Skyrim - Anniversary Edition Announced for November 11

That sounds like it could save a significant amount of time. I don't plan on playing Skyrim anytime soon, but I'm thinking about playthroughs of FO:NV and FO4 in the not too distant future. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Not sure why any modders would have an issue with it.

Because once they're included in such a list (something over which they don't have a say, iirc), they are disallowed from removing their mods for any reason in the future.

Because once they're included in such a list (something over which they don't have a say, iirc), they are disallowed from removing their mods for any reason in the future.

They can't remove it from a list it's already included in, true, but they can still remove it from the general download section. Or at least that's what I've read.

I could see a modder getting annoyed when they want to replace their mod with a newer version they've made, but they'll just have to upload it separately now instead of replacing the older file. That means lists will sometimes have inferior versions of some mods, but that's up to the user to decide.

I think there's two main things bugging the modders. First is just losing their autonomy to remove their mods from the Nexus if they wish. The second is that if their mods are subsumed into large packs, they will get less engagement and support on their individual mods. Then of course, the Nexus is monetising the idea of automatically installed packs, by making it a paid membership feature.

It think it's a pity, because I've always subscribed to the idea that modding should be like an open source endeavour, where everybody builds on everyone else's work. But ego was always a problem, and now money is much more involved. It's going to be a mess.

They can't remove it from a list it's already included in, true, but they can still remove it from the general download section. Or at least that's what I've read.

I could see a modder getting annoyed when they want to replace their mod with a newer version they've made, but they'll just have to upload it separately now instead of replacing the older file. That means lists will sometimes have inferior versions of some mods, but that's up to the user to decide.
No once the mod is on a list it can't be removed or deleted by the modder. Hence why some of the mods taken down on the Nexus have migrated to a new site.

The Nexus has a few blog updates on this very topic. The modders have till a certain date to remove their mods. After that the policy takes effect and they lose control.
https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/profile/4-arthmoor/content/&type=downloads_file

Not the first, but one of the most noticeable. I have no pity for the Nexus; they brought this fragmented mess upon themselves. They took away an author's management rights - TO THEIR OWN CREATIONS - to implement something behind a paywall. It would have been bad enough without the latter part.
Yeah I read about that new site last week.

Some of those mods were the best ones on the nexus. Anyhow I love the Nexus but the sites administration decided to become more commercial in the last few years.

It's not about the mods but about the money now.:(

Last edited:
I think there's two main things bugging the modders. First is just losing their autonomy to remove their mods from the Nexus if they wish. The second is that if their mods are subsumed into large packs, they will get less engagement and support on their individual mods.

And third, dealing with making sure their mod works correctly with all of the other mods with which they share a list. Most modders have always tried to maintain compatibility with other (especially popular) mods, but now they have that obligation basically forced on them, with no ability to decide which mods with which to ensure compatibility. Whoever is putting together these collections certainly isn't doing any of that work.

And third, dealing with making sure their mod works correctly with all of the other mods with which they share a list. Most modders have always tried to maintain compatibility with other (especially popular) mods, but now they have that obligation basically forced on them, with no ability to decide which mods with which to ensure compatibility. Whoever is putting together these collections certainly isn't doing any of that work.

Here's a funny thing, though - I actually suggested the idea of automated mod packs to Dark0ne at the Nexus, about ten years ago. And he told me it wouldn't fly, because mod authors wouldn't be happy about their work becoming part of a pack. :p

At the time we were working on the STEP project, and creating all sorts of merges and patches to make it all work smoothly. So I think some creators of mod collections do take on that responsibility for making it all work together. In fact, I'd say it's not even feasible for mod authors to make sure their work is compatible with everyone else's - it's really got to be down to the specific pack curators.

TBH, part of the reason I got fed up with it was a small number of mod authors being very hostile, even without the idea of automated packs. I always found it a bit frustrating, because pretty much everything that goes on in the mod community is dependent on work and tools provided by other modders.

At the time we were working on the STEP project, and creating all sorts of merges and patches to make it all work smoothly. So I think some creators of mod collections do take on that responsibility for making it all work together. In fact, I'd say it's not even feasible for mod authors to make sure their work is compatible with everyone else's - it's really got to be down to the specific pack curators.

I'm familiar with STEP and similar projects, so I'm familiar with the work they've done to get their mod list to play nice together. But does Nexus do that with their collections? I honestly don't know. The impression I have is that it's more like a year end greatest hits list and less of a cohesive project like STEP.

And if it is more hands-off, what happens when a mod author updates? Is there someone who is going to go through every mod in the pack and make sure it still works with the changes made to that mod?

