Meridian Shard - Finished!

I'll post some basic impressions when I get the backer copy. Maybe even try to upload a brief video if I get the developer's OK.

The pre-release copy for backers is now available starting today.

Just got the KS update with the backer test copy. I might play around with it a bit tonight; if not, I have off Tues and Weds.

The update is only visible to backers, but here's some info some of you may find of interest.

The game is being renamed "The Warriorlock".

The game unfortunately does not have mouse support:

Ultimate Fantasy Studio said:
As hard as I worked on this on this feature, and did have it functioning, it interfered too often with the object interaction processes in chests and enemy events, where if the player clicked on these objects to move towards them, and the event was updating a process at the same moment, then the object(s) would react and open or start before the player reached them. It became very bothersome when programming all of the many locks, gates, characters etc in the game, so I have removed this add-on feature, and decided to keep things simple and working properly. Other than the keyboard, you can use just about any USB game controller, including xbox to play as well once the game is installed.

You can save anywhere (outside of combat)

Game has a native resolution of 1024 x 576, but you can stretch to full screen if you don't want to play in windowed mode.

That totally sounds odd, as I thought controller support was a more difficult task to include versus mouse. Then again, I don't claim to know a whole lot about programming or support devices. =p

Just got the KS update with the backer test copy. I might play around with it a bit tonight; if not, I have off Tues and Weds.

The update is only visible to backers, but here's some info some of you may find of interest.

The game is being renamed "The Warriorlock".

The game unfortunately does not have mouse support:

You can save anywhere (outside of combat)

Game has a native resolution of 1024 x 576, but you can stretch to full screen if you don't want to play in windowed mode.
Thanks for the info daveyd. Not surprised about mouse support and native resolution. As these two problems are a staple of RPGMaker games, & other similar game engines.

So, I beat the game, and in a rather "special" way. If you're a backer, then you can see all my spoilerific comments in the latest KS update.

My initial complaint with the game (early part in particular) was that it was incredibly hard; seemed to be the most punishing JRPG I've ever played. I died a lot. There's a good reason for that: Basically I managed to miss all of the recruitable party members and figured I'd eventually run into them. Instead, I completed the entire game without them.

So I can't tell you what the difficulty is like with a full party of 4, only that's it's technically possible to solo it. The developer was pretty impressed. Incidentally I also missed a light spell so I stumbled through the caves in the dark. I don't recommend that.

Anyways, the best advice I can give you guys is don't be afraid to ask for directions :)

In what I saw the game has humorous tone some of which is nice. But some of it is a bit juvenile. Incidentally the main character's name is Harry Longshaft.

The music is pretty good and the custom background art and many of the monster designs are very nice. However, the dungeons and temples seem to pale in comparsion to the great outdoor scenes. And some of the enemies are not as detailed as the others. But certainly a vast improvement from a generic RPGMaker game (I believe the readme indicated it was built in VX Ace)

While you can't adjust your character's intial stats, in a bit of a deviation from the standard JRPG formula, you get a couple stat points every level up to invest in how you wish. Most treasure is randomized. You'll also probably find a few scrolls that give the character of your choice permanent stat boosts. And also spell books that let a character learn new spells. Or if you solo it like me, give them all to your character.

The game has a lot of good things going for it and I'd say my main complaint is that it's rather short (although considering I missed the party members odds are I missed some side content as well). But I was able to beat it in several hours (not counting all the dying / reloading). Apparently the eventual plan is to release DLC / new chapters (which was part of the Kickstarter, high level backers get the additional content first) which is good because not only is it too short, but the ending seems somewhat abrupt with unanswered questions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom