PC games denied DLC

But no matter what they do, they cannot take away those great games of what I still play, like Gothic-, Balfur's Gate-, Icewind Dale- and original Falloit series. ;)

Its all about money my fellow watchers. Just like a song from the past called
The O'Jays – For The Love Of Money.People will do anything for money.

On the other hand, companies like Valve and Blizzard ARE making money (and from USA too :) ). Creators of STALKER is another example of making money and selling millions of copies.

PC is a bit harder place to make money, since PC gamers are expecting really good games, or they stick with the old ones or so. But if you succeed and allow comprehensive modding, the game can keep living for years and people ARE buying it. I wonder how many copies of NWN have been totally sold and how much does it STILL sell every day.

Blizzard still consumes an … astonishingly big part ... of the shelves here.

I think the point I was trying to make was that if the PC dies as a gaming platform it isn't because of the lack of consumer interest, it's because the publishers are lazy and only care about the easy money. Capitalism kills diversity.

I think the point I was trying to make was that if the PC dies as a gaming platform it isn't because of the lack of consumer interest, it's because the publishers are lazy and only care about the easy money. Capitalism kills diversity.
That's true, but it won't happen.

PC gaming isn't dying by any stretch of the imagination. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm was the fastest selling Blizzard (Maybe PC, too) game of all time. The number of Steam users continues to rise. GOG is going from strength to strength. The market is different to the console one, but publishers don't treat it like one. Yes, we will play multiplatform games like Fallout: New Vegas as long as they're good, and as long as the PC gets proper support and a "proper" version of the game, but I doubt console-esque games like Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider generally do that well on PC. If you look at a number of PC exclusives like Dawn of War II and Civilization V, they're high quality titles with a good level of polish.

I think publishers might see it as they can't win with us. We complain if we get a console game(Or, in the case of some games, a "consolised" game) for whatever reason - Bad performance (GTA IV), no HUD changes for other control methods (Alone in the Dark 5, I'm looking at you), no DLC or post-release support (Saints Row 2 after a small number of patches) - and then we complain if we don't get them. I'd kill for a copy of Civ Revolution for the PC, and there's many who want Red Dead Redemption too.

Capitalism kills diversity.

Yes, because monopoly is the greatest thing in capitalism.

Just imagine ! You have a monopoly over a certain market ! You can DICTATE the prices as you wish !

That's why currently companies try hard to become bigger and bigger ... And to monopolize the markets they're in ...

And this is their strategy : Lower the prices for several years (or even decades, if necessary) so much that others just can't keep up ... and have to give up - meaning they go bancrupt.

And THEN, when most of the competition (or all bigger competition at least) is erased, THEN inflate the prices !

Here, in my own town, a book shop with a long, long tradition (50 years ?) has to close because not too far away a book store chain has opened a shop ...

This is just crushing ny opposition ... err, competition until ONLY chains remain ... And these are the biggest companies available ... They will especially make efforts to crush small shops, tiny retail shops, those who can't compete with huge companies (and their chain shops) at all. ... And the less the oppo... competition, the more profits await ! Because then it's monopoly, and you can dictate the prices as you like ...

Microsoft is the best example for this way of capitalism.

Except that in the EU, and possibly the US, monopolisation isn't allowed.

Yes but it doesn't stop company's from trying and sometimes getting away with it while making as much money as possible. Some of the larger companies have already cornered a vast market and can dictate prices. The wonders of free markets ruin the country while making vast amounts of money.

I've never bought DLC so it doesn't matter to me.

By the time I'm done with the normal game I'm not in the mood to play it any more.

I'm not saying their business practices are rosy and wonderful, but they're not a monopoly. They got slapped on the wrists by the EU government for "forcing" Internet Explorer upon people.

Well, that browser menu is as stupid as they come.

Why EU didn't force all the platforms to have same kind of behavior then? :(

Most of Linux distributions come with Firefox pre-installed. And OS X comes with Safari.

There are literal monopolies and de facto monopolies. Aside from John Carmack, who makes linux ports of A-list games?

Really? Apple seem to be doing pretty well for themselves, and Linux (Especially distros like Red Hat) aren't doing bad in the server market, either.

Nonsense.

What would the world look like if some people hadn't decided to build Linux ?

And apple … Does it run on PCs ?

On the PC latdform, we have what I call a "quasi-Monopoly". How many different PC OSses do you know besides Linux with a substancial market share ?

Plus, Microsoft just acts as if they could do anything they want. This doesn't have anything to do with real laws. It is in my opinion common practise to write things into (their and others) EULAs which aren't even covered by local law - they just do as if what they put into their EULAs was local law ... And the result is the public believing [in] them.

They're not really interested in giving in the EU, for example, you can see it in all of the lawyer's tricks they used during the EU trial.

Yes, because monopoly is the greatest thing in capitalism.

Just imagine ! You have a monopoly over a certain market ! You can DICTATE the prices as you wish !

That's why currently companies try hard to become bigger and bigger … And to monopolize the markets they're in …

And this is their strategy : Lower the prices for several years (or even decades, if necessary) so much that others just can't keep up … and have to give up - meaning they go bancrupt.

And THEN, when most of the competition (or all bigger competition at least) is erased, THEN inflate the prices !

Here, in my own town, a book shop with a long, long tradition (50 years ?) has to close because not too far away a book store chain has opened a shop …

This is just crushing ny opposition … err, competition until ONLY chains remain … And these are the biggest companies available … They will especially make efforts to crush small shops, tiny retail shops, those who can't compete with huge companies (and their chain shops) at all. … And the less the oppo… competition, the more profits await ! Because then it's monopoly, and you can dictate the prices as you like …

Microsoft is the best example for this way of capitalism.

That is the Walmart method of business. Walmart, in their quest to become the One World Store, floods a market with stores of various sizes, within 5-10 miles of each other. This causes smaller stores and even large chain stores to go under nearby. After the majority of the competition drys up, the smaller stores are closed, and they consolidate into a single, Super Store.

The shopping centers that Walmart builds in die, as no one can afford to put a store in the massive empty ones being left vacant. In the end, it causes massive job losses from both the small businesses that leave, and the Walmart stores that are inevitably closed down after the competition is killed off.

There are towns that have died around here because they allowed Walmart in, and now they have nothing at all there. There are sections in bigger cities which are the same way; building after building standing empty and derelict, with one large Walmart in the center of the devastation.

It is very, very poor economic sense to allow a Walmart in your town/area, and even worse economic sense to support them.

Yes, we have a similar tendency here - it's called "shopping centres".
Because, where there's one shopping centre, at least a few retail stores are likely to close, plus, in these shopping centres there are almost only shops of chains, I noticed recently.

We have a recent example here : A book shop with a long history spanning several decades - now it mut close, becuse in the newest town centre - which is located in the middle of the town centre itself - a store of a book-selling chain has opened. Bigger store, superior prices ... well, that's the result. Especially with the "greed for cheap" (so to say) mind set which is here for about 10 years or so now.

This mind set has destroyed a LOT of shops here. Role-playing games shops and comics shops have nearly died out. Even toy shop have become a rarity here, I don't know why. And I just noticed only because our newest shopping centre just doesn't have a single one. Even customers complained about it. Seemingly the shopping centre management has totally forgottn that - that, or they found no-one who was willing to risk it there with high rent fees ...

And now, this mind set has reached the minds of the employers ...

I call this "americanization" of Germany. Not language-specific, then ;) , but the course of the general wages and salaries. And because of that, other countries are currently considering Germaning a low-wages country ... And yet millions of people have to have help from the state ...

Back
Top Bottom