BG3 Let's discuss the ending of BG3 (massive spoiler, obviously)

Baldur's gate 3
The dragon was OK-ish, but the other enemies were destroying my party very quickly, even with an ally - maybe I chose the wrong one. After a while, it looked desperate enough and I just restarted the fight and rushed to the portal, so it was timed for me. I put the caster (here, the Emperor) comfortably in a Globe of Invulnerability, with as many others as possible, and that was it.

The next part was very easy, just by transporting everyone from platforms destroyed by the brain and giving it a few good kicks. ;)
How many allies did you have ?

I just gave everyone a potion of speed and summoned:
  • Florrick's Cohort - 3
  • Hellriders - 2
  • Assassin's Guild - 2
  • Harpers - 3
  • Watch - 3?
  • Paladins - 3?
  • Yurgir
  • Moonmaiden
  • A Fire elemental
  • An Air elemental
We outnumbered them I think :D.
I used Gale's to destroy the Emperor in two turns (Lvl 5 Force spell that does a billion damage) and something else.
I then moved all my companions onto one side of the platform killing the Arcanists.

Sorry- not doing spoilertags as it's tagged as massive spoilers in title.

How many allies did you have ?
Many, but I only spawned a few. Maybe I should have used the ability on each companion in the first round, but I split between that and attacking. Also, I focused on the dragon and probably underestimated the other enemies, which proved to be more dangerous with their attacks.

The game was already too long for me, so I didn't retry with other strategies when I saw that moving everyone at once worked. It did look very difficult to do the whole fight, though. Maybe I'll try using more allies next time.

I forgot I had allies to summon so I just went up myself with my party. I didn't enjoy the ascent - I died twice when explosions knocked me/another off a platform (although the explosion boundary indicator showed I was outside of it...). Yep, mobility is king - I also just killed emperor, had L'aezel + one other go toe to toe with the dragon/images (I think - been awhile...she was that powerful) and then ported to end and killed stuff. I didn't actually look up the globe of invulnerability bit - I had barely used it but though it would be perfect time for gale to use it, and it was. It is a completely overpowere spell - seemed appropriate for end combat - and you can pair it with larian voodoo to just be extra *awesome*... but by that time the Larian Combat (TM) had me exhausted and I just wanted to be done.

I loved my ending. Most everyone was dead by the end, including myself, as I couldn't stand being an ugly-ass mindflayer, which felt very epic and heroic. My only gripe was Shadowheart didn't even cry for me, even though I saved her, saved the world, and died a hero. And I was a cool bard, so skilled with the lute that everyone would just throw money at me. Even the druid from Act 1 that I ignored the entire game seemed more upset by my fate!

On my first playthrough on tactical I landed a upcasted Hold Monster on both the emperor and the dragon with my first cast and then a chain lightning as my quick action took a big chunk of both his and the emperor's HP. Then Karlach laid down 4 crits which took the dragon down to about 100HP or so. Then Shadowheart summoned up some allies while Wyll finished off the Dragon in the first round. The emperor died before his hold monster even finished and one of his mind flayer mates died on my next turn while all my companions spammed summons and it was pretty much game over in the second round.

One of the things that rubbed me the wrong way with the ending was how much damage/loss of life there had been in the city. Even after the netherbrain had been killed it had to show more citizens dying like the boat being crushed by a falling tentacle. I like to know that I have saved the day in a heroic style game like Baldur's Gate 3. Yes, you save the realms but did so many citizens have to die and so many buildings have to be destroyed? It took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Last edited:
Finished it last night with patch 5. Great game overall aside for some nitpicks.

Things I would've liked:
+ a five or six man party. Four felt limiting.
+ a possibility to play real time with pause like the originals. The TB combat was great, but had some fatigue in act 3.

I freed Orpheus. Does anyone else find it annoying/wierd/stupid that the emperor in the end desides to side with the elder brain?? Seemed like such an easy choice for him and it feels superwierd after all his shittalk about the elder brain and him wanting to be free from it. I would've liked a an option to persuade him to join the fight with Orpheus against the brain.

Yeah, the emperor's choice is weird given that he was trying to escape its control - and then immediately flips. TBH I didn't think the main story in BG3 was that 'plausible' anyway, most of the story seemed to be around the origin characters and their various quests. The whole dead 3 scheme seems a bit over-complicated and silly (with various inconsistencies popping up here an there) I can imagine the discussion @ Larian "How can we bring in an plane-spanning Evil Mindflayer plot!? And it must involve the gods!!! And dragons!!!! And cheese!!!!!!!!!"
Your 'tav' - unless you played Durge - is essentially an "irrelevant" (*) blank slate.

(*) Any other kidnapped charactrer from the Nautiloid could have been swapped in. There's been a lot of talk about the story and its issues over on Larian forums. I prefer the bhaalspawn concerpt from Bg1/2.

Back
Top Bottom