Skyrim - Skyblivion Teaser Trailer

And maaaan, games need more cities like Imperial City. I love that city and having it expanded is just amazing.

The Imperial City in vanilla Oblivion was, to me, a disappointment. Too small, cramped and empty.

Kudos to authors for all the work, but these TES renewal projects make little sense. You get far more with "vanilla" games and massive amount of mods that go with it, than same game on updated engine.
Imo, do their own thing ( like Enderal) or expand original game instead…by the time this is realized, how many will actually play it?

The Imperial City in vanilla Oblivion was, to me, a disappointment. Too small, cramped and empty.

How many cities in RPGs have been bigger with more districts, houses, NPCs and content than Imperial City, though? Not to mention the unique NPC schedules. You can have fun just stalking people. :p

Skyrim doesn't have a city that size from what I recall, but Vivec in Morrowind is much bigger overall. I would like to see more cities like IC going forward in TES games.

errrr... Novigrad?

errrr… Novigrad?

2016 vs. 2006. :p

Haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but does it have as many unique NPCs with full schedules? From what I saw there seems to be many "filler" NPCs like the Two Worlds series had. I could be wrong as I haven't seen much of it yet.

How many cities in RPGs have been bigger with more districts, houses, NPCs and content than Imperial City, though? Not to mention the unique NPC schedules. You can have fun just stalking people. :p

Bethesda "cities" give a more intimate feel and interaction than others, but are also lacking in every other aspect next to GTA'a, AC or Witcher.
Their architecture and placement( usually without water supply, one peasant, at best, with a "farm" ( few cabbages and a cow, usually) outside feeding the whole population) is often nonsensical and cultural/racial/economical seggregation is non existant. They also look, how to put it?, too "clean", like they've been built just a day ago...unnatural, symmetrical composition, no sense of a place that "weathered" through it's long history, young built over the old, dirty streets in poorer districts, corresponding accents, old bridges, etc, etc.
I disagree about many npc's being "filler"...it is very important for giving a sense of scope and of dynamic, living world going around you... hard to capture that in a place consisting of 10-20 people.
Plus interaction often feels unnatural, sometimes downright bizarre when people are sharing their personal history to a random stranger they've never even met before. Introductions anyone?, before you start talking about your marital problems? :p

This is one thing Bethesda could actually look up other games and improve for next TES...better to have one, believable city than a dozen of poor design.

Bethesda "cities" give a more intimate feel and interaction than others, but are also lacking in every other aspect next to GTA'a, AC or Witcher.
Their architecture and placement( usually without water supply, one peasant, at best, with a "farm" ( few cabbages and a cow, usually) outside feeding the whole population) is often nonsensical and cultural/racial/economical seggregation is non existant. They also look, how to put it?, too "clean", like they've been built just a day ago…unnatural, symmetrical composition, no sense of a place that "weathered" through it's long history, young built over the old, dirty streets in poorer districts, corresponding accents, old bridges, etc, etc.
I disagree about many npc's being "filler"…it is very important for giving a sense of scope and of dynamic, living world going around you… hard to capture that in a place consisting of 10-20 people.
Plus interaction often feels unnatural, sometimes downright bizarre when people are sharing their personal history to a random stranger they've never even met before. Introductions anyone?, before you start talking about your marital problems? :p

This is one thing Bethesda could actually look up other games and improve for next TES…better to have one, believable city than a dozen of poor design.

Apples and oranges.

I like that every NPC in Bethesda cities are unique for the most part, have some sort of little story to tell (sometimes a larger story as well), have full routines, etc. I do think the cities overall are way too small, though. That's why I'd like to see more cities in TES games like Imperial City. Several districts (even if they are separated by a loading screen), lots of NPCs, houses, shops, content, exploration, etc.

And I think it's pretty neat that you run into people in odd places here and there. Oh look, Samuel Bantien is spending his Sunday at the Temple, etc. :p

I think if they could make cities larger than IC, yet still keep all the NPCs unique and have all of them have some sort of interesting flavor (I like the rumors in Oblivion/Skyrim, etc., even if they are often short little stories that come out of nowhere. :p), then that would be perfect, IMO.

