RPGs that are/were overestimated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah ! , Nice ! :)

Extremely colourful ! :)

You can call me nuts, but I like this ! :) ;)

Who knows, the game might even be good, too. :)

I'm the exact opposite, I quickly tire of bright, colourful worlds like that of Oblivion. Give me a dark world filled with convicts and orcs like the Gothic world any day.

I agree Maylander. Most of my favorite games have a 'dark & grim' style-the only brightish one I can think of is MM6. In MM7, though the dark returned with a vengeance if you took the evil path, with all of your characters liches.:)

Indeed, one of the fun elements of Might and Magic 7 was the importance of choosing dark or light. Having a party of Warlocks, Liches, Black Knights and Assasins certainly isn't the same as Heroes, Champions, Archmages and so on.

Yeah, but the light side were a bunch of wimps by comparison!! Playing Dark was MUCH easier!!

Hmm, yes, but I felt assaulting the dark city Archibald ruled was easier than the city in the clouds that Gavin Magnus ruled. I never liked fighting those Archangels.

Bah. The archangels weren't that bad. Getting hit by a dozen liches casting shrapnel was far more challenging. There wasn't a very good way to draw them out a few at a time at the "ampitheatre", either.

Those are pretty much my only memories of BG1, too--I enjoyed the woods, the random encounters, the character creation, but once I got to the city I got so frustrated with the AI pathfinding and the ungodly load times that I never wanted to finish it. I sometimes wonder if they got the name for the Infinity engine from the infinity of time it took to load a map. :)

You guys nailed it: The game was very enjoyable but BIOWARE bit off more than they could chew with the city area - the engine could not handle it.

The story wasn't hugely exciting but the whole motivation for BG2 failed for me...I hated Imoen and was quite happy to have her kidnapped - good riddance. Chasing after her because the story required it was frustrating.

Quite understandable - I disliked Imoen too (who didn't?), but the story required it because although you as the PLAYER hated here, you as the CHARACTER grew up with her and were friends.

I guess you could roleplay it the way you would with a real life relative, even a sibling: you may fight a lot, and hardly talk to each other as time passes but you will still be there for each other - certainly when it comes to a life and death issue, heh.

Interestingly enough, Neeshka from NWN2 reminds me of Imoen a little. But she's got an edge to her that makes things interesting with the other characters, hehe.

I have to admit I hated Irenicus - and I don't mean in a "villian you love to hate" either. He just seemed too one dimensional and the voice actor didn't sound sinister enough...sounded bored, even. Hehe.

Quite understandable - I disliked Imoen too (who didn't?), but the story required it because although you as the PLAYER hated here, you as the CHARACTER grew up with her and were friends.

Did the game ever claimed she was a friend or merely stated the PC and her grew up together? I've played it too long ago to accurately remember this but I was under the impression they were not necessarily friends - hence why the game had various sets of responses for her that implied the PC and her never got along if the PC was negative towards her (read: a jerk).

Besides, the ability to ditch her as soon as she forced herself into my party and her rather blatant lack of character and importance to the original's story really didn't do wonders for me when I continued over into BG2. Actually, I don't think I instantly recognized the character when BG2 started.

I don't see how any game in prior history can compete with Oblivion when it comes to most overrated. Maybe it's just because it's so recent, but I think the hype, ridiculous review ratings and strong sales contrasted with the very shallow world and severely dumbed down gameplay is the most stark example of overrated there is.

Chamr, we have an entire thread devoted to discussing Oblivion, precisely to avoid mentioning it anywhere else!! :) That being said, you have a valid point!!

But you can't avoid mentioning Oblivion when you are talking about overrated Games... :)

Chamr, we have an entire thread devoted to discussing Oblivion, precisely to avoid mentioning it anywhere else!!

are you bustin' my b***s?! jeeeezzzz... :p

Fenris said:
But you can't avoid mentioning Oblivion when you are talking about overrated Games...
yeah! what he said! :)

I know, but I have to 'try' to keep things well organised here!! :)

Well the MOST overrated game of ALL TIME is probably Elder Scrolls IV.

(See, didn't use the O word :biggrin: )

are you bustin' my b***s?! jeeeezzzz... :p

I think that we were getting to the point that every thread that mentioned RPG's was boiling down to a back & forth over Oblivion, so he made a 'bash Oblivion' thread.

Yes, see xSamhainx's signature for clarification. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom