Non-RPG General News - Ex-Blizzard CEO Forms Dreamhaven

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Tweaktown reports that ex-Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime has started a new label called Dreamhaven with some ex-Blizzard developers.

Today Blizzard co-founder and ex-CEO Mike Morhaime announced Dreamhaven, an ambitious new publishing label that houses two studios: Moonshot Games and Secret Door. Morhaime and his wife Amy are funding the label themselves, and a number of StarCraft, Warcraft, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm vets have joined their ranks.

Morhaime says the main goal with Dreamhaven is to create a positive workplace that fosters creativity and frees developers from crushing crunch and financial pressures. You know, the exact opposite of what mainstream AAA game dev studios like Blizzard face under billion-dollar publisher rule. Dreamhaven is a haven and a beacon of hope in one, a place where devs can come and make their passions come to life without worry of over-monetization and constant obsession on metrics, service updates, and the other rigors of current Blizzard development.

[...]
More information.

Whats that smell?…It smells like another online Diablo clone or MMO incoming.:p

diablo@phone clone... diablo@phone home...

I wish them all them all the best, but I foresee they go broke before releasing anything worthwhile.

...chasing that illusive microtransaction crack dream of millions of $'s of revenue with minimal investment...

Dreamhaven is a haven and a beacon of hope in one, a place where devs can come and make their passions come to life without worry of over-monetization and constant obsession on metrics, service updates, and the other rigors of current Blizzard development.

Reminds me of the old Gathering Of Developers (GOD), that was a publisher founded by developers as well, wasn't it ?

This all sounds great until the money runs out and smaller studios quickly shut down. I like the idea but it does not seem realistic.

I would be very happy with either. World does not revolve around text heavy turn based RPGs
F.Y.I I play a lot of games bedsides RPGs. You don't get sarcasm do you?

Hint - I was making fun of Blizzards game history.;)

Back
Top Bottom