Risen - Steam Runs Out of Keys After Sale

Yea….guess what I should have said and actually meant is play it without a 3rd party shell.

I could give a rat's ass why they are doing it. I just care that:

1) They let me download the whole game and play it offline whenever I want.
2) They fix it so I can play it on today's computers.
3) They offer it up DRM free.

Steam doesn't do #1 or #3.

#3 isn't really a deal breaker for me. If there was some sort of activation for the first time playing it I wouldn't mind. They've been doing that with indies since Vogel first released Exile. You could play the demo up until a point, but then had to register it to unlock the rest of the game. Seems easy and simple enough for me.

Last time I checked the only real competition with Steam was Impulse, GamersGate and Direct2Drive and they weren't doing as well as Steam. Sorta like small companies taking on the corporate giant. GoG is more like a specialty boutique than a true competitor.
I know they're not a true competitor, but I remember the 'conference' where they were 'joking' as if they were.

so, 3rd party shell…
what is the big deal, game automatically updates, the system of handling your games is pretty good, installation is quick and painless.
the fact they're successful is probably related to the fact there are not many downfalls to it.

But if you wanna complain, go ahead.

edit: actually, their prices are way bigger than retail, but they have lots of good actions usually so it kinda makes up for it.

Not complaining, just showing you the difference. Fact is I don't mind steam. I just prefer gog's way of online purchases.

Although, I'd go with an Impulse purchase before Steam if it's available. :)

Back
Top Bottom