Personal things you don't need to know

No thank you as food prices are already insane and California showed what will happen when you raise minimum wage to $20 dollars. Staff is laid off and prices go up again.

Last edited:
We've got a Whataburger like that in Austin too. All those places do is eliminate human contact when placing the order (which is actually already available at most fast food places via website or app), and when receiving the order (this is the new part). Of course humans are still preparing the food and packaging it, they can still screw up your order just as easily, so it wouldn't do anything to solve your complaint.

Meh fully automated with machines making the food is the next step.

I'd rather have the occasional human mistake than food entirely prepared and delivered by machines. Even more so if people used to have that job (despite the fact they're obviously exploited).

It's inevitable you can't stop progress or mess with corporate profits.

So I'm done with the first operation. Right eye. Took 15 minutes plus overhead. It went very well, didn't feel a thing. Vision on the affected eye is already quite good despite some blurring due to edema. By tomorrow things should start looking great. BTW, I decided to keep my -4 myopia, as I'm used to that and can comfortably read without glasses. And if I'm lucky I don't have to buy new ones either (glasses, not eyes).

Left eye is due for surgery the upcoming tuesday.

pibbuR

PS.
combination_vision_test.png

BTW, I decided to keep my -4 myopia, as I'm used to that and can comfortably read without glasses.
A common practice is to keep one eye slightly myopic and the other one with the nominal correction - or so I've been told. That way, you can still see well from a distance and read without glasses at the same time.

It's a little uncomfortable at first, but the brain quickly tricks you into believing both eyes see well in any situation. Sometimes, the eye which doesn't see well tends to get out of focus a little, which must look funny; it takes some practice to keep it focused when that happens. But in general, it's very convenient.

The fact that tests you have to pass (for ex, if you're a driver or a pilot) are performed with both eyes at the same time helps tremendously with this method. ;)

At my age I still would need glasses/lenses for the distances in between. I'm quite used to wearing glasses, and a high quality pair of progressive ones works very well for me.

pibbuR

PS. I actually have two pairs, one general purpose pair, and one especially adapted to computer work (wider area for the distance between me and my monitors). DS

Last edited:
Status: I can see clearly now the cataract has gone. ... Gone are the dark(?) clouds that made me blindish.

Yes, vision is sharp. There are some disturbances like a bit of flickering and thin halos around bright light sources. But all in all things are good. And as suspected, colors are definitely brighter (what I see through my left eye is dull compared to the right one). This may actually be a (very temporarily) "problem", because I'm painting a picture at the moment and my changed perception may without doubt affect how I view the colours I have used in that picture. We'll see.

So far it seems that I will still be able to use my general purpose glasses, but I may have to get new ones for sitting at the computer. Won't know for sure until 2 months have passed.

pibbuR

PS. This is the picture I'm painting, my 65 million years old ammonite. It's not finished, until know I've only been working on establishing the volume and shadows. And (what I until now have perceived as) the dominating colours. Not finished with that yet, and then there are all the details. Another 10 hours of work at least
IMG_20240213_132440.jpg
DS.

Last edited:
Left eye operated today. Like the last time, it went very smoothly. So everything is on the green. Or rather, since cataract do disturb color vision, after surgery everything is less blue.

Still a bit cloudy on the left, but that's temporary. I expect to see even more of the wife's wrinkles this time tomorrow.

pibbuR

PS.
I asked my ophthalmologist about using narcosis for the operation (not because I wanted that, just out of interest). We very rarely do that in Norway. Usually only for people with Down's syndrome or others who can't understand what's happening. (We similarly often had to use narcosis in these cases when performing xray examinations).

But he said it's common in Germany. That worries me because: 1) Increased risk for complications with general anesthesia (yes, occasionally people die even under minor surgical interventions). 2) It's a waste of resources.

I would never ask for general anesthesia for procedures like this.
DS.

Last edited:
I asked my ophthalmologist about using narcosis for the operation (not because I wanted that, just out of interest). We very rarely do that in Norway. Usually only for people with Down's syndrome or others who can't understand what's happening. (We similarly often had to use narcosis in these cases when performing xray examinations).

But he said it's common in Germany. That worries me because: 1) Increased risk for complications with general anesthesia (yes, occasionally people die even under minor surgical interventions). 2) It's a waste of resources.

I would never ask for general anesthesia for procedures like this.
DS.
Thanks for asking! (I had raised this topic earlier.) I would still ask for narcosis, because of the following: May be I have too vivid imagination, but seeing sharp instruments getting near my eye would scare me deeply, even if I knew, that it wouldn't hurt.

I even have this at the dentist: With local anaesthesia you feel no pain, but you feel them doing something with your body and that feels very uncomfortably for me, because I can't avoid thinking, what would happen, if they slip with their instruments or whatever. So I even hate teeth operations with local anaesthesia. In fact something like that happened to me once: When removing a wisdom tooth, they used a defect drill, which got hot. I didn't feel this, because of local anaesthesia and the dentist didn't feel it because they wore gloves. So I only realised that my cheek was burnt from the inside after the anaesthesia ceased. That wound needed two weeks to heal. While this wouldn't have been prevented by narcosis, it may explain my feelings under such operations.

