What games are you playing now?

I've gotten some more into Bloodborne. I think (and hope) I got over the initial hump of difficulty to allow me to have the motivation to fight the rest of the difficulty. But it truly is amazing, the feeling you get after you beat some of the enemies which initially just pummel you on every occasion. I just beat the first boss, the Cleric Beast, and kind of dread the next boss, Father Gascoigne. He's brutal in his relentlessness. I'll see if I can't be a little more leveled by then.

I'm busy enjoying Valkyria Chronicles finally. Very nice story presentation and overall pacing. Fun tactical combat. A bit overwhelmed with all those individual character traits and squad setup possibilities, but I'll get there.

I think I'm gonna hang my coat on Bloodborne for the nth time. I reached the Blood-starved beast, and fought him for the m-th time. And I think my blood-pressure can't take it anymore. I always reach the end portion of his fight, and then, some way or another, he always finishes me. I think my poison resistance isn't very high either, since it seems that once I get poisoned, I can't handle administering the antidote, and dodging his attacks.

I think I had enough. I'm seriously trying to think why I put myself through this. It's obviously a good game, but it's designed to be painful and masochistic. But somehow, it has my respect for being this ruthless. And I keep going back in, only to get beaten down again and again. And I'm not even doing it blind. Most of the boss fights I went through, I saw guides on what their weaknesses are. I can't even imagine how you would be playing these games blind.

And if you do reach a point where you just can't advance further, you'll reach a point where you won't have enough potions/bullets, and have to go farm to get more, to attempt the boss fight again. It's painful as hell, but with a point, I guess. To make most encounters shake-in-your-pants intense. Making you be afraid of grinding. Basically, that's the punishment in these games. The punishment is needing to grind for resources to re-attempt fights you keep getting killed at.

Hmm, and I'm starting to get a feeling of deja-vu, either with Bloodborne, or with other souls games. I keep quitting them, but something keeps pulling me back.

Anyways, anyone else in this frustrated state, as I am?

Still TES Online. Made it to level 22. Exploring Grahtwood now. Made a mistake of entering a public dungeon called Root Sunder mostly alone late last night because an associated quest was marked level 17. Should be easy right, at 5 levels over? Yeah maybe with a horde of players clearing it constantly.

Last time I did one of these public dungeons it was very easy, and almost all the bosses and a lot of the trash was cleared out by all the player gangs. As a result the rewards were very meager since the bosses drop the best loot, but most were cleared already. Not only that, if a overlevelled player initiates combat, or has killed it before, the boss doesn't drop anything.

This time, however I got it good. Died 3 times, but managed to finish it and kill about 6 bosses mostly solo and do the achievement and get their loot. But crowds of tough enemies around every corner, respawning quite quickly in super tight quarters, if I explore or read or unlock anything was really dangerous for my squishy. Yikes. Stayed up way too late for the challenge. :)

Last edited:
Playing AdVenture Capitalist. Couldn't say why. The comments on the Steam page, while intended to be humorous, are actually spot on. It's a free game with "pay-to-be-lazy" options for those so inclined (I refuse to be so inclined). There's absolutely nothing to the game. Nothing. And yet I keep firing it up.

After my Witcher-fest (played 3 then 1 straight after) I had an FPS itch that was scratched by Wolfenstein but am now back playing a proper game, Wasteland 2, and loving it.

I've got the GoG version but not sure how to check my time played on that, anyone know?

Once more, I'm a little scattered and unfocused in my gaming habits lately:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut (Just started!)
Doom 3: BFG Edition (Playing Resurrection of Evil now...)
Caverns of the Snow Witch (Tinman Games - as brutal as the game-book was!)
Starship Traveller (Another Fighting Fantasy game-book conversion...)
Back to the Dungeon (Dungeon Master mod for Legend of Grimrock - up to level 4)

Hopefully come the next batch of holidays, things will have settled down and I can get back to concentrating on single RPG's again. ;) (Here's looking at you Risen 3...)

- Woolfe - early access Steam game for PC, giving it a shot.

GRIN, the studio behind Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries, has closed down.
http://woolfegame.com/blog/?p=924

I instarefused to back this platformer on Kickstarter and thank god I did. My reason was this: "The initial launch platform for Woolfe is PC. When we've tested and fine-tuned this version we will target consoles (XBOX and Playstation)"

What about our Kickstarter backers?

The people that believed in us from the beginning? People we made promises too. People we have let down. Even worse… people we will not be able to give the full rewards they invested in.

The crazy thing is, that we have most of the rewards ready for postage. All the backer stickers and letters of enlistment just need a stamp. All the poster sets printed, signed and ready. The artbook is ready to be printed, the soundtrack is ready for distribution, the DVD case is ready for production. But we have literally no money whatsoever to pay for stamps, let alone print the artbooks and dvd-cases.

Still chipping away slowly and simultaneously at both Neverwinter Nights Diamond (PC) and KotOR II (Mac). Frankly I prefer NWN ...

GRIN, the studio behind Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries, has closed down.
http://woolfegame.com/blog/?p=924

I instarefused to back this platformer on Kickstarter and thank god I did. My reason was this: "The initial launch platform for Woolfe is PC. When we've tested and fine-tuned this version we will target consoles (XBOX and Playstation)"

Crap ... that is a shame. And it is also the reason I most times do a very low support thing unless I am over the moon about a game.

After my Witcher-fest (played 3 then 1 straight after) I had an FPS itch that was scratched by Wolfenstein but am now back playing a proper game, Wasteland 2, and loving it.

I hope you're not too far in yet because at this time it probably would have made a lot of sense to wait for the huge Director's Cut patch for WL2.
On the other hand many people have played vanilla and still seem to be alive so... :)

I hope you're not too far in yet because at this time it probably would have made a lot of sense to wait for the huge Director's Cut patch for WL2.
On the other hand many people have played vanilla and still seem to be alive so… :)

Thanks, I'm 10 to 15 hours in so may do the DC on a separate play through, some of the screens on that video look pretty different to what I am seeing.

I think I'm gonna hang my coat on Bloodborne for the nth time. I reached the Blood-starved beast, and fought him for the m-th time. And I think my blood-pressure can't take it anymore. I always reach the end portion of his fight, and then, some way or another, he always finishes me. I think my poison resistance isn't very high either, since it seems that once I get poisoned, I can't handle administering the antidote, and dodging his attacks.

I think I had enough. I'm seriously trying to think why I put myself through this. It's obviously a good game, but it's designed to be painful and masochistic. But somehow, it has my respect for being this ruthless. And I keep going back in, only to get beaten down again and again. And I'm not even doing it blind. Most of the boss fights I went through, I saw guides on what their weaknesses are. I can't even imagine how you would be playing these games blind.

And if you do reach a point where you just can't advance further, you'll reach a point where you won't have enough potions/bullets, and have to go farm to get more, to attempt the boss fight again. It's painful as hell, but with a point, I guess. To make most encounters shake-in-your-pants intense. Making you be afraid of grinding. Basically, that's the punishment in these games. The punishment is needing to grind for resources to re-attempt fights you keep getting killed at.

Hmm, and I'm starting to get a feeling of deja-vu, either with Bloodborne, or with other souls games. I keep quitting them, but something keeps pulling me back.

Anyways, anyone else in this frustrated state, as I am?

After getting used to the controller and learning the combat mechanics I'm not finding all that difficult. I've only beat the first 2 bosses though.

Getting the timing down to parry with the gun has been a huge help. Also I think the dodge is overpowered. I've gotten out of many tough spots by just spamming it. Assuming you have the stamina of course.

It's early for me though so we will see. I do feel your pain though, in DS1 I almost quite several time fighting ornstein and smough. I spent 8 hrs on a Sunday making the trek from the bonfire to them before finally beating them.

My brother said it must have felt great to finally beat them, but honestly it just felt like I wasted an entire Sunday beating one small part of a game. Super difficult isn't alway fun and rewarding. That said the rest of the game was a great experience.

I'm playing the Wave of Darkness early access edition. It is much more solid than Legends of Dawn already. It isn't really fun though. I hope they up the fun level or this company is absolutely doomed to insolvency.

Still TES Online. Made it to level 22. Exploring Grahtwood now. Made a mistake of entering a public dungeon called Root Sunder mostly alone late last night because an associated quest was marked level 17. Should be easy right, at 5 levