Pillars of Eternity II - Obsidian Teaser

I have yet to finish my 2nd attempt at a playthrough with PoE with the full DLC expansion. To be honest, am spending much more time with Caves of Qud. It is an incredible game for still being in EA.

Eh, I'm in the same boat. Picked it not long after release and been playing it ∼ 10 min a day, before quitting...most of it goes for the game to fire up and the loading screens anyway.
I'll be done in about four hundred days or so.

I've played PoE 2 times through. Once without addon content (almost right after the release) and much later again with addon content. My first character was an human cipher wielding two handed swords and bows. Then I created wood elf wizzard which was pretty darn awesome playthrough. My current character is a heart orlan barbarian and I'm enjoying replaying the game through again. :)

I think the system Sawyer has created is quite intresting as it allows all kinds of builds. Don't be so hesitant to say its bad. The whole point was to get rid of dump stats. Every stat serves some purpose which I like. And feats are generally well thought out as well.
I don't get why people find it so confusing. Its just different compared to d&d. Its not perfect, but there are many intresting ideas behind this design.

edit:

New image and quote up on http://www.obsidian.net/la/. Reference the Leaden Key directly and it very much read like something Aloth would say.

That's the problem. CC or absurd defenses (usually as a result of both debuffs to lower their hit chance combined with an increase in defenses) is the only way to power, and that just leads to long, dragged out fights with enemies that can't hit you, either because they're too bogged down with debuffs or because they're flat out incapacitated.

It did get a little better after the patching and DLCs, but not enough.

CC or absurd defenses?? Long dragged out fights against incapacitated enemies?

May I suggest focusing on a damage dealing party next time. Most enemies dying in two hits speed up fights. ;)

edit:

New image and quote up on http://www.obsidian.net/la/. Reference the Leaden Key directly and it very much read like something Aloth would say.

CC or absurd defenses?? Long dragged out fights against incapacitated enemies?

May I suggest focusing on a damage dealing party next time. Most enemies dying in two hits speed up fights. ;)

I guess thats modern game design,win or win more. :p

I guess thats modern game design,win or win more. :p

Going by how the PoE official forums and reddit still get weekly threads about the game being too hard, I don't think it's a "modern win or win more" game as you seems to believe.

Going by how the PoE official forums and reddit still get weekly threads about the game being too hard, I don't think it's a "modern win or win more" game as you seems to believe.

I was being silly. I don't think thats true for Pillars but yeah other modern games for sure.

You do need to really understand the rules to get the most out of Pillars through and I find D&D much more intuitive and easy to pick up funnily enough. Sadly the fun factor wasn't there for me.

I quite enjoyed PoE and I'm looking forward to PoE 2. It's no more difficult than many PnP game systems I've played.

I quite enjoyed PoE and I'm looking forward to PoE 2. It's no more difficult than many PnP game systems I've played.

I think if the in-game effects of abilities had been more noticeable/understandable I would of picked it up faster. A +5% to whatever does not get me enthused or even noticing effect and cause making it an up hill battle to get into. The list of effects scrolls by too quickly for me and when I read it I still don't grasp who's been effected by what. (The bestiary is a nice touch). But then every effect expires quite quickly too and I'm not often able to take advantage of it because my party members have wandered off or weren't able to get into position.

Its really one of those systems where its presentation of elements works against people easily grasping its elements. The action on screen is a pause-a-thon much more than the IE games because you have so many abilities you are also expected to use them all the time too. The game would play much much better turn based and classless which is obviously what Obsidian really wanted to make given this design would work better designed as such imo of course.

You do need to really understand the rules to get the most out of Pillars through and I find D&D much more intuitive and easy to pick up funnily enough. Sadly the fun factor wasn't there for me.

I'm not sure why you find it funny. D&D was designed to be easy to pick up for live gameplay (even more so 5e).

POE was designed with the idea that a computer can handle complex math and timers.

I'm not sure why you find it funny. D&D was designed to be easy to pick up for live gameplay (even more so 5e).

POE was designed with the idea that a computer can handle complex math and timers.

Well its funny to me because Pillars was obviously designed to be more accessible but was rather obtuse where as d&d has a reputation as being a system with a lot of dice rolls and math and therefore harder to pick up but was rather logical to me.

Another new image today and 5 more to go.

A feather with stars, everyone says "Hello Pallegina". Her quote suggest we play the same character, unless she is talking to Edér/Aloth there.

Tomorrow image should be interesting, because Edér, Aloth and Pallegina were hinted at coming back by Josh over the last few months, but not the others. The next 5 image/quote could be new characters.

This is just Sawyer making a prank, but we don't get his sense of humor. ;)

As long as they keep relying on 'ugoigo' players as their main audience, there will be nothing to see.
A RTwP, no matter its quality, will always be a poor'ugoigo' product.

ugoigo? What kind of player is a ugoigo player?

Hugo Igor, I think ????

ugoigo? What kind of player is a ugoigo player?
Players who play 'ugoigo' products.
It caused a distortion for products like PoE or Tyranny. Having a main audience of 'ugoigo' players means they expect to play those products as if they were 'ugoigo'.

How is PoE or Tyranny's main audience a 'ugoigo' audience? Most of the backers are probably big Infinity Engine RPG fans, and those aren't turn-based games.

And what about 'igougo' players? Or my preference, 'igoudontgo'. :p ugoigo weallgo for ice cream!

Back
Top Bottom