Tempest Rising News

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
THQ Nordic announces a playable preview is available for Tempest Rising.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEV3S80M9RE

Never thought we'd see another Command and Conquer clone.(y)

Played the demo. It's not bad. The production values are quite high even though it's pretty much just your standard RTS game. I like that you can blow up parts of the environment and cause collateral damage to the enemy. I wish I was still as much into this genre as I use to be.

Tempest Rising shows a ton of promise and fans of the genre classics have something special to look forward to. It’s the best of all possible worlds, with classic mechanics and sharp, modern visuals. There aren’t enough great RTS games, so I’m happy to add this one to my “keeping watching” list.

Two more updates from last month.

C&C was one of the first computer games which I played through multiple times. I tried the Tempest Rising demo. It does give those strong C&C vibes. So much so, that it almost feels like a clone but in a good way. There's your GDI (GDF in this game) and NOD (Tempest). The unit AI is close to as horrible as it was in the original with quick weak units trying to commit suicide by going close to enemy units instead of shooting from as far as possible rendering car units pretty much useless in battle. I am not sure whether AI destroys fences and walls, but I would not get surprised if they did not as was the case in the original allowing all sorts of exploits. The music was great and fit the quick pace of the game perfectly. They even got the original C&C composer on board. The graphics looked great and the game behaved just as I remember C&C. All units had a special ability. The utility of these abilities did not open to me in the short demo campaign, but I am sure they will be better explained in the final game.

Definitely something to keep and eye on and try if you'll get C&C retro cravings one day. Funny that EA managed to spoil that IP (too) and it takes enthusiastic fans to raise the genre from grave. Everything points to that this game will deliver. I hope that there will be an option to save the game in 1.0 version. That was lacking from the demo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom