Watch in trouble?

Who's Couchpotato?

Basically, he has been the anchor of RPG Watch for a long time now.

He posts most of the news items for this site. And he is damn good at it! Very prolific, and he knows what the "pulse" of this site is, what people here find interesting in rpg news...

Well, I can't say I am surprised ... but it is sad, at least in part because he allowed it to go on for so long.

To do what he does, what many of us have done in the past, you need a significant passion and desire to actually DO this coupled with the knowledge that no matter WHAT you do, people will line up to shit all over you.

So long as you are internally supported (owners, admins and other mods) you can generally tolerate the eternal shit-storm. However, even in these cases sometimes it gets to be overwhelming ... and we have definitely seen some cases where 'enough was enough'.

I will just say when you have a seemingly endless stream of people who leave pretty much the same way regardless of what external (public) interfaces are at play ... perhaps it is possible that there are other forces (or lack thereof) leading to a sense of non-support. Just speculation, of course ... because how would I know.

To do what he does, what many of us have done in the past, you need a significant passion and desire to actually DO this coupled with the knowledge that no matter WHAT you do, people will line up to shit all over you.

Sorry, but Couch has not been "shit all over." Many of the regular posters here were quick to show their appreciation for Couch's efforts on a regular basis, especially when he uncovered a hidden gem or posted info about interesting mods for lesser-known games. When anyone criticized him, many were quick to defend him. So I'd say that Couch had pretty good support; to have the perception that you do on the matter seems like a classic case of "for every negative comment, there needs to be 10 positive ones to make you forget." It's human nature, and we all do it, but this is an example of allowing the negative to stick like Velcro rather than focusing on the positive support.

To Couch: Thank you for your time and effort, and good luck with your future endeavors. There is a certain moderator that definitely should be leaving - and it's certainly not you. I hope you pop in to post once in a while. Don't be a stranger!

Don't worry Nerevarine I will still make a few posts on the forum boards.

Now as for being shit on I wont point fingers, and blame anyone publicly that's just not professional. It's just time to move on as I had a different vision for the site.

Now I finished my last two interviews they should be published soon, and the three contests should still go on as I gave the Keys to Myrthos. So good luck everyone.
And with that I bid you all a farewell, and good night.
smiley-gen002.gif

CouchPotato,

Thank you for your great work here! I wish you good luck with your new forum!

Henrique

Sorry to see ya go Couch:( , I appreciate all the hard work you did here at the watch. Especially posting news on games that seemingly I was the only one following.:lol:

I will have to come over and check out your forum. Good luck and hopefully we will chat again on the flip side.:)

Thank you Couch for posting interesting news here at the Watch for a long time. :ahoy:
And I really hope that you'll change from status 'overworked potato' to 'happy potato' again. See you in the forums!

Now as for being shit on I wont point fingers, and blame anyone publicly that's just not professional. It's just time to move on as I had a different vision for the site.

Tell us about this "vision"?

Or have you said too much?

Sounds like you always had ulterior motives and now that you've realised you can't exploit this site to the extent you imagined you're throwing a tantrum and storming off without a care about how it effects everyone else here.

I think your "overworked potato" nonsense is in bad taste. No one forced you to volunteer, no one told you to get back to work after you did. Don't be a little bitch; we're all overworked; Welcome to life. No one wants to hear that passive aggressive grumpy bullshit. Plus you're obviously not planning on cutting back on the "work" you do, you're just moving it to your own forum which is proof of these ulterior motives.

When you make a news post that starts off with you saying stuff like "not that anyone cares" it's you that's out of line. Such unnecessary negativity for someone who just spoke of professionalism.

Your move, potato…

Best wishes to you Couch. You've certainly poured lots of hard work into RPGWatch to the benefit of all here. Be assured you will be missed. I hope you will reap fulfillment and success on every path you walk. Following your heart is something you just gotta do...

As to The Watch, I'm hoping it won't go Missing In Action anytime in the near future. I enjoy this place, the collective knowledge and experience residing here, and all of the posters.

Regards to all.

__

<snip>Tell us about this "vision"?

Or have you said too much?

Sounds like you always had ulterior motives and now that you've realised you can't exploit this site to the extent you imagined you're throwing a tantrum and storming off without a care about how it effects everyone else here.</snip>

I'm sorry, but that is just a terrible thing to post to someone who has devoted a large part of his time to keep this site (and this it's community) running. I don't know if you have clashed in the past or something, but: a post like that, with accusations and insinuations, really sends out a message that something is going wrong in this community .

Couch never seemed comfortable in the role, though. He was always bothered by criticism towards a lot of games and seemed to take it personally, on some level.

I thought he did a great job, though, and contributed a lot.

But I don't think it's wise to keep doing something you don't really enjoy. So, I'm actually happy for him that he finally gave it up.

Thank you for your hard work Couch! :)

Well, that sucks, the news has been truly great on the site since potato started posting! This has also lead to a lot of fun discussions!

Thank you Potato for that!

I'm kind of at a loss for words here. Mainly because I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Can someone provide some kind of potted history of the fate of Couchpotato? Like, with links and whatnot?

I had a look at Couch's site and it had about 6 members (the other day) and, as far as I could tell, four of those members were the same four members who make a hobby out of disagreeing with me and thumbing each other in their communal insults towards me.

Have I been part of the problem?

RPG Watch, I have great news, I can take over the news posting for the forums. I am:

- Dedicated
- Hard working
- Collaborative
- High-powered
- Focused

If you give me the job, I can deliver impact to this website with time-critical assignments and can combine patience, determination, and persistence to troubleshoot client issues. I possess strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times. Well-versed in all aspects of customer conversion and accounting and able to lead others in high-demand situations. Solid track record in relationship and business management, developing and maximizing new business and marketing strategies. Excellent communication, leadership, motivational skills and can interact effectively with clients, business prospects and staff.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks.

I'm sad that you're quitting as a news poster, Couch, but I think for you it's for the best. I think you invested too much, especially emotionally. For this investment you didn't get enough in return. I hope you'll get it elsewhere although I doubt that's possible in this internet...

For a while, it seems there's been a desperate need for more activity and news posters - and, from my point of view, there's been a lot of tension based on some kind of unspoken agenda that I don't remember from before.

It's funny, because I clearly remember Couchpotato being one of the grumpiest members on this site - and he suddenly turned around and became a promoter of positivity.

I don't know about you guys, but I always enjoyed the balance of the Watch. If I want negativity for the sake of it, I'll go to the Codex of NFOHump. If I want positivity for the sake of it - I'll go to some religious gaming site.

What I liked about the Watch was how we all seemed able to accept each other - to an extent. We never seemed to promote negativity OR positivity. We were never THIS emotional - and I'm not sure what happened.

But if there's no "established member" left that's willing to post news regularly, without taking the inevitably mixed responses personally, then maybe it's time to call it a day?

Back
Top Bottom