted to have a dynamic world with day/night cycles, NPC routines, etc. Like, even how Divine Divinity was pretty much open world by 2002 standards, but the D:OS games and BG3 are very much not.

Not saying an RPG needs those things. It's just a conspicuous absence here. So I wonder if that's what he means by "a number of things we haven't done before." Or at least part of it. I could also swear reading a pre-BG3 interview where he mentioned wanting to do sci fi, and they are working on new IPs... but then memory can play tricks on one.
That seems like a good guess.

I'd love to see a day/night cycle and a proper NPC schedule. If he wants to push further, that's definitely one way to go, though the NPCs is what gave them so much trouble with CPU in the city, so adding more to their 'thinking' would mean serious optimization work. With enough time and resources, maybe they finally feel ready to tackle it.

Like others, I also wonder if they'd try an action RPG again. I don't think so, but it's just personal speculation.

I could also swear reading a pre-BG3 interview where he mentioned wanting to do sci fi, and they are working on new IPs... but then memory can play tricks on one.
I just googles and found this article by metro.co.uk. So yeah, there are some hints.

I'd love to see a day/night cycle and a proper NPC schedule.
For me, impression of living world is on totally different level with these features.
I really would like to see complex RPG with this implemented.
I just hope its not action RPG (or D:OS3 as Im not fan of the setting).

A proper adventure would be nice to see. I fully believe that they can do it.
But - looking at their history, I believe that they are able to fully surprise is with something we wouldn't expect at all. i could even imagine them doing arcade games ! :D

I wonder if Larian feel tempted to have another go at a Dragon Commander type game (An rpg/strategy hybrid that is). A science fiction rpg I would love to see as well.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Larian and SW. That's never going to happen.

Also, please no more Dragon Commander games. I think that's better left as a one-time thing.

Meh I would gladly pay to play another rpg/strategy hybrid from Larian.

To bad it seems that Dragon Commander didn't sell that well though. :unsure:

I'm quite sure they will stick to cRPG which is what made them the world elite in game developing. Anything that strays from that would probably be a spin-off they don't invest full resources into, and probably majorly outsource.

When they say they're trying new things they haven't done before I'm inclined to think they might dabble into real-time with pause combat, or perhaps over-the-shoulder/first-person views. Early to say, in any case, but I'm very much looking forward to see some teasers about it.

Back
Top Bottom