Planescape: Torment - Countdown to EE?

And to answer your question, I appreciate RPG developers like Beamdog. Because of them there will be a new generation of interest in classic CRPGs, not even mentioning that they add new content and make the games compatible with modern systems. I don't see how an RPG fan can see that as a negative thing. If you're happy with the originals, play them. They also give you DRM-free copies of the originals as well.

All good points Fluent and you can count me as another excited gamer. Now hopefully Beamdog will enhance Icewind Dale 2, and officially announce their new RPG game.

Dang, I forgot they planned a new game. Agreed on IWD 2 as well. Good stuff. :)

All right. That's an impressive circle-jerk but hear me out. I'm only saying fuck brief enjoyment you speak of. It's shallow. We're doing a disservice to ourselves, the gaming community, the industry, customers.

The irony is Codex is probably 100x more beneficial for the industry in the long run, than this credulous attitude of yours. If I could I'd kill it before it spreads.

I am blessed with being able to enjoy all sorts of different things and experiences.

Which is a good thing in life! But it simply doesn't apply here. In this matter you're a customer who's saying piss on me and lemme eat your shit.

I appreciate RPG developers like Beamdog.

Okay.

However you should know they aren't developers in the traditional sense, just re-hashers but w/e… They are supposed to polish yet everything they've made turns out to be unpolished and buggy.

Fan-made mods are 1000x superior and I don't understand why you're asking to pay for a shitty, official-looking version of that and why you're riding their dick with such an unyielding passion.

Last edited:
While the Codex occasionally has good bits in it, it's not some Font of Ultimate Knowledge, either. And if you consider this thread a circle jerk than I am curious what you consider the endless threads of trolls brofisting each other with each one spewing more trash than the last.

That's not to say I don't enjoy skimming the Codex as well. There are some good bits there, no doubt. So if you like it so much there, why are you here?

Which is a good thing in life!

So you should try it then. You'll have much happier gaming experiences at the very least. :)

They are supposed to polish but everything they've made turns out shitty and buggy.
I'll maintain that fan-made mods are 1000x superior. I'm done now.

I didn't find anything shitty or buggy about BG:EE, BG2:EE or IWD:EE. I do have a major complaint with them, though, and that is the multiplayer service. It was very hard to keep the Android versions working together in a multiplayer game in both IWD:EE and BG:EE. They essentially crashed every other time you loaded a game, which was very frustrating. I made them aware of the issue and they are still working (slowly, it seems) to fix it. I gave 'em hell about it as well.

Err I'm not reducing myself to a mindless consumer-drone , farewell (for now)
*casts Almsivi intervention*

That's going to take you a Temple. You need to meditate at a shrine there and come back later. :meditate: :)

My favorite RPG is Morrowind as well, by the way.

If Beamdog must enhance all IE games, I would be interested in IWD2 because that really needs enhancement - I just cannot run it without awful lag unlike all other IE games.

No, not interested in any other EEs because I don't agree with Beamdog's writing nor their "enhancements". I am fine with playing IE games with mods - there are a lot of fantastic mods out there and I don't want to miss out on them. Sure, some mods are now EE compatible but not all. I view EEs as cash grabs, as simple as that. No, I don't play IE games on android and no, I am not interested.

But I can see why some would welcome EE. I do understand the problem with resolution - widescreen mod is great but like JDR mentioned, some things get scaled too tiny.

The things Beamdog are doing with multiplayer are very promising. You can (almost) co-op on different devices, including iPads, Android tablets or PC. So, someone can co-op and play on their tablet while I play on PC, another person on iPad and so on. So playing co-op in the same room, for example, is really simple and effective. I say it almost works because it was finnicky for me, but they are working on it. Android is not only phones, either. We have 10" tablets and the EE games look gorgeous on them. The controls are also excellent. Seems like they were made for touchscreen all along.

I also don't quite understand how one can "not agree" with a developer's writing. In RPGs we've encountered good and terrible things. From mass murder, racism, sexism, villains burning down entire villages and so on. But somehow a few lines about a transexual character and people are drawing the line? Just doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe I would "get it" if I played a Nazi RPG or something that was utterly reprehensible. But Beamdog's work? Not even close.

To be honest, I'm much more interested in hearing about Beamdog's new project. Not to denigrate the EE traditions they've built with their culture up to now or indeed deny the fans of EE's of both IWD2 or PS:T, but more so to simply encourage new and original content from this company going forward.

AD&D, IE and RPG fans generally need this, as it has been far too long since NWN2 and its expansions.

The things Beamdog are doing with multiplayer are very promising. You can (almost) co-op on different devices, including iPads, Android tablets or PC. So, someone can co-op and play on their tablet while I play on PC, another person on iPad and so on. So playing co-op in the same room, for example, is really simple and effective. I say it almost works because it was finnicky for me, but they are working on it. Android is not only phones, either. We have 10" tablets and the EE games look gorgeous on them. The controls are also excellent. Seems like they were made for touchscreen all along.

I also don't quite understand how one can "not agree" with a developer's writing. In RPGs we've encountered good and terrible things. From mass murder, racism, sexism, villains burning down entire villages and so on. But somehow a few lines about a transexual character and people are drawing the line? Just doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe I would "get it" if I played a Nazi RPG or something that was utterly reprehensible. But Beamdog's work? Not even close.

Fluent, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

I don't really like playing IE games as c-op/multiplayer. I like playing these games at my own pace and I find it difficult to do that when there are other players.

What don't you understand about how I can't agree on a developer's writing? You and I are disagreeing with each other on the same topic. It's not any different to that. I especially didn't like the fact they messed around with the original characters' personality. This is not really restricted to Beamdog alone, I didn't like work some of modders did too - characters are no longer consistent. You and I are different and the fact we differ in opinion doesn't surprise me at all. If anything, finding someone with same opinion as me is more surprising. I don't need you to understand my view, I just wish you can respect it.

Sorry, I took your "not agreeing" with it to mean something else. That's a legit reason, no complaints there.

As for multiplayer, I'm just sharing some of the cool things Beamdog is up to. For those who enjoy multiplayer they are doing some neat things.

Sent from my N10 Plus using Tapatalk

Out of all classic RPG this one is probably least in need of an EE.

EE are only there to capitalize on other people's successes and to ride the nostalgia wave. Like KS "successors" but even worse. EE are quick, sloppy, low-effort money schemes for profit, they are pointless for gaming and carry no meaningful substance.

There have been terrific mods out there already which do a much better job in invigorating RPG classics!

Why all the hate? It is just a EE edition of the original game. If you don't like the EE feature, don't buy it.

The release of a EE edition of the game will not hurt the original game in any way.

Why all the hate? It is just a EE edition of the original game. If you don't like the EE feature, don't buy it.

The release of a EE edition of the game will not hurt the original game in any way.

Well, it becomes increasingly difficult to find original version if Beamdog treats PS:T like BGs and IWD1. Good thing is, GoG offers both original and EEs in one package. Praise GoG!!!

Don't see the point here...outside of UI, IE games have aged fairly well. Smaller font can be an issue, but that's more a matter of old age, grim reaper approaching and troubles of poor eyesight ( for some!).
Better to recreate them in more modern engine, third person perspective similar to DA: O.

Blizzard recently announced Starcraft Remaster. They are adding HD graphics and making it work on modern windows while not touching original gameplay at all. This is how BGEE should have been done.
But they lost access to original art and then done different shit to make up for it.
And I bet for PSTEE we are not getting higher res art although I bet they can get original art assets for that game.

Back
Top Bottom