WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
I think I've about had it with this game. It's crashing for me over and over again. Sometimes I'll be able to play a few hours but then BOOM! And after I crash, half the time the game is so hosed up that I have to completely uninstall everything and re-install again. Now, even that doesn't seem to work anymore. I may have some sort of corruption in my save from heaven-only-knows how far back.

Ouch..I had that problem with past Unity games. It's usually a quest bug, memory leak or your save got corrupted. A few mods are available that helped me with Kingmaker though.

Also could be because Owlcat messed up the enhanced patch. They released a few small hot-fixes to fix some of the serious errors. I recommend waiting to play when it's patched.

And after I crash, half the time the game is so hosed up that I have to completely uninstall everything and re-install again. Now, even that doesn't seem to work anymore.
That is strange, the only files the game is writing is the saved games, or the configuration when you're in the settings. If you have those symptoms after simply rebooting (or cleaning up the processes if you know how), I'd say you may have another issue with your computer.

Are other games still working?

Yeah, Unity tends to work the graphics card very hard. Many people had crashing computers with those games because their system overheat, the two first thing to check are
- dust in your computer,
- limit the framerate, but don't trust the game settings because Unity has some issues with that, so try to set it for all games or for that specific game in the card's settings. Or run in borderless window mode.

Then tune down unnecessary graphics candy (esp. shadow quality).

The corrupted game files may come from the crash, but the game had those issues before, take the file to them on Discord or send it by email.

I think I've about had it with this game. It's crashing for me over and over again. Sometimes I'll be able to play a few hours but then BOOM! And after I crash, half the time the game is so hosed up that I have to completely uninstall everything and re-install again. Now, even that doesn't seem to work anymore. I may have some sort of corruption in my save from heaven-only-knows how far back.
Sorry to hear that. I'm not around on discord much anymore, but you could try asking for help there - there's a bug help channel where people ask all sorts of questions to find solutions.

It doesn't seem like a heat issue. If I get lucky early on, I can play for many hours just fine. Then I'll quit, have dinner, start it up again, and it crashes within a couple of minutes.

It could very well be a corrupted save, though. Everything was fine up until I got to the tavern for the first time.

I guess I could look into Discord. I've barely used that service before, but there isn't much help on Steam. I certainly sent them enough save files and crash logs via their crash logging system!

P.S. It actually plays in a borderless window by default. I tried full screen mode, but no luck.

Edit: there isn't diddly on Discord. You can post to their website, though.

Last edited:
I hate to say it because I might jinx it - but I unplugged my XBox 360 controller, and I've only had one crash since.

Good find.

The controller code has always seemed problematic for Owlcat. I had to unplug my rudder pedals because Pathfinder would believe it was an XBox controller, and each time I launched it, it was asking me to click on a button before continuing for some reason. As if it couldn't scan both controller and keyboard/mouse at the same time.

I jinxed it. Multiple crashes today. It also got in a weird state where the graphics would show for about a second, then the screen would lose signal for about 5 seconds, then it would repeat. I don't know what that was, but it didn't go away until I went from borderless window to full screen mode. Even deleting my config.json didn't help. Full screen wasn't all that stable, as it turned out, but going to that for half an hour then going back to borderless windowed mode fixed the issue.

I got really annoyed by one of the encounters where you find three people sitting by a campfire.
There was a perception check that I passed, telling me something wasn't quite right. There was a lore check that I passed telling me the people's word choices didn't sound quite like their soldiers. So, when they invite me to sit down with them, I say no - I think I'll just be moving along. But then the game decides that I go sit down with them anyway!? Sure enough, they were assassins. My unbuffed sorcerer was cut down before she even got a turn. Grrrrr.

