Two Worlds II - Content Clarified @ Joystiq, Eurogamer

Another coffee never hurts. ;)

Sure, I didn't believe Reality Pump could pull it all off but someone saying a gamer has "only got themselves to blame" rewrites the facts just to protect a shitty game.

I couldn't even enjoy it as a Diablo clone. I didn't find the interesting locations everyone talks about and the combat was hideous. It looked nice enough and the skill system seemed interesting until I actually tried to build an interesting character -stealth seemed to suck, archery sucked, only a couple of spells seemed worth it (which is probably good since the interface limits easy spell access as I recall).

I'm sure I just don't get it - which is fine - that happens...but I'm convinced some people pretend to like it just so they can say it's better than Oblivion. Which it isn't.

Yep, I agree and you hit the nail on the head....

Like Oblivion or Diablo has good combat? Yeah right. Spell and inventory access sucks in Oblivion btw.

TW isnt a Oblivion or Morrowind-killer (because they have mods that fixes many of their issues), but ofcourse they will market it like that, its to be expected.

The locations rocked compared to Oblivion, looting-system was inventive (Bethesda used their system for FO3 so i guess they were impressed by it).

It was hardly the best RPG ever and i wouldn't have believed that even if they said that in an interview ;)

Last edited:
Explain to me how the locations rocked. If you can, give me specific named examples of locations with interesting content that beats the stuff in Oblivion.

I'll get back to you about what they said.

I can't recall the names of the locations, it was over a year ago i played it. The locations and cultures were just way more varied (desert, djungle, swamp etc, neither exists in Oblivion) and to me they were much more interesting than in Oblivion. Why don't you explain why Oblivion's locations are better or more varied?

I liked that Morrowind at least had varied cultures and landscapes. It felt like visiting different countries, just like in TW. Oblivion didnt have that.

I can't recall the names of the locations, it was over a year ago i played it. The locations and cultures were just way more varied (desert, djungle, swamp etc, neither exists in Oblivion) and to me they were much more interesting than in Oblivion. Why don't you explain why Oblivion's locations are better or more varied?

I liked that Morrowind at least had varied cultures and landscapes. It felt like visiting different countries, just like in TW. Oblivion didnt have that.

Um thats just wrong...oblivion did have different areas, I remember thed snow towns quite well actually they were quite cool. Each city was different from the other as well...

Um thats just wrong...oblivion did have different areas, I remember thed snow towns quite well actually they were quite cool. Each city was different from the other as well...

Agreed - except that all the peopel were basically the same. The towns, however, differed quite a bit, and most made sense in how they were laid out. Actually, much of Two Worlds was like that as well.

The only town that were a tad different was the snow town, but its not like visiting a completely different culture like in Morrowind or TW. I really liked Oblivion, I spent hundreds of hours in it (the mod community is incredible) but even with the different landscape mods it did feel underwhelming and very small because it basicly felt like one huge forrest. I'm sure they'll fix it for the next TES though because many complained about this.

Oblivion had snow/mountain area, forrest, oblivion. There were no swamps, no desert, no djungle or "alien-fantasy" theme (e.g Huge mushrooms etc as in Morrowind), and the sea area (which were great in Morrowind with the many islands) was extremely underwhelming.

Explain to me how the locations rocked. If you can, give me specific named examples of locations with interesting content that beats the stuff in Oblivion.

I'll get back to you about what they said.

I'd like to reverse it - what was so great about Oblivion (vanilla, no DLC) for the PC gamer who likes hardcore RPG's with choices and consequences?

Personally I see Oblivion as a 8/10 game and Two Worlds as a 7/10 game ... but Oblivion as more of a failure.

As much as I love Gothic, but to call it a "pure" RPG is a little bit off. It's mainly an actiongame with RPG elements.
I don't understand this to be honest. It's got exploration, it's got freedom of action, it's got character development and genuine choices. What is not (C)RPG about it? It's far more of a CRPG than the post Baldur's Gate Bioware gamebook/dating sim things.

I don't understand this to be honest. It's got exploration, it's got freedom of action, it's got character development and genuine choices. What is not (C)RPG about it? It's far more of a CRPG than the post Baldur's Gate Bioware gamebook/dating sim things.

I think it's safe to say that the majority here will agree with that assessment.

...the combat was hideous. It looked nice enough and the skill system seemed interesting until I actually tried to build an interesting character -stealth seemed to suck, archery sucked, only a couple of spells seemed worth it (which is probably good since the interface limits easy spell access as I recall).

I'm sure I just don't get it - which is fine - that happens...but I'm convinced some people pretend to like it just so they can say it's better than Oblivion. Which it isn't.

Frankly you sound like a jilted lover. I've never seen you in such a state. Only a moron would have believed all the hype they were spewing. They were trying to boil the ocean. Only a ship of fools sails a boiled ocean. The game is fine on its actual action RPG merits not the devs silly promises. We all know it is no Oblivion killer, that doesnt make it a bad game.

Imho Two Worlds is a decent game by default. What I mean is that it has little in the way of competition in the sub-genre it falls into.

How many action-RPGs are out there that give you a large sandbox world like that to explore? There's really only the Gothic and Elder Scrolls series to contend against. Even though both of the aforementioned series are superior to TW (imo), many people who had already finished them craved something else to play that was similar.

Frankly you sound like a jilted lover. I've never seen you in such a state. Only a moron would have believed all the hype they were spewing.

Thanks for the moron bait. I don't see see how I'm in a state; I just don't agree the game was fine on it's own merits. Longer responses to the queue of comments when I have time.

Well, rather than continue speculation, I just reinstalled the game ... and the 1.2GB patch ... I'll try to play some over the coming weeks.

Thanks for the moron bait. I don't see see how I'm in a state; I just don't agree the game was fine on it's own merits. Longer responses to the queue of comments when I have time.

Heh twice in one thread now...Dhruin, you doin ok? I don't think I have ever seen you this....emotional on a subject.

In regardes to what is a good rpg and what isn't, there is only really one answer and its pretty simple. A good rpg is one that you find fun, none of us here are experts in the field of what a good rpg is to you. So, who gives a rats ass if one person likes game A or Game B more? In the end it is you that is playing it.

I don't think Dhruin was trying to imply that it couldn't be fun. He's just pointing out that it fell below the expectations that the devs encouraged people to have.

You know some things obviously didn't go right when the devs release a patch that is larger than some games are. :)

Yeah I got that JDR, I was just making a comment on the snarkines of drhuin the last few days, its a side we don't usually see.

The other part was a random thought probably didn't make much sense since Iw as up almost all last night working:)

I went through and re-read our reviews from 2 years ago ... interesting perspective. You guys should take a look.

Moron bait? No no no I would never do such a thing! But really going back to the dot days I've never seen you so.... codex..... lol just kidding. But Two Worlds seems to bring out your ire for some reason?

Back
Top Bottom