Star Citizen Info Thread

We will need this to play the game properly.

I would never have expected crowd-funding to achieve this kind of stage.

I would never have expected a crowdfunded game to get that much money.

And that money is the real reason why they aren't settling for "good enough" and calling it a day to meet a deal line and ship fast to make more money. Doesn't help that Chris is a perfectionist.

And every month I go with a bit of o_O over the game features. I would have find a Space Sim with basic feature like the old games pretty fine, now I'm getting some monster of immersion.

Latest Around the Verse.

Haven't seen it myself yet - but it sounds interesting. It's about Item 2.0 - which is about overall interaction fidelity. Check it out if you're interested :)

While I fully appreciate the reasons for being sceptical, especially if you're not following development closely - I'd say 3.0 should be a big help in alleviating the doubts of reasonable people.

What reasons for being sceptical? There's no reasons. Who told you there were reasons? The ignorance of some people is as endless as the cold vastness of the space not properly represented in Star Citizen but adequately so in the minds of its "already in too deep" pledgers. Vision is cheap. I'll tell give you a vision?

Picture Chris Roberts in a dream-like field of dazzling stars announcing in a gentle voice "Alright, thanks guys, the supports been great but we've got enough cash now to finish the project and finish it much earlier than anticipated, thanks to you! All pledges are now closed and please look forward to our official launch later in 2014"

Yeah, it would be great getting a game that's infinitely inferior a few years earlier :)

Well, if you're the sort of person without vision.

Is that all you got? :p

If they released honestly they could have done another kickstarter for Star Citizen 2. But this was impossible because it would mean people playing SC1 and not wanting to back a cryengine space-ship total conversion mod again.

I reckon you could give $1k to a few students and tell them to mod crysis to have spaceships and it would take 2 weeks.

Is that all you got? :p

If they released honestly they could have done another kickstarter for Star Citizen 2. But this was impossible because it would mean people playing SC1 and not wanting to back a cryengine space-ship total conversion mod again.

I reckon you could give $1k to a few students and tell them to mod crysis to have spaceships and it would take 2 weeks.

This is kinda what I'm talking about regarding vision and being informed :)

I mean, after what happened with SCL - I'm not sure listening to your take on how to handle development or how long things should take is terribly wise.

But to each his own, and all that :)

SCL wasn't crowd funded. Probably should have been. Stretch goal: faithful tabletop adaption $500,000k ... $150,000,000: we'll offer a subscription model to get 1 cockpit cosmetic a month for your $1000 ship.

What was SC funding at when they decided to stop adding stretch goals because they couldn't complete them? What "reasonable" person thinks backing it beyond this point is necessary? Why do you need to follow it closely? Just to hear their excuses!

With no bullshit communication from the devs the reasonable man sees a 2014 release date and a game broken into separate mini-games claiming to be at 3.0 before it's rightfully had a 1.0 at launch!

It's not that your misinformed fantasies aren't interesting - but if you really want to be informed, I'll be happy to explain how development works for a game with vision.

But you'd need to create a separate thread for that, as this is dedicated to news about the game itself - not the fantasy version of it.

Also, imagine if SCL had had simply sold well. They released an expansion for free right before the developer closed from being broke. Added Warlock class and a new tileset for the editor, etc.

150,000,000$ wasted on spaceships and my only hope for an RPG I actually like is Knights of the Chalice 2 with not enough funding to add better graphics than tokens for the (N)PCs.

It's horrible that the last dev to do a D&D game died. Those AD&D gold box games were as good as it ever got.

Will the game have haircut option like the guy at the start? :p

Yeah, it would be great getting a game that's infinitely inferior a few years earlier :)
Yeah but... wouldn't we be on our way to a superior Start Citizen 2: Star Mayor by now if they had gone that way? ;)

New ATV :)

Check out the UK development update - some pretty cool stuff there. The second part of the Item 2.0 report is pretty boring, though. I think we get it already.

I'm particularly looking forward to exploring some derelict shipwrecks in 3.0 (you can check these out at the 9:20 mark).

Latest Around the Verse - talking about how they're approaching network technology and optimisation.

Also, it's the first time the two brothers are hosting ATV together :)

Latest ATV. As always, the Frankfurt update is very impressive. I especially love the particle effects on vehicles and characters when in motion on planets. Brian Chambers remains the only nerdy dev who can read off the teleprompter without being unnatural about it ;)

Mmm, serialized variables. Sounds riveting. :D

I think we'll all be actual star citizens exploring the cosmos IRL before this game is finished. :p

Okay okay, that joke has probably already been used. How about...if the game falls through, at least they can maybe flip this into a webseries called Around the Verse? I got nothing. :)

Mmm, serialized variables. Sounds riveting. :D

I think we'll all be actual star citizens exploring the cosmos IRL before this game is finished. :p

Okay okay, that joke has probably already been used. How about…if the game falls through, at least they can maybe flip this into a webseries called Around the Verse? I got nothing. :)

As an aspiring game designer, you should really take an interest in how games work!

You should give it a listen - as it's actually one of the most competent presentations I've ever heard about how to deal with a very challenging game in terms of the networking approach.

Back
Top Bottom