Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - Gameplay Footage

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming has the first bit of gameplay footage from Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

Funcom has released the first gameplay video for its upcoming tactical turn-based adventure game that is being created by former HITMAN & PAYDAY developers, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is powered by Unreal Engine and is a tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy.

[...]

More information.

Not what I was expecting, looks like it could be really good.

The game looks interesting, though I don't like the graphics much.

Surprised to see funcom doing a turn based tactics game. Not a fan of the "modern" XCom system though. Will therefore likely pass and wait for Xenonauts2, Urban Strife and End State.

Urban Strife and End State.
Never heard of those games, but Urban Strife reminds me of Dead State . Though there hasn't been any updates for Urban Strife since July 2017, and that is worrisome.

This looks fantastic. Though what is with furries and anthropomorphic animals in video games nowadays. Add it to my list next to Phoenix Point and a few other tactical RPGs, alongside my usual sims.

Never heard of those games, but Urban Strife reminds me of Dead State . Though there hasn't been any updates for Urban Strife since July 2017, and that is worrisome.

At least they have a recent March 2 post on twitter.

It has hats... take my money :thumbsup:

Wasn't really sure what to expect with the demo, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of Stalker references which is always cool.

At last. Wondered the other day when this promising product would take some light on this forum.

Their approach to ugoigo looks dynamic enough. It is possible to scout the area in RT and then deploy according to the gathered intelligence. Looks as if there could be some moments of tension as downed characters must rescue or they die (remains to be seen what the penalty is when a character dies)
Limited amounts of capabilities that seem to lean toward working on synergizing party members.

Now time will tell if it survives the efforts of the crowd to ruin it as all of this might not fit their tastes.

This looks really good so far. I, for one, actually really like the look of the gorgeous graphics and the character design. I read in a preview somewhere that it's supposed to have more of an RPG/open world feel to it, which would be cool.

"Have been making games for 18 years" - Well, it shows!! Super professional work here. I'm truly awed, much like when watched Darksiders 1 with those horse riding scenes.

WOW, I wish poor Phoenix Point was designed this good! Amazing art direction, super neat map design, really nice GUI. Despite the stupid barnyard animal characters. XCOM Turn-based combat is bestest in this game after XCOM EW. The atmosphere is world-class.

I read in a preview somewhere that it's supposed to have more of an RPG/open world feel to it, which would be cool.

Openworld is likely to play against the product.

The vid shows the sequence reconnoissance, planning and execution. Which is a sequence loathed by players (as shown by reception of products including the sequence)

The sequence has heavy weight, contrary to many UGOIGO products, this one supports 100% hit chances. Uncertainty does not come from probabilities but from conditions handed to the player.
The combat looks short lived and a plan can go south fast enough to demand reworking.

In other words, it is much less luck based than the common loved UgoIgo and players are held accountable for their actions.

The open world feature means players go to an area and apply the sequence: scout area, plan, execution. Bypassing the sequence will lead to failures.

In other words: repetition. Which is another basic gameplay element hated on by players.

Added to that: there might not be a high number of enemies as the conditions of battle weight heavily: facing the same enemy in different conditions leads to a different battle. Players, though, showed they dislike that and prefer a large number of enemies leading to the same kind of encounters.

Accountability. Repetition. Imagination. All things that are blacklisted by players.

If released in EA, it is done, players will pressure until they get their way in.
Maybe, the console scene, that counts more gamers than the PC, could help the day as it is meant with consoles in mind.

Personally, I think this looks really good, and totally unlike anything I ever expected from Funcom. If it plays as it looks, I suspect they'll have a genuine hit on their hands and maybe we'll see more products like this from them in the future, which would be excellent for all of us.

Looks as if there could be some moments of tension as downed characters must rescue or they die (remains to be seen what the penalty is when a character dies).

Permadeath is an option but not mandatory.

This will be a day one purchase for me. If both Mercy AND Chien think it looks good then it has to be the best game ever right? Certainly good enough for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom