Sword Coast Legends - News Update

It's a must buy for anyone wanting a new D&D crpg to play. I'm not saying it's an exceptional D&D game.

Is it just me or is the stupidity spreading around here lately?

Nice words. Fanboys gonna fanboy I guess..

EDIT: Your argument is still flawed and you are still trying to talk for more people than yourself. And you are still forgetting that D&D players already bashed and gave up on this game. You are alone here buddy, D&D players are not with you.

EDIT: Your argument is still flawed and you are still trying to talk for more people than yourself. And you are still forgetting that D&D players already bashed and gave up on this game. You are alone here buddy, D&D players are not with you.

Yep agree. Love D&D and no interest in this game. From everything you read its not D&D other than the name slapped on it.

Dude, just stfu.

I'm not trying to speak for other people. I'm simply saying that if someone wants something new to play, there's no other alternative right now.

It's not really that hard to understand.

Yep agree. Love D&D and no interest in this game. From everything you read its not D&D other than the name slapped on it.

In other words, you haven't actually played it. :)

It's not great by any means, but it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be, and I really think it depends on your level of expectations. I was anticipating it to be complete crap so my expectations were really low. That's probably why I don't think it's that bad.

The D&D lore and monsters are there though, so it is more than just having the D&D name slapped on it. The environments are well crafted, and the visuals are a lot better than I expected. I don't think it's worth full price, but imo it's worth getting on a decent sale.

In other words, you haven't actually played it. :)

It's not great by any means, but it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be, and I really think it depends on your level of expectations. I was anticipating it to be complete crap so my expectations were really low. That's probably why I don't think it's that bad.

The D&D lore and monsters are there though, so it is more than just having the D&D name slapped on it. The environments are well crafted, and the visuals are a lot better than I expected. I don't think it's worth full price, but imo it's worth getting on a decent sale.

I have to agree with JDR on this, I wasn't expecting much from this game because of the early reviews but it's been more fun than expected because of the things JDR13 just pointed out above.

Take it easy JDR, some people just don't have the capacity to understand simple texts. I'm with you. I'm a DnD fan and I've been playing PnP since ancestral times and still play and DM for a hardcore RP NWN PW server, and I like and enjoy Sword Coast Legends for what it is, just as I liked and enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons Online despite having little to do with PnP systems and abilities (and the fact that it was based on the dull setting of Eberron).

The DnD lore and setting in SCL are well represented, and the creatures you fight all go by the books and have their proper stats and appearances, which you can check in the ingame bestiary as you progress through the game. It's definitely a purchase I'm not regretting, which is not something I can say about other games that had infinitely more buzz and budget, like Fallout 4. At least SCL did not bore me with dullness and redundancy to the point where I couldn't even finish it.

The mainline NWN2 campaign was mediocre at best similar to SCL, but the rules and mechanics were superior to SCL. Mask of the Betrayer was an amazing expansion despite the shortcomings of the NWN2 engine from a player perspective. I can only hope we get something similar for SCL but I imagine it is pretty unlikely - the story would have to be even better than Mask of the Betrayer to make up for things like cooldowns.

Personally, I thought the original NWN2 campaign was pretty decent, although the expansions were obviously tons better.

NWN1 had the totally god-fucking-awful original campaign. (And its first expansion was bad too)

Eh, how well are companion characters done in this game? More Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate?

Eh, how well are companion characters done in this game? More Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate?

More Dragon Age Origins. They have full VO (or at least close to it), have their own quests and are involved in the plot quite a bit. Some have a few issues with each others and you can talk to them at the camp.

They don't have as much content as DAO though, this is a smaller game.

Dude, just stfu.

I'm not trying to speak for other people. I'm simply saying that if someone wants something new to play, there's no other alternative right now.

It's not really that hard to understand.

Take it easy JDR, some people just don't have the capacity to understand simple texts. I'm with you. I'm a DnD fan and I've been playing PnP since ancestral times and still play and DM for a hardcore RP NWN PW server, and I like and enjoy Sword Coast Legends for what it is, just as I liked and enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons Online despite having little to do with PnP systems and abilities (and the fact that it was based on the dull setting of Eberron).
Nice, now you are couple. One tells others to shut up and another they are stupid.
Fanboys ++ you are now.

While I am still waiting from someone to give me a real argument how this is a game DnD gamers must play. And "it is only DnD" is not a real argument.

Last edited:
A good example how *not* to do a DnD RPG

Honestly, nobody has to convince you why you must play a game. It's obvious you don't want to play it, so don't do it, it's not like anyone cares.

SCL has enough lore, loyally created iconic creatures and other bits that make it enough for me to consider it a "must have"in my collection, but maybe your economic or social situation is different from mine, or perhaps your tastes are different which, outraging as it sounds, that thing also happens in the world - two people having different tastes.

In my relaxed economical situation and 25 years of experience as PnP player and DM, I'll tell you that for me SCL is a worthy buy at this point, and with the 50% off deal it's a steal. But that's because I gave my opinion. Anyone else feel free to think otherwise. I honestly couldn't care less if you buy the game just to burn it. End of the day, I was the guy who got 60 hours of fun out of SCL, not the bitter one that just came here to whine. And since I've already had the pleasure to enjoy the game and that's a non-debatable hard fact, to me the rest matters little to nothing.

Last edited:
Pure robbery if I ever saw one

I bought it for 27 € and didn't regret it.
As previously mentioned it has its flaws but the SP part was fun enough (I rated it 6.5/10).

For me personally it had a better fun-to-price-ratio than Fallout 4, which I got for 47 € (rated it 7/10).

I bought it for 27 € and didn't regret it.
As previously mentioned it has its flaws but the SP part was fun enough (I rated it 6.5/10).

For me personally it had a better fun-to-price-ratio than Fallout 4, which I got for 47 € (rated it 7/10).
Lol 6.5... I don't bother with games that I would score so low.

For me SCL is Fun/10. I don't get the obsession of people with scoring everything in a 0-10 scale. Those scores make no sense and are completely subjective anyway. I don't even know what score I'd give to SCL, I know I had 60 hours of fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom