Pillars of Eternity II - Patch 1.1

GOG Galaxy update worked fine for me last night.
I'm not using Galaxy.

I'm using the separate installers you can download. Yet the dlc files are ok but the main patch file is corrupted. Not the first time this happened either with how GOG patches.

Both Witcher 2 & 3 were nightmares to install separate patches.

Last edited:
When I do obtain this game, rest assured I will do so through good old games. The only times I'll revert to Steam is if GoG simply doesn't carry the title that I'm looking for, which doesn't happen a lot.

When I do obtain this game, rest assured I will do so through good old games. The only times I'll revert to Steam is if GoG simply doesn't carry the title that I'm looking for, which doesn't happen a lot.
Yep everyone on Steam always says the GOG version has lower sales. I even remember it being mentioned here also, but I will always buy the GOG version over steam.

Well I was correct here is part of a reply from GOG.

POE II patch is broken; will be re-uploaded when we fix it as it's broken on our end.

How's that faith in GoG working out for you, Couch? ;)

I used to buy on GoG a lot, but my support for DRM-free has taken a back seat to the convenience of a single library. While I have maybe a hundred games on GoG, I have ten times that many on Steam. In essence, I prefer Steam for the simple fact that it came first.

Not to mention the fact that Greenmangaming practically always has a 20% off voucher ready to go for any Steam game/key.

How's that faith in GoG working out for you, Couch? ;)
Still good as I like DRM Free games though I hate the patching process.:p

People circlejerking about Sawyer balancing the fun out of the game need to realize that the game wasn't fun before this patch. You facerolled over everything from start to finish, whereas now there's actually a decent challenge between levels 1-12. I'd say the lower levels on PoTD are actually the most unforgiving of any game of this type, and I love it!

Sorry but IMO the game was fun. What wasn't fun is atrocious c&c connected to the first game and pisspoor c&c during Eternity2 playthrough.
What needed fixing is that part, not "lack of combat challenge".

A game with as much character progression as Pillars needs challenging combat. What's the point of planning your build and strategy if every encounter is going to be a breeze?

A game with as much character progression as Pillars needs challenging combat. What's the point of planning your build and strategy if every encounter is going to be a breeze?

Problem is you end up with having to focus on optimal builds to win whch sucks the life out of a rpg and turns it into a tactical game. This kinda spoiled the last Divinity for me.

Well, that's the point of a Difficulty Slider! But before now, Hard/PotD was practically non-existent.

Well he's got his work cut out for him. Seems he already tattooed patch notes on himself.

As Drithius said that is the point of the difficulty slider. If you don't want to make optimal builds (I dislike doing that myself, goes against a lot of the role playing for me) make what you want and lower the difficulty. I find a difficulty setting that lets me have some challenge but also lets me play the way I want.

I disagree that you have to make optimal builds to win. An experienced player can make any party work, and min/maxing attributes doesn't confer that much of an adventage due to the way the POE system is designed. Most sidequests can be completed passively or using stealth, so you have a lot of ways to develop your character without combat.

Also shoutout to Obsidian for making a CRPG where rogues are actually fun and useful. I find myself using stealth, lockpicking, pickpocketing, traps, explosives, poisons, and ambushes quite frequently. Some quest paths are specifically tailored around stealth, with alarm systems and patrolling guards that will spawn mobs if you're noticed.

Last edited:
But you see, this goes exactly to the whole point of this discussion. If in ‘balancing’ the rpg the developer has now required me to use difficulty sliders when playing on a ‘normal’ setting then that suggests the whole balancing problematic to begin with. When role playing is secondary to optimizing a ‘build’ it steals some of the enjoyment for me. By the way - shout out to Subnautica hich while not exactly an rpg was a fantastic gaming experience that is under the radar.

Problem is you end up with having to focus on optimal builds to win whch sucks the life out of a rpg and turns it into a tactical game. This kinda spoiled the last Divinity for me.
You didn't need anywhere close to an "optimal" build to succeed at D:OS2 at the default difficulty. The source-point-requiring skills are so ridiculously overpowered that it really nullifies most everything - because of those skills, and also the absurd armor system, D:OS2 wasn't anything even remotely close to a "tactical game". That said, I think you have a valid point, I just think D:OS2 was an extremely poor example to present.

When role playing is secondary to optimizing a ‘build’ it steals some of the enjoyment for me.

You don't have to optimize though. If you're skilled enough then you can get through PoTD with any build. If you're not skilled enough then just lower the difficulty to veteran.

If anything, I find higher difficulties more enjoyable when I don't powergame.

You are my man.

Back
Top Bottom