Master of Orion Reboot

Pleasant?

The developer of the utimate grinding game got their hands on a beloved favorite.

Not sure I agree :(

Ah, I'm not familiar with Wargaming or any of their games. That bad, huh?

Ah, I'm not familiar with Wargaming or any of their games. That bad, huh?

Ever heard of World of Tanks?

Yeah, they're the kings of monetizing F2P designs.

When they talk about having some of the original members on the team, they only mention the composer.

If they had Steve Barcia onboard, I might retain some hope.

This looks like streamlining and making a visual spectacle out of a game that was all about subtlety, depth and complexity.

Heard of yes, never played though or seen footage of.

Ah well, the article says "it has retained its classical gameplay", so who knows? Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Last edited:
Heard of yes, never played though or seen footage of .

Ah well, the article says "it has retained its classical gameplay", so who knows? Hope for the best, expect the worst.

That's what I intend to do :)

But you're right, of course - you never know.

I've been waiting ages for someone to have the guts to buy the rights to this franchise - but these guys don't smell like the right people to me.

We'll see.

I am hopeful until we get more info. Only thing I didn't like in MoO2 was the combat initiative system and I hope they fix that.

From what I know they are pretty pleasant Kings though, creating extremely fair f2p environments.

That said, there is a preorder section on their homepage. That also means that this game will not be f2p.
Of course for now we don't know if they will add in-app purchases or something like that, but I'll stay optimistic for now, especially because Wargaming is also an expert in multiplayer games. And there wasn't really an awesome multiplayer experience in 4X yet.
GalCiv 3 was rather disapponting overall imho and lots of other 4x games don't even offer multiplayer or add it as a hindsight as the Civ games do.

From what I know they are pretty pleasant Kings though, creating extremely fair f2p environments.

I guess that depends on what you mean by fair. You either grind endlessly or you pay - if you want the top tier tanks.

I suppose that's fair enough, but I'm not interested in "fair" from developers. I'm interested in fun - and grind versus exploitation doesn't sound like an approach that would be fun for Master of Orion.

GalCiv 3 was rather disapponting overall imho and lots of other 4x games don't even offer multiplayer or add it as a hindsight as the Civ games do.

I agree about that.

But let's wait and see.

Last edited:
Well it's about damn time as I remember when they bought the license for Master of Orion two years ago. I just hope it's not another F2P game from the developer.

Anyway here is the press release.

Wargaming Announces Resurrection of Master of Orion

Conquer the stars with the 4X game that started it all, reimagined

June 9, 2015 — Wargaming today announced Master of Orion, a modern rebirth of the critically acclaimed sci-fi strategy game. The forerunner of the influential “4X” style of gameplay, Master of Orion captured the imagination of gamers around the world. Its deep, strategic gameplay offered numerous ways to win—through brute force, diplomacy or resource domination.

Master of Orion brings Wargaming back to its science fiction origins, which began with the company’s acclaimed Massive Assault game series. Developed by Argentine-based NGD Studios and with key members from the original title’s team, Master of Orion stays true to its renowned 4X gameplay.

Enhanced visuals, built from the ground up, breathe new life into the vast galaxy available to explore and conquer, as well as give new personality to the many races which call it home. Players can expect a revamped user interface, an orchestral score from the original game’s composer, voiceovers by well-known actors, new user tutorials, and more to deliver a classic yet fresh experience to one of gaming’s most respected franchises.

“Master of Orion is a game that brings Wargaming truly back to its roots, not only as a company but also in how it influenced my personal interest in both games and making them,” said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming. “The series’ iconic gameplay has stood the test of time and working with NGD Studios to bring the series back to life is a truly exciting moment for the team.”

“As longtime fans of the Master of Orion, the opportunity to help breathe new life into this acclaimed game has been a dream come true,” said Andrés Chilkowski, Co-founder and CEO of NGD Studios. “While we’ve made many improvements overall to the game, we’re confident that its classic and addictive gameplay will appeal to gamers no matter if they played the game years ago or are now just experiencing it for the very first time.”

For more information on Master of Orion, please visit:

About Wargaming

Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher and one of the leaders in the free-to-play MMO market. Founded as a privately held company in 1998, Wargaming has shipped more than 15 titles. Currently, Wargaming is focused on its team-based MMO war series dedicated to the mid-20th century warfare that will include the armored World of Tanks, the flight combat World of Warplanes, and the naval World of Warships. The three intertwined titles will form a common gaming universe integrated within the portal www.wargaming.net .

As mentioned before. There is a Preorder segment on their homepage. So at least from the semantics it cannot be a free to play. Well, unless you preorder a "Beta-Access-Pack" which gives you a head start or something like that.

But I also think their intention is probably to profit from the game not just from sales, but over time. So my guess is that we will see a lot of DLCs or so. But as long as these are fair, I don't have problems with that.

You either grind endlessly or you pay.
Yep, that's the F2P / P2W model in a nutshell. IMHO it's an inherently flawed gameplay concept no matter how fair it is.

That said, I remember back in the day I didn't really care about who made a game. I didn't even know the difference between Publisher and Developer. :eek: All I cared about was the game. So who knows, maybe this will be good. A big part of MoO, part 2 at least, for me, was the music, so if they got the composer, good for them!

But let's wait and see.
Aye.

I wish I could be psyched by this but until I get some gameplay footage and other information I'll try to stay neutral. I've been burned to many times by earlier attempts at recreating classics (DA:O, MOO3, Fallout 3 and Jagged Alliance comes to mind...).

Hope for the best and expect the worst seems about right.

Wargaming already said that it won't be F2P and there will be no microtransactions.

That sounds promising! Very nice game series! Let's hope for the best.

I acctually could see a Master of Orion MMO as well, if done in the right way it could be amazing, with a huge galaxy and players researching stuff building ships etc etc... but it'd probably just turn into a grind/pay to win/micro-transaction madness like some other people already mentioned.

Watched both of these videos yesterday. They say a lot about MOO1, and pretty much nothing about the new MOO though ^^

Back
Top Bottom