The "I Just Bought" thread

A Gigabyte M27Q-PRO gaming monitor.

24-012-050-01.jpg

Hopefully I actually get it this time. It's my second attempt at purchasing this monitor. The first one was lost in shipping, and I had to wait until it was back in stock again.

3ce7cb3c-fb58-42f0-beb6-0f17b2d7c050_1.2df765ec5df4cf5cf3031b24e2e1d8c5.jpeg

Bought this for $75 and it's a blast to the past with over 200 games on it.

I guess i am going to be flying a bit this year to train staff at branch locations.

So I bought a Steam Deck. 20 plus years of travel i am use to gaming laptops..Figured this might be a bit easier. I think I have a 16 hour day at airports in two weeks so that i will be the test for me.

I wonder if those things actually use the same hardware as the original console or if those games are emulated.

I loved my SNES back in the day, but I wouldn't pay to play those games now when they're so easy to emulate.

Probably emulated as you just plug it and play the games installed in the memory. Sure I can emulate games on the PC but they never feel the same as playing on a TV or console.

So probably a waste of money but hey it's my money. :cool:

Not really "just bought" because it arrived on December, 26th (one day after Christmas hahaha), but since I forgot to post here, here we go:
PS5.jpg

Have fun! What's the first game you tried, the one on the pic?
That I tried? Yes, it was GoW Ragnarok. But right at the beginning, Kratos and Atreus are chased by a certain character and, while escaping, they talk about her (yes, the stalker is a female) like they already know her. I still did a few fights in the beginning of the game, there's also a talking head that I think it's from the previous game (dubbed "God of War" only, the 2018 version), but having not yet played that, I decided to stop playing GoW Ragnarok.

But my son has been playing on the PS5 a way lot more than me (he's still on school holidays/vacations).He's been playing "Days Gone".

[EDIT: fixed some spelling/errors]

Last edited:
An ammonite fossil:
IMG_20230412_125332_800x600.png
Ammonites existed between 400 and 65 million years ago (they died with the dinosaurs). A bit strange to think about it swimming around in the ocean all those years ago.

I also have a couple of trilobites, those fossils are at least 200 million years old.

pibbuR who, despite his age, now feels comparatively young (and alive).

PS. The observant watcher will observe (!) that the background is my periodic table desk pad which I bought a couple of years ago. Very useful and up to date (The provisional name "Ununoctium" of element 118, is replaced by it's proper name, "Oganesson", after the extant Russian physicist Oganessian). DS

That must be humbling. I can't even grasp how long that represents (even if I translate in powers of two - I find that counting with two fingers is more comfortable and allows to use the other hand to eat or drink something at the same time).

PS: The Mendeleev's pad says a lot about who took the picture. ;)

An ammonite fossil:
View attachment 4551
Ammonites existed between 400 and 65 million years ago (they died with the dinosaurs). A bit strange to think about it swimming around in the ocean all those years ago.
Well, there is exactly 1 survivor of them :

The Nautilus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allonautilus and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus_(genus)

There is an animal which we often call "Perlboot" in German language. Some people mean the nortmal Nautilus with it, whereas others (like me) mean a slightly different looking animal with that.

Last edited:
Not quite. While they do belong to the same class, Cephalopoda, the Nautilus and the Allonautilus thingies are not considered to be descendants of the ammonites (Ammonoidea).

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonoidea):
"These molluscs, commonly referred to as ammonites, are more closely related to living coleoids (i.e., octopuses, squid and cuttlefish) than they are to shelled nautiloids such as the living Nautilus species."

And:
"...the last species vanishing during the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event."

I didn't know this before now.

pibbuR who admits that they look similar and for all he knows the classification may still be disputed.

PS. Checked a few references, in general the consensus is that they do belong to different cephalopod subclasses, and they started diverging more than 400 million years ago. DS.

Last edited:
A Gigabyte M27Q-PRO gaming monitor.

24-012-050-01.jpg

Hopefully I actually get it this time. It's my second attempt at purchasing this monitor. The first one was lost in shipping, and I had to wait until it was back in stock again.
Did you get the monitor ? Is it any good ?
I'm looking to upgrade mine end of year.

That looks like a decent monitor. When mine eventually dies I'd like to get a good one, perhaps with decent built-in speakers as well, if such a thing can be had for not too dear a cost.

Back
Top Bottom