Regarding the risk of complications I got told, that this only a relevant risk the first time you get narcosis. Once you had it the first time without complications, the risk decreases to nearly zero for the next one (because most complications are a kind of allergic reaction against the substances used). And since I already had one, I don't fear a risk there. The cost may be a valid argument, but you could ask people to pay for it as an extra service, if they want it.

But may be there is another possibility: For colonoscopies they often use substances, which basically make you sleep (so it is not a narcosis, but feels like one). They even used that for me during a heart operation (not at the open heart but with a catheter). This should have a much lower risk and might be useful in such situation.

Left eye operated today. Like the last time, it went very smoothly. So everything is on the green. Or rather, since cataract do disturb color vision, after surgery everything is less blue.

Still a bit cloudy on the left, but that's temporary. I expect to see even more of the wife's wrinkles this time tomorrow.

pibbuR
Now that they replaced the lenses, do you also get the accommodation back to some extent? I thought it was the case, but I'm not sure since you said progressive glasses were still necessary.

Thanks for asking! (I had raised this topic earlier.) I would still ask for narcosis, because of the following: May be I have too vivid imagination, but seeing sharp instruments getting near my eye would scare me deeply, even if I knew, that it wouldn't hurt.
This. I don't think I could undergo that procedure while awake.

A common practice is to keep one eye slightly myopic and the other one with the nominal correction - or so I've been told. That way, you can still see well from a distance and read without glasses at the same time.

It's a little uncomfortable at first, but the brain quickly tricks you into believing both eyes see well in any situation. Sometimes, the eye which doesn't see well tends to get out of focus a little, which must look funny; it takes some practice to keep it focused when that happens. But in general, it's very convenient.
Can confirm about the brain being able to trick you with eyesight. Or something like that.
I have varying degrees of astigmatism in both eyes, but my left eye also has a wrinkled retina caused by an embolism in the back of the eyeball. If I close my right eye then lines appear to have little wobbles in them. It's sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between 3, 6, 8, or 9. And plenty of other character combinations.
But open both eyes (with my glasses on, of course), everything looks fine. I assume my right eye is overcompensating, because at the end of the day it seems to get a bit tired and the wobbles start to appear again.

Can confirm about the brain being able to trick you with eyesight. Or something like that.
I have varying degrees of astigmatism in both eyes, but my left eye also has a wrinkled retina caused by an embolism in the back of the eyeball. If I close my right eye then lines appear to have little wobbles in them. It's sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between 3, 6, 8, or 9. And plenty of other character combinations.
But open both eyes (with my glasses on, of course), everything looks fine. I assume my right eye is overcompensating, because at the end of the day it seems to get a bit tired and the wobbles start to appear again.
Yes, it's fortunate it can adapt, especially with all those little things thrown at us.

I'm glad it went well, pibbuR. You're far braver than I, the mere idea of someone fiddling with my eyes would sent me into a panic.
Can't say I'm particularly brave. Around 40 000 operations in Norway each year (20 000 patients), very rarely with narcosis. I suppose a number of them were quite anxious before the procedure but afterwards there are few patient groups more satisfied after treatment (my vision is almost normal now, one day after surgery).

For the record: You don't see the instruments coming at you. I didn't feel the manipulation of my eye either, the only sign that they were doing something was the bright light from the operation lamp seemingly moving. And it just took 15 minutes.

I didn't find the procedure scary at all, not before and not after. I suppose that may have something to do with my background as a doctor has-been. It's just another procedure. And since it was mentioned - I had a colonoscopy last summer. Fully awake, that's the norm here. I have a colonoscopy every fifth year, since both my patents had rectal cancer. No big deal, again just another procedure (and watching the instrument maneuvering all the way to the distal jejunum is fascinating.) What bothered me was the 24 hour long procedure for emptying my intestines.

Now for the narcosis or induced sleeping bit. I admit I am a bit on thin ice here, but... I think there may still be problems even if the first time was uncomplicated. The drugs used may vary depending on the type of procedure or where (in the geography sense) the procedure is performed. New drugs appear over time. And you get older.

For cataract surgery I'm not sure that just sleeping is enough. You have to keep your eye still, and you can't control that while unconscious. During full narcosis muscle paralyzing agents are used. I guess you could combine induced sleep with injection of anesthetics behind the eye, which would paralyze the eye muscles. But again, I'm no expert.

Regarding the type of lenses used, there are multifocal lenses which support at least some accommodation, but they are EXPENSIVE and, unlike regular lenses, not covered by public healthcare. For my operations I paid a patient share of all in all (for two eyes) 1600 NOK (150 USD), of which in my case, because there is a limit to patient self-payment per year, 50% will be refunded. If I wanted accommodating lenses, it would cost me 70 000 NOK (6600 USD). Since I'm used to wearing glasses I wasn't particularly interested in that.

pibbuR, after 24 hours no longer one eyed.

Last edited:
I got new glasses yesterday, and it's my first pair with progressive lenses. Talk about an adjustment. Right now I hate them, but I was told it takes a few days to adjust?

I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl. There's so much distortion when I look side to side. Is this normal in the beginning?

Back
Top Bottom