RPGWatch Feature - The Aielund Saga Review

I always think it´s sad that no rpg with an "isle of the dead" ever take the opportunity to model Böcklins painting:

Arnold_Böcklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_II_%28Metropolitan_Museum_of_Art%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_the_Dead_(painting)

One of my favourite paintings from the central european symbolism

Last edited:
Here I lure two Duergar packs together for tanking as Maggie burns n zaps 'em with AoEs. With all the corpses that result, I'm thankful for Aielund's/Tony K's Henchman auto-loot system - no more pixel hunting.

from: https://lilura1.blogspot.se/2014/12/the-aielund-saga-act-two-part-v.html

Ok, now I know for sure I did not play with Tony's mod - I always had to manually loot everything. Unless, you are talking about the feature giving a command to henchmen to pick up all loots around the area?

Sounds like you are getting close to the end of chapter two!! :)

Last edited:
just finished it

I think she was talking about the conversation option to have npc:s loot I have no idea if that is from vanilla or ai mod although she keeps mentioning how the enemy ai is improved etc

"Upstairs once more and we find ourselves on the ground level of the Castle. Once alerted to our presence, the many patrolling knights open doors and even bash them down to get to us. I believe this is a feature of Tony K's, and it's very cool."

from https://lilura1.blogspot.se/2014/12/the-aielund-saga-act-two-part-vii.html

Anyway I had some crashes in ch 2 so I´m a bit wary about installing new mods to see if it´s any difference at the moment. My present computer is an over 10 years old laptop so it takes a lot of time to reinstall the game if something breaks

Also I really like how the story progresses it has a very good dramaturgy and still manages too be mostly non-linear except for the beginning and end of every chapter

You also get a very good feel for your companions even though they don´t demand all the modern day bioware conversations

Cool, hope you liked the plot twist at the end of Chapter 2! :)

Hope you won't get any more crashes for the later chapters - remember, this module is still supported on NWN Vault - ask Balkoth for any help if you encounter game breaking bug/crashes.

finished chapter 3
I really hated the drawbridge in the end fight since it made it extremly difficult to select both friends and foes and to have any idea about what your allies were doing and manage the fight (had to replay it 3 times because of characters who were stuck in walls or for that matter were dead but impossible to raise since you couldn´t select them)

But the rest of the chapter was great
It was fun to revisit lots of places and see spring transform them and I think it made a good job with the collecting of allies for fighting the coming doom

Beginning ch 4

For once I have no problem with being stripped of my equipment it fit the story and my inventory was starting to feel seriously bloated
It almost feels like a new start

finished chapter 3
I really hated the drawbridge in the end fight since it made it extremly difficult to select both friends and foes and to have any idea about what your allies were doing and manage the fight (had to replay it 3 times because of characters who were stuck in walls or for that matter were dead but impossible to raise since you couldn´t select them)

But the rest of the chapter was great
It was fun to revisit lots of places and see spring transform them and I think it made a good job with the collecting of allies for fighting the coming doom

Yeah, there is a lot going on in the final battle of chapter 3 but as you correctly said gathering allies for the doom battle was really fun. Did you recognise the druid ally from the first chapter? ;) Yes, Aielund is even more beautiful in warmer season :)

Beginning ch 4

For once I have no problem with being stripped of my equipment it fit the story and my inventory was starting to feel seriously bloated
It almost feels like a new start

Wow! You are making a fast progress. Then again, I couldn't stop playing either ;) Part 1 of chapter 4 is my favourite part of all saga!! Enjoy and please keep me updated on the progress!! I enjoy reading your impressions :)

I was just thinking about The Aielund Saga just the other day. It was my favorite module and now I want to play it again :) Thank you mentioning it because I didn't want it to be overlooked or underappreciated!

I was just thinking about The Aielund Saga just the other day. It was my favorite module and now I want to play it again :) Thank you mentioning it because I didn't want it to be overlooked or underappreciated!

Yes, that was my intention for writing the review - I want more people to experience it (or replay the module :p). Thanks for reading!!! :)

Thanks for writing this review. It made me install my old copy of NWN and try this series of mods out. I was not disappointed. The story was compelling all the way through. I played as a monk. Some of the fights were pretty tough, but not to the point of pulling one's hair out. I can't help but feel the mods favored tanky fighter types, as even a monk had trouble hitting enemies in many of the boss fights (lots of attacks per round, and lots of misses). And I'm not sure if the mechanics of NWN tend to favor armor-based AC bonuses over dexterity/dodge AC bonuses, but my character seemed to be hit a lot more than I would have expected, considering his AC was really high. My heavily armored companions seemed to fare better most of the time.

Regardless, it was great to take a character from total newbie status all the way into high epic character levels, and the stakes of the story rose to match my growing power. I would recommend these mods to anyone, with the caveat that one needs to be careful with their character build. I'm not sure this is an "any type of character can make it through in their own way" kind of mod.

You should try Swordflight.

Might give this a try then. Is this geared for any class in particular?

Thanks for writing this review. It made me install my old copy of NWN and try this series of mods out. I was not disappointed. The story was compelling all the way through. I played as a monk. Some of the fights were pretty tough, but not to the point of pulling one's hair out. I can't help but feel the mods favored tanky fighter types, as even a monk had trouble hitting enemies in many of the boss fights (lots of attacks per round, and lots of misses). And I'm not sure if the mechanics of NWN tend to favor armor-based AC bonuses over dexterity/dodge AC bonuses, but my character seemed to be hit a lot more than I would have expected, considering his AC was really high. My heavily armored companions seemed to fare better most of the time.

Regardless, it was great to take a character from total newbie status all the way into high epic character levels, and the stakes of the story rose to match my growing power. I would recommend these mods to anyone, with the caveat that one needs to be careful with their character build. I'm not sure this is an "any type of character can make it through in their own way" kind of mod.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!! I agree with your assessment that it's probably not for all classes. I played as a rogue in my first run and had to abandon it about half way through chapter 4 because fights to start to become impossible to win. I wasn't sure if that's cause I am a bit of combat noob, but seeing that you had some trouble with your monk maybe not lol. I played as cleric/champion of torm in my second run and it went a lot better.

@Bobo - yes, give it another go!!! :)

Hmm I also wonder if mprod finished this mod by now? Would love to hear his final impression on the mod.

EDIT: Bobo, I think plate wearing characters or casters would be a good choice. I took around druid/cleric/wizard companions and they do good damage, it's just plate wearing main character will be more suitable cause you are always the one who initiates combat/closest to the enemy.

Last edited:
Personally, I played as a Arcane Archer and it worked out just fine.
The only difficult battle is the final boss fight.

As I said, I'm not too good with the combat. And yes, I found final boss battle absolutely brutal :X

I managed to squeak my way through the final boss battle in one try, but I went through all the epic heal potions I'd been hoarding and resurrected my companions many times. I honestly did not think I was going to make it.

I think one of the worst boss battles for me was in Part 2, fighting the dragon that was leading the evil Feybourne druids. My characters just weren't advanced enough to handle the dragon's constant fear aura + the dragon's constant knockdown attacks + its raw hitting power. I ended up having to leave the area and come back much later when I'd leveled up and had better gear. Interestingly, after I left the area (without killing the dragon), some of the dialogue options I had with NPCs indicated that I had killed the dragon and saved the Feybourne. I guess the game didn't expect anybody to make it that far into that area and then turn back.

That is a little strange, I thought the game only assumes that once you acquire head of the dragon. I wonder if it's a bug? But then again, the game assumes certain things here and there.

Can't believe you defeated the final boss in your first go. That was the fight I was pulling my hair out like crazy.

Just letting you guys know, The Aielund Saga received an overhaul :D New versions are out now! Time for replay soon :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom