Steam Is Dropping Support for Old Windows Operating Systems

Feels like Windows is becoming like cell phones lately.:rolleyes:

True but 10 is beng phased out for 11 now as well.

But windows 10 will be supported for years to come.

pibbuR 68
Not by Microsoft. Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14th 2025. After that Win 11 will be the only supported software. Steam will follow after that.

Win 11 is already becoming the majority used software on Steam.
From a report: According to Valve, Windows 11 crossed a 30% share on Steam in January 2023. Windows 11's growth on Steam is directly related to Windows 10's decline. The latter remains the most popular OS among the gaming audience, but its market share lost 1.96 points in January 2023

Hey, I only stopped using windows seven two months ago, while I do enjoy windows eleven I've nothing but praise for how long seven served me, and did so well.

Not by Microsoft. Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14th 2025. After that Win 11 will be the only supported software. Steam will follow after that.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

pibbuR who feels a bit silly at the moment.

Windows 7 support ended on 1/14/2020 though, so if Steam follows the same pattern with Win10, then Steam may support Win10 until some time in 2029.

If anything, Steam is likely to support Win10 past its EOL even longer than it did with Win7, because every computer that could run Win7 can also run Win10 (and should have upgraded before Win7 went EOL). But with Win10, it's not so simple, because Win11 added some pretty nutty CPU requirements. Many computers, actually probably the vast majority of computers that are currently being used worldwide, can never move to Win11.

I used to love Windows XP back in the day.
Win XP might have been the longest I used one OS.

Still, I had no problem moving on when I had to. I don't get when people complain about it. We already know when we purchase it that an OS will eventually stop being supported.

I was planning on buying a new computer but still am pretty annoyed by this news by steam.
It shouldn't be hard to just put in a permanent offline mode for people with vast gaming collections on steam and still be able to play them after steam drops support for win 7. Or I am sure community could come up with solutions if steam doesn't, hopefully.

I don't want to have to move all my games to my new computer. I want to use my old computer for games it can still play and steam should think about their customers and how they should serve them best way they can.

At one point I wondered whether it would make sense to install Windows 7 on an Win10 or win11 machine, just because of the win xp virzual machine that is inside of Win7 ...
It would need very much faster PCs to handle all of that, though.

I have to work with win10 at work every day, and the only thing I can say about it is that its OS UI is simply shit.

I tried to update to Win 11 and was told that my PC was not able to do so!! Guess I'm stuck with what I have. I liked Win XP back in the day too, but I still remember trying to get Win 2.0 to work!! LOL

I think even going back through the nineties, windows seven was the operating system that I stuck with the most and for the longest. Heck, it and the archaic machine are STILL working, they're my backup ya know, just in case! Though I have to say, seeing this new beast boot up in under thirty seconds is pretty damn daunting.

I tried to update to Win 11 and was told that my PC was not able to do so!! Guess I'm stuck with what I have. I liked Win XP back in the day too, but I still remember trying to get Win 2.0 to work!! LOL
If your CPU meets the requirements and you have TPM turned on in the BIOS, then it's probably because you're using MBR partitioning + legacy BIOS boot, instead of GPT partitioning + UEFI boot. If that's the case, there's a Microsoft tool to convert over (MBR2GPT). If you're already on GPT/UEFI and still being told you can't upgrade, then the problem is probably that you just need to turn on Secure Boot in the BIOS.

Funny how people seem to love those old shitty Windows versions. Ubuntu (among other Linux distros) was several steps ahead Windows during the late XP and 7 times. I used Windows at work back then and remember wondering why it takes several minutes for the OS to start while OS X and Ubuntu started in less than 30 seconds. Sure, the corporate restrictions have always been a pain in the ass and made Windows worse than it is on a private machines. Still, those old versions took by far too much resources compared to Unix based operating systems with a GUI and the Unix based OS's used to be better in almost every aspect except gaming.

Scales have shifted since then and with WSL in Windows 11, I might choose Windows machine over a Mac as my next work computer because my colleagues use Windows and it would be nice to be able to help them. Seems like post-Ballmer Windows is back in the game again.

Down the line...and more worrying: "Windows 12 will be a blend of cloud-powered and AI -driven experiences..." I don't like the sound of THAT...:mad:

Back
Top Bottom