Time for Bethesda to up the ante and hire on an entire team of modders to help with the games going forward. :p

Their architecture and placement( usually without water supply, one peasant, at best, with a "farm" ( few cabbages and a cow, usually) outside feeding the whole population) is often nonsensical and cultural/racial/economical seggregation is non existant. They also look, how to put it?, too "clean", like they've been built just a day ago…unnatural, symmetrical composition, no sense of a place that "weathered" through it's long history, young built over the old, dirty streets in poorer districts, corresponding accents, old bridges, etc, etc.
I disagree about many npc's being "filler"…it is very important for giving a sense of scope and of dynamic, living world going around you… hard to capture that in a place consisting of 10-20 people.

This is one thing Bethesda could actually look up other games and improve for next TES…better to have one, believable city than a dozen of poor design.

Also, cultural/racial segregation exists in TES games. Argonians living in the poor section of Windhelm, for example, and some Khajiits not being allowed to enter the cities and forced to camp outside, etc. That has been in the games since Morrowind.

And while cities as I said could be larger with more content/houses/NPCs/scope/etc., I don't think the answer is adding a bunch of essentially generic NPCs like Two Worlds does it. Okay, it makes the city have more people in it, but if you know they aren't really useful or interesting in any way, then there's really no point, IMO.

And yes, Bethesda needs to make introductions better overall. I love how guards comment on certain things. They should expand that and make the introductions more like Morrowind, yet not trigger and repeat the same phrases over and over. Unless it's an arrow to the knee, that never gets old. :p

In Morrowind the introductions were often hilarious. "You flatter me with your attention, outlander.", if someone liked you. Or a begrudging, "What.", if someone didn't. :p That sort of thing goes a long, long way in RPGs, IMO.

I can't stand vanilla Oblivion, due to three reasons:
1) The scaling. It's beyond bad. It ruins the sense of progress; quite a few things are easier at level 5 than 50. Bandits in full Daedric armor? Really?
2) The complete lack of C&C. The only "C&C" in the game is the option to not do stuff. If you decide to do it, there's only one way of doing it, and that one way will never be interrupted/halted in any way. For example: Being friends and/or guild master of just about everything. In Morrowind, there were choices, both in terms of main quest (which house to join) and side quests (guilds) and certain things were mutually exclusive. This was completely missing in Oblivion, and I barely encountered a single quest with any actual choices.
3) The demonic invasion. My goodness, I don't think I've been as bored in a game as I was in Oblivion during the 8th-10th demon portal. Also, demonic portals are opening up all across the land, and nobody cares one bit. The incoherent conversations are still the same, usually related to the thieves guild or some such thing.

Beyond that it's a good game, with a nice world and some interesting quests (Dark Brotherhood is particularly good). I'd love to give Skyblivion if it's ever completed, as they might fix the issues I have with Oblivion, but I honestly don't think it'll ever be completed. Sadly.

In my opinion the imperial city felt too small, empty and clean - like it was a mere miniature version of the real thing. Oblivion had many awesome and belivable locations, but I always felt like the imperial city could have been so much more.

I remember reading books about it in Morrowind and thinking, how cool it would be to visit it someday. It just didn't hold true to those expectations which I had built in my mind. I really wanted to see and feel something utterly breathtaking. It was supposed to be the jewel of the empire. The hot spot where all cultures, traditions and races mix & clash together, the spot for imperial politics & backstabbery. Magic and wonder everywhere.

And there were just too few people living there. I just didn't experience the wow factor. The palace district was the biggest letdown ever. There was so much untapped potential there.

I'm not saying that it was horrible. I liked the arcane university and arena for instance and the whole city layout was kind of cool with the huge tower in the middle of it, but it needed something to take it to the next level. :)

I can forgive most everything except the number of voice actors, and voice acting in general. They spent a million on Picard, and pennies on the other four people :)

Back
Top Bottom