The Science Thread

Apparingly, H5N1 is now attacking mammals.
I fear that something big might be rolling on to us ...

Apparingly, H5N1 is now attacking mammals.
I fear that something big might be rolling on to us ...
Is this something new you've heard? Just asking because it's well known for a long time that it can infect some mammals, for instance pigs are very susceptible. It can also infect humans but not nearly as easily.

What is worrisome is that if a host is at the same time infected by two strains of virus, genetic material can be mixed (reassorted) giving rise to viruses that combine properties of the two. Viral combination of swine and bird influenza genes lies behind several of the more aggressive pandemics, like the Hong Kong pandemic of '68. The virus behind the 2009 pandemic contained genetic material from bird, swine and human influenza viruses.

pibbuR who is no longer infected

Great Whites aren't the top ocean predators they thought they were.
They seem to be doing quite a mess, lately.

Apparently, orcas have no known predator... This isn't going to end well.

PS: You've got to appreciate the fine strategy. They're named Port and Starboard, which means they can swap positions and confuse the hell out of their prey. ;)

Yes. They can also (partly) go on shore to catch seals. Who knows when they'll go even further.

And what's even worse: we will know get a series of orcnado movies. Good for Tara Reid, I guess.

pibbur who observes orcas an orcssess have very similar names, "dolphin" rhymes with "goblin". AND DOLPHINS LIKE TO MAKE RINGS!!!

It makes me wonder in how far this will affect the whole ecosystem ...

The problem is Russians don't give a damn about safety. They might try to pull it off at the cost of who knows what. As for building it remotely... yeah, good luck with that. Maybe we'll soon have a new crater. ;)

I also wonder if they think about fusion or fission.

PS: And how the hell will they evacuate the heat?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

pibbuR who found the quote on CodeProject, but assumes someone else originally said it. Who?

LOL , I wonder what the general reaction to it might be.
Another recent theory is that the Dark Matter is inside of Black Holes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom