Shroud of the Avatar - Garriott Sells Real Blood

I remember reading that Garriot never really wanted to do anything except mmos. The early ultimas were very good because he had to create beliavable virtual world due to lack of massive multiplayer. I never really believed the new ultima would be anything else except mmo, and so far it seems to be true. He will never make a singleplayer game again.

It would be nice then to hear an insider's opinion on the question if SotA will somewhen have an enjoyable single player experience. :)

I can answer that now...I have a pretty good grasp of what happened....I don't think those looking for a single player game will find anything more then an average at best experience. This is because they focused to much on the sandbox and tacked on the story after.

Does anyone really know anything about the single-player campaign in this game yet? All I heard was months ago that they are going to focus on the single-player later in the creation cycle, the game was going to be "selective multiplayer" but still have an Ultima single-player campaign, etc. If anyone has some real details about the single-player, please share.

Hmm..I do know how it will be....it will be three storylines, love, courage and I think truth....only one is playable as of now....if you are playing this offline the world is going to look weird because of all the plots and such. So far none of the quests are very good, but they say they are working on this...I have yet to see that.

if you are playing this offline the world is going to look weird because of all the plots and such.
Weird because of plots?

Weird because of plots?

Yes...I guess I shoudl explain that. Each city has dozens of plots that are used for player housing. They plan on filling them with generic housing for the people playing offline. But, these will be just empty homes in the world with no tie in to anything. I'm not sure how they will tie in PoT's(player owned towns) but last I heard they won't be on the map so that means even less towns in game.

When I was still posting on the site I brought up the fact that towns felt dead or like they were ghosttowns because they didn't really have any NPC's or not nearly enough to make them somewhat believable. I don't think this has changed since I got told there was more then enough they didn't want to effect the lag in the cities. This doesn't even get into the fact the majority of the NPC's don't look unique at all, matter of fact I don't recall seeing any memorable NPC's.

I'm not really into mmos but I'd never try playing something like Shroud of Avatar offline when it is clearly designed to be an online game.

I'm not really into mmos but I'd never try playing something like Shroud of Avatar offline when it is clearly designed to be an online game.

Thing is, that wasn't the original plan....they decided that after they got funding, but never have come out and said that.

Back
Top Bottom