So I try again. This time I buff up a bit. When the conversation starts, both the skill checks fail. The option to attack now counts as an evil act. Grrrrrrrrrr. OK, fine, do it anyway - even buffed I doubt my sorc will be able to take multiple snowball arrows and daggers. This time my initiative rolls were particularly bad. For whatever reason, everyone goes after my new cleric and, for whatever reason, they get a bunch of lucky rolls. My not-particularly-fragile cleric is killed before he gets a turn! Put that on top of the evil mark and... nah. Re-load. GGGGRRRRR

This time I buff out all the way. AGAIN both skill checks fail. This time I go sit with them, then attack (which I don't think was an evil act?). My sorceress gets shot up but most of it hits mirror images. She runs clear back behind the party (thank you haste spell) and the wizard gal starts throwing fireballs. That worked.

Still, none of it would have been a problem at all if the game hadn't forced my mage to go sit down with the dubious people.

I'm sorry for you, having such great game spoiled by constant technical issues. I feel so lucky I didn't have to face any significant issues and I'm playing since release day.

As for the encounter, I remember it. Im quite sure that successful skill checks gives you option to not sit down. On contrary, after unsuccesfull skill checks, your character has no reason to be suspicious, unlike you as player ;-)

This is definitely not normal. I'm convinced that Unity does not agree well with RTX 30xx cards, but I only saw a high GPU occupation. For example the main menu of Pathfinder: WotR takes a little more than 50% GPU in 1080p with the original options on my 3070, and there's nothing but a book, a pen and a candle. If I run the game with those options, my system sounds like a vacuum cleaner in several areas.

Are you running 4K with all graphics options maxed out? It's worth checking how it behaves with something less demanding for a little while.

It could also be a problem of power unit, since the 3080 alone may require a sustained 320 W when pushed.

Didn't you have similar problems with other "recent" Unity games (released in 2021-2022)?

I'm sorry for you, having such great game spoiled by constant technical issues. I feel so lucky I didn't have to face any significant issues and I'm playing since release day.

As for the encounter, I remember it. Im quite sure that successful skill checks gives you option to not sit down. On contrary, after unsuccesfull skill checks, your character has no reason to be suspicious, unlike you as player ;-)
What it does is it switches the "attack them" option from an evil option to just another option. I didn't want to attack, though. I knew something sneaky was going on, but it could have been a lot of different things. Maybe the campfire had them entranced? Maybe nasties were hiding around the corner, ready to shoot them if they said the wrong thing? Best to get out of conversation mode, buff up, and look over the place with detect invisibility.

I'm still playing, though. All those build options are SOOOOOO tasty! Ding! Oh, time to spend an hour looking over far more options than I really need to be looking at. <drool>
Didn't you have similar problems with other "recent" Unity games (released in 2021-2022)?
Nah, I'm on a 3080 pushing just 2K graphics, no second screen. Mostly top settings but with depth of field off (because ew). The power supply is 750 or 800W, should be enough. It certainly is eating some energy for the type of game it is!

I don't know if Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is Unity, but I just finished playing that on high settings. Before that was Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Death Stranding. No issues with any of them.

It's definitely not normal. The Steam forums would be a mess if it were! I have found that all those re-installs and removing save games doesn't make a difference. Just start the game like normal. If it works, great. If not, try again - maybe after a reboot to make sure everything is cleaned out from the crash. It works after a few tries.

What it does is it switches the "attack them" option from an evil option to just another option. I didn't want to attack, though. I knew something sneaky was going on, but it could have been a lot of different things. Maybe the campfire had them entranced? Maybe nasties were hiding around the corner, ready to shoot them if they said the wrong thing? Best to get out of conversation mode, buff up, and look over the place with detect invisibility.
It does seem a bit inconsistent that you can attack without alignment shift to evil whereas you can't for another - but I'm pretty sure the reason you get evil shift is because, if you fail perception check, you have no good enough reason to attack - after all, they were being *nice* by inviting you to their camp site etc if you don't catch their real intention

Hopefully their support have seen similar cases, let's see what they say about it. The logs should provide some clues as to what triggers those crashes.
Do you think they'll answer? I've been sending bug reports in-game for a couple of weeks now and even made a report via their website last week. Nothing so far.

When I sent them an email I got a reply within a few days, and when I asked questions on Discord I usually got a reply rather quickly, though it was for smaller problems. I imagine that for a crash like that they would like to investigate right away. They're in Russia so they'll probably be more responsive during your mornings than your evenings.

I've sent many bug reports from the game, but I've never been contacted about them. Not that I was expecting it, those were minor bugs likely reported by others too. The contact you give is the discord account though, so I'm not really sure how they proceed, maybe they send a PM when they get to this bug. It could take more time since there might be a lot for them to go through if they have to clean all the backlog since the game was launched.

When I found the Discord, the only options there were to report problems for the Discord itself to the moderators, not to ask the developers about issues.

It looks like Act 2 has no time constraints at all? Those pooooor Hellknights are in trouble, but I suspect that's one of those "emergencies" that will come to a head whenever you happen to show up.

It looks like Act 2 has no time constraints at all? Those pooooor Hellknights are in trouble, but I suspect that's one of those "emergencies" that will come to a head whenever you happen to show up.
Yes to the latter. But there is some sort of minor time constraint for the act as a whole, which means it's best not to dilly-dally too much. I think it's generous though, so as long as you don't skip days or weeks for no reason you should be fine. That said, helping the deathknights sooner rather than later might be prudent.

When I found the Discord, the only options there were to report problems for the Discord itself to the moderators, not to ask the developers about issues.
That's how it works everywhere, if the devs had to gather the bugs and chat with the customers, they wouldn't have the time to work on development anymore. There's usually a community manager who does the interface along with fans who are elected moderators and do it for free I think, which is nothing else than exploiting fans to reduce the work of the support, but they are willing and motivated.

The devs are online though, you can see their names on the right, and sometimes they answer directly (I had that a few times). But you shouldn't PM or @ them directly unless they initiate the conversation.

Look at the #bug-help channel, and pay attention to the pinned messages (top right) in case your problem is described there. You can also search a channel (Ctrl-F), this includes searching in the pinned messages so it may be faster than browsing them.

1666165060401.png

Don't go into the #contact-staff channel; there's a ticket system but it's for Discord issues, not game issues.

I spent a bunch of cash to get some +2 stat items, a nice weapon for the cleric, a scroll writing kit to level 4 (or 5?), and a few more soldiers. It took me down to about 5K.

Then I went into a secret, underground hideout of some sort where some incubuses (incubusi?) were hiding out. No problem with them at level 7. Then their master buffed himself up and attacked. Whack whack whack! Seelah the paladin goes down. Crit! Crit! Woljif goes WAY down to -60-some hit points. Ooookay, guess I wasn't supposed to go here yet. But Lann manages to finish the super-incubus off and he had some nice stuff. I've got a save (with the crashing I'm getting, I've got a LOT of saves), so let's see if I can recover from this. I haven't got enough for even one raise dead scroll, but maybe I can sell old scrolls and potions.

First, I have to trudge back to camp with nobody in the stealth slot. We managed to make it back to camp without incident. Oh, wait, I'll want to rest so I better do my troop movements now. Let's go push over that tower on the way to the target city. Yay! Won with no casualties! Now... frak. Now the camp moved to the new location, of course. So, trudge all the way to camp again. Right at the very last instant, something happens.

It isn't an encounter, though. In fact, I'm in my commander's tent!? The camp is being attacked! Great, my paladin is down, as is my 2nd best damage dealer. I've only got Lann with me. OK, let's see what's out there. Well, there's Camillia (sp?), who I've barely used since the prelude - glad I gave her that new elven curved sword and the ability to use it. And there's... my paladin!? She's got low hit points, but she doesn't have negative levels! Sadly, it seems Woljif has run away - which is surprising. Last I saw, there wasn't enough left of Woljif to make a stew.

I'm off to the Lost Chapel now, and I'm quite pleased. I saved 12K in raise dead scrolls, plus whatever the restoration of levels would have cost!

Back
Top Bottom