Tech news

Patching the processes by changing their code while they're running. I don't see how that could possibly introduce any problem in a Windows system. :LOL:

Yeah, I'll stay away from W11 as long as I possibly can.

Aren't most games developed with C++ or other variant? Must be a headache relearning programming over again. Like the statement says this wont be easy.

Rust was mentioned as an alternative as well.

I'm not entirely convinced that this one will have any practical use
but

pibbuR will definitely get one if it becomes generally available.

Last edited:
Aren't most games developed with C++ or other variant? Must be a headache relearning programming over again. Like the statement says this wont be easy.

Rust was mentioned as an alternative as well.
Good game devs use C++ to avoid problems that are inherent to C# (used with Unity). One of the problems is due to the memory management technique named 'garbage collection'. In a nutshell, you don't have to manage memory manually, which is safer, but it comes at the cost of performance issues and other, more insidious potential problems. It's not entirely safe either. On the other hand, managing memory manually in C/C++ requires a lot more experience and is less safe.

Yeah, changing won't be easy. Not only it's much harder and slower to develop in Rust, but there are tons of legacy C/C++ libraries that would have to be rewritten, or it wouldn't make sense. It's the same for OSes like Windows and Linux, though Linux is tentatively embracing Rust in its kernel.

I'm not sure why the ONCD publishes that now because it's nothing new. Memory safety vulnerabilities have been fought against since Tony Hoare introduced the null pointer in 1965-ish. Buffer overflow exploits using another flaw of those languages have been reported since the Morris Worm in 1988. Contrary to what Grossman said, there aren't practical and mature solutions yet, but we've made good progress.

The question is: how many managers will be ready to pay more for safety when they can get the same functionality at a much lower cost? It's never been going that way.

Last edited:
Good news is it won't be dependent on what card brand you use.
Sweet! So, what version of Windows will I need to use to get that version of DirectX?

Sweet! So, what version of Windows will I need to use to get that version of DirectX?
Article mentions Win 11 and that wouldn't surprise me as Win10 is on life support. I remember reading that Win 12 is almost ready for release later this year as well.

Well, 10 wouldn't have any 'preview releases' as far as I know. It seems unlikely that Microsoft would bother but, given Windows 10 still has over half the PCs showing up on the Steam survey, they might put it in to get game makers to support it faster. We wouldn't end up with people that have cards supporting DLSS that can't use the tech because the game only supports it through DirectX.

But I'm guessing it stays with 11 - which will finally give a lot of gamers a reason to upgrade.

Windows 10 is still largely dominant, I think. They're not going to drop it anytime soon.
That's not the point though Win 11 and eventually 12 have tech and updates that Win 10 will never have. I believe DirectX 12.1 Ultimate is one such update. Nothing new.
Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025.
It's a tactic to withhold new tech to get people to buy/upgrade to a newer product.

That's not the point though Win 11 and eventually 12 have tech and updates that Win 10 will never have. I believe DirectX 12.1 Ultimate is one such update. Nothing new.

It's a tactic to withhold new tech to get people to buy/upgrade to a newer product.
Sure, but I wouldn't go as far as saying Windows 10 is on life support. It's till more than one year and a half away, and MS will surely continue to provide updates as they've done in the past for older versions.

Back
Top Bottom