PC Gamer - Best RPGs of All Time

Any "best RPGs of all time" list that includes games published the past couple of years is dubious in my mind. At least wait five years to see if a game holds up.

Yes, the original campaign was panned for various reasons. But the second NWN2 campaign--Mask of the Betrayer--was well received. Have you tried it?

I thought the list is about games.
Not about which game has best additional content - even if the game is rotten.

Is NWN2 on the list? As in the Original Campaign? Wow, wonders never cease, had to really force myself through that one. The morsels of pleasure were vastly outweighed by a platter of irritations. I honestly wouldn't know where to start if pushed to explain how bad that game was, it'd be a lot quicker to list the three or four good bits. In any list of best ever? What patch were they playing? The complete overhaul patch?

My list would be different from your list and his list would be different from her list etc.

I am not saying it is a bad list, just wouldn't be mine.

Last edited:
This list is a complete joke. There is no mention of the original D&D titles in there and having Diablo III is a huge mistake. Arcanum was a great concept but was too broken to play so how does it beat out titles like Wizardry or Wizardry 8? Why are the sequels mentioned without giving proper credit to the original like KOTOR? Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition and Torchlight 2 are probably somebody's favorite RPG's but they wouldn't rank with most gamers.

Last edited:
Having Dungeons of Dreadmoor in there opens the list up to rogue-likes and DoD is very, very low on my all-time favourite rogue-likes.

To me this list just says "blah, blah, games, blah, Torments better than BG2 so suck it"

I agree with every game in the list I played.
They did go for the heavy hitters like the Gothics,Diablo,Elder Scrolls and Witchers.
I think some homage to Gold box titles is severely missing

Planescape Torment? Really? Get out of here. The list does contain some that should be on there. DOS, Fallout NV, DAO, Skyrim. As far as the Gothic series are concerned, 2 is so overrated, 1 and 3 are both better. Also, IMO, Two Worlds 2 should be on that list.

Well one thing you can always count on is the comments being very entertaining with Best RPG lists. Personally I have no problem with his list as I enjoyed playing them all.
So thanks for sharing the link Aubrielle.:party:

Nice to see Witcher so high already, in time it will climb even higher. In my view it is entangled in eternal struggle for the first place with Torment.

Nice to see Witcher so high already, in time it will climb even higher. In my view it is entangled in eternal struggle for the first place with Torment.

Until Blood&Wine comes out and Witcher kicks it in the balls. :p

Yeah Undertale is a surprise.

How? This stuff is considered like the new coming. In various polls, it is ranked higher than the best super marios or other games with legendary gameplay.

The surprise is when Undertale does not reach the top part of any list featuring the best games in any category possible.

"The writing in Divinity is consistently top-notch."

This is where I stopped reading, as I'm fairly convinced the author didn't play the game. For all that was good about D:OS, the writing was not and almost destroyed what is a borderline classic for me.

Well one thing you can always count on is the comments being very entertaining with Best RPG lists. Personally I have no problem with his list as I enjoyed playing them all.
So thanks for sharing the link Aubrielle.:party:

Of course! I knew it would liven things up a bit. :)

And the reason I thought Undertale was a surprise was…well…I mean it's up against a lot of RPG classics…Torment, Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate. I always thought of Undertale as a forgettable indie title and nothing I've seen from it impressed me at all…I always just thought of it as Tumblr food.

(said as a Tumblr user, btw)

"The writing in Divinity is consistently top-notch."

This is where I stopped reading, as I'm fairly convinced the author didn't play the game. For all that was good about D:OS, the writing was not and almost destroyed what is a borderline classic for me.

See I liked the writing of D:OS, I found it a nice change of pace after playing so many dark RPG's.

Yeah I also had undertale down as a popular enough indie game, but one of the best rpgs of all time?

Yeah I also had undertale down as a popular enough indie game, but one of the best rpgs of all time?

I guess when you publish something in PC gamer it should be held to a higher standard. Though the person writing the article might think it is one of the best games of all time.

Let us not forget Ultima's were indie games, for that matter most of the AAA companies started off a indie companies.

Pretty decent list.

The only title that I *know* I'd erase is Mass Effect 2, which in my eyes was nothing but a second rate "interactive movie" with the interactive parts being third rate action on dull levels. I'd sooner accept angry birds as a "real" rpg than that title.

Couldn't disagree more strongly with you.

That's fine, people have different views, but to me the Mass Effect trilogy is a complete masterwork both in the setting and the storytelling. The gameplay/character building is acceptable and fitting enough to enable a player to enjoy the games to their full extent. I sometimes wish I could hit my head to forget that I ever played Mass Effect, so I could experience it all anew.

The game that stinks to me is Diablo 3. If anything, either Diablo 1 or 2 would have made a decent entry in the list.

"Masterwork" or not, Mass Effect isn't much of an RPG anymore, and it was a "best RPGs of all time" list. At least we can agree that Diablo 3 is the biggest laugh on the list.

The game "journalists" nowadays are kids in their early twenties who don't know anything about the past except they will insert one or two "old-skewl" game in their list to look "edgy". You can't ask these people to make a list like this.

Back
Top Bottom