Wasteland 3 - How Co-Op Works [interview]

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Game Informer asked inXile about how co-op will work in Wasteland 3.

What about crossplay? Can you play Wasteland 3 with other players on different systems?

Unfortunately, no. Wasteland 3 doesn't support crossplay between platforms. However, players who buy the game through different stores on PC will be able to play together. For example, if you own the game through Steam and your friend buys a copy through GOG, you'll still be able to play together as long as you both own the game on PC.

How will players manage their inventory in multiplayer?

"We've tried different ways of managing inventory in multiplayer, scrapped them, and re-implemented it a couple of different ways," Campbell says. "We've gone from individual character-based inventories to player-based inventories. I think what we have now is really convenient for players. It's a shared inventory. As both players are looting and getting items, that stuff goes into the same inventory. It would be as if you're playing in single-player, but it's two people playing it with the same pool, which means you don't have the hassle of trading items. And, the first person who loots isn't stealing the loot for themselves and griefing the second player."

[...]
More information.

Well I have zero interest in Co-Op play with others and always felt it was a waste of resources. My opinion is they saw Original Sin sell well and wanted to emulate it.

Last edited:
Well I have zero interest in Co-Op play wit others and always felt it was a waste of resources. My opinion is they saw Original Sin sell well and wanted to emulate it.

At least Divinity Original Sin has the couch co-op option, which I theoretically could use to play Wasteland 3 with my son. Now, without this option, it's pretty much "No Way".

Co-op is a great way to miss details and skip through the dialogue in a game. In other words, nothing I'm ever going to be interested in in a narrative heavy game.

For me personally it was also a total waste of resources, but if it sells better in the end because of it I approve of the option. For my own game I totally agree with JFarrel71, why on earth would I want to miss parts of the game?

Too bad there is no local coop - that's disappointing. I loved playing Original Sin with my daughter coop - that was a blast and I was hoping we could do that again with Wasteland 3. Oh well, I'll still play it as a single player game but that's a missed opportunity from my perspective.

Back
Top Bottom