Tech news

Apparently networks are difficult for the giant:

"Having an office with barely working Wi-Fi sure is awkward for a company pushing a "return to office" plan that includes at least three days a week at Google's Wi-Fi desert. A Google spokesperson told Reuters the company has already made several improvements and hopes to have a fix in the coming weeks."

pibbuR whose network at the moment of writing is connected (only to the net)
I hope they get their issues sorted. I need Alphabet's stock to get back on track. :)

"Safe Browsing’s opt-in Enhanced protection mode deals with this by using Google’s Safe Browsing server-side database, which catches unsafe URLs much faster in real time. Yet users must provide Google with more security-related data for full protection, which is why it’s an opt-in mode."

One thing that surprised me: "most dangerous sites exist for less than 10 minutes nowadays"

Last edited:
That's weird, indeed.

I find it amusing that Google wants to protect our privacy, of all companies. Something doesn't compute, but I can't quite put my finger on what. ;)

It rather seems like a way to grab more data (and we'll see if it really remains opt-in).

Talking of protection and privacy, it would be nice if the cookies weren't available when the user is not logged in, too. Just basic good common sense.

I find it amusing that Google wants to protect our privacy, of all companies. Something doesn't compute, but I can't quite put my finger on what. ;)

It rather seems like a way to grab more data (and we'll see if it really remains opt-in).
Exactly - there is no company that works so hard to ignore and circumvent your stated privacy settings than Google. They have always been the absolute worst about stealing private info even when they aren't the browser or search engine of choice. They are routinely fined, but don't care - they need to get a few execs sent to prison every time this happens.

"Experts in the field consider 2048-bit keys safe until at least 2030."

pibbuR who now wants to upgrade his systems, maybe even twice, a looong time before 2030. Admittedly for other reasons, but added securitry should have a higher WAF than just-for-fun. He reaches level 70 this year.

pibbuR who now wants to upgrade his systems, maybe even twice, a looong time before 2030. Admittedly for other reasons, but added securitry should have a higher WAF than just-for-fun. He reaches level 70 this year.
Who cares, Q-day is upon us anyway. ;)

"The heart of the problem is one of GM's OnStar connected-car services, called Smart Driver. We've tested it out in the past—it monitors things like how fast you drive, how hard you accelerate and brake, how often you drive at night, and your fuel economy, then uses that data to generate a numerical score from 0 to 100, with a higher number indicating that you're a safer driver.

However, buried in OnStar's privacy notice is the revelation that GM can and will share user information with third parties, including "usage-based insurance providers.
"

The general problem:
But when it comes to having the normal human be able to determine whether or not they have agreed in any way to data collection or data sharing, as the New York Times article highlighted, about what Mozilla highlighted, fundamentally, it's very difficult to know if a disclosure is deep within 2,000 words of... heavy, dense text,

Law suits are coming. Possibly also legislation - I think we are better protected in Europe.

pibbuR who has decided not to connect his car to the net (except the road net of course - assuming "road net" means what he thinks it means)

Law suits are coming. Possibly also legislation - I think we are better protected in Europe.
I think so to. You guys have things like the EU Digital Services Act which at least attempts to keep stuff like that in check. We don't have anything like that over here.

It's not the first time those things happen here. TomTom, a car navigation vendor, was selling the location and speed of vehicles to the Dutch authorities so they could set up radars more efficiently. They were also selling them speed cameras, so it made sense.

This is silly late - 10 years ago my standard key size became 4096. It really doens't take that much longer and a bit of paranoia goes a long ways (we generate new ssh keys every 6 to 12 months).

New upcoming (in a month) Windows 11 features I really want
to turn off.

Fortunately I can, and the article shows how.

OTOH I may not have to. In fact I never see features like commercials/suggestions (which I understand is present by default) without doing anything. Except using 3rd party software (Displayfusion, Start11 from Stardock etc.) for much of the Windows interface.

pibbuR who is only sponsored by himself.

"In total, the EC announced five investigations: two against Apple, two against Google, and one against Meta."

“We suspect that the suggested solutions put forward by the three companies do not fully comply with the DMA,” antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager said, ordering companies to "retain certain documents" viewed as critical to assessing evidence in the probe.

"In addition to probes into Apple, Google, and Meta, the EC will scrutinize Apple's fee structure for app store alternatives and send retention orders to Amazon and Microsoft."

"ByteDance the only gatekeeper so far to escape investigatory steps"

pibbuR who observes that Google, Apple and Meta don't agree.

PS. Meta's Subscription model for no ads is under scrutiny. I have no problems with subscriptions to avoid being showed ads. But Meta's model is subscription to avoid sharing of data for tracking. Eu definitely doesn't like that, since "consent must be "freely" given under the DMA." DS

PPS pibbuR who is glad that he's not on Facebook. DS.

PPPS. ByteDance? DS.

Last edited:

But we still can't open a Linux desktop, like Gnome?

pibbuR who in this case (and of course many others (a countable infinity)) is an amateur.

PPPS. ByteDance? DS.
First time I see the name, too. Sounds barbaric.

But we still can't open a Linux desktop, like Gnome?
I've never played with that. I know it's possible to have GUI applications with WSL (here), and it's apparently possible to install a desktop environment (here).

I prefer using VirtualBox because it's less confusing, and I'm sure everything is well separated (rm -fr / is less frightening when it happens...). On the downside, you have to allocate CPUs and RAM.

pibbuR who wants one. But not for taking selfies (he never takes selfies).

Back
Top Bottom