I dunno, I never found putting together a modded game all that hard to do in the first place. There are a lot of tools out there (I found Wyrebash particularly useful), and as you point out, there were already curated lists like STEP. DarkOne should have stuck to his guns. ;)

I've actually no idea how the Nexus has implemented it - I haven't been really interested for ages. If it doesn't allow for that kind of fine-grained control, it's bound to be a mess.

I think when it comes to updates, it would need to be able to specify the version of the mod in the pack, and keep the older versions online. Without that, it would be constant breakage. But, again I can see modders getting frustrated that people are using earlier versions of their mods, minus any fixes and improvements they've made. I can see a lot of people getting shouted at in the comment sections. :p

I can see a lot of people getting shouted at in the comment sections. :p

And they were so rational and positive to begin with! :p

I don't remember who it was, but I remember one at least semi-prominent modder citing that as inevitable, and as a reason they wanted no part of collections. Modders already get blamed for everything that breaks. Half the time they find out halfway through attempting to help the person that the player used console commands all over the place and just could not understand why the stupid mod broke their game. :rolleyes:

Yeah, those folks that go berating the modders on the Nexus, and refusing to accept what is explained, are special, special people.

No once the mod is on a list it can't be removed or deleted by the modder. Hence why some of the mods taken down on the Nexus have migrated to a new site.

Yes it can. A modder can choose to archive the mod which makes it inaccessible. The actual file data is still on the site, but it can no longer be downloaded. In those cases, the only way to have access to that mod would be to use a list that already included it before it was archived.

One of Skyrim's most popular modders is pulling his work from Nexus Mods

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/one-of-skyrims-most-popular-modders-is-pulling-his-work-from-nexus-mods/
Popular mod-hosting site Nexus Mods announced recently that users who upload files will no longer be allowed to delete them. It's planning to add a collections feature that will let people assemble lists of compatible mods to download with a single click, and if a mod that others rely on was deleted that would break any collection featuring it. Instead, modders will be able to archive work they don't want on the site, removing a mod's front-facing pages while leaving the files accessible in collections they've been added to.

Some modders aren't pleased with the move, and have been taking advantage of Nexus Mods' policy allowing files to be deleted if they apply by August 5. The latest modder to request removal is Arthmoor, who is responsible for Skyrim mods like Alternate Start - Live Another Life, which lets players skip the intro and tutorial and has been downloaded over eight million times, as well as Cutting Room Floor, Run For Your Lives, the Paarthurnax Dilemma, Open Cities, Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement, and more. Arthmoor also has mods for Oblivion and Morrowind on the site, and is requesting they be deleted too.

However, Arthmoor's mods will remain available on AFK Mods, a site that allows deleting mods. And group projects Arthmoor was involved in to create unofficial patches for Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and Fallout 4 will remain on Nexus Mods.

"Here's to hoping that current efforts by several parties to launch sites that honor a mod author's legal right to delete their content take hold and provide some badly needed competition in this space", he writes.
Fallout 4 modders are deleting their mods to protest Nexus Mods change

Link - https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...eir-mods-to-protest-nexus-mods-change-2990283

On July 1, Nexus Mods announced that modders using the site to host their content would soon be unable to delete their own work. Instead, removed mods would be stored in an archive and would only be deleted if directly requested e.g. via the API.

Nexus Mods has stated that from now until August 5, modders who want their content gone can request their files be deleted by getting in touch.

Somebody at NME didn't read very carefully.

"Instead, removed mods would be stored in an archive and would only be deleted if directly requested e.g. via the API."

No, they can only be accessed via direct call (in other words, you can't find them by browsing the site).

I'm just posting links. JDR said he remembers reading something somewhere.:p

As for that new site AFK it's basically a forum like ours with downloads. It's not easy to find the mods you want to download. It's still new so it has time to improve.:)

Was just browsing the price watch thread where there's some talk about BattleTech Advanced, which after checking google lead me to Nexus...

Because of current actions by Nexus Mods concerning creator rights, BattleTech Advanced 3062 is no longer hosted here on Nexus Mods. This page will continue to exist to direct people to its new home, the BTA Wiki. The info here serves purely as archival information. Do not expect future updates here, there will not be any.

Was just browsing the price watch thread where there's some talk about BattleTech Advanced, which after checking google lead me to Nexus...
Aaah now I understand. I just clicked through I didn't know there was some kind of controversy on the Nexus.

And so it is...
One of the biggest (if not the biggerr) mod sites goes Boom!
As a mod user, and purely from my user viewpoint, this is not good because I was used to search mods for many games in just one place.

Back
Top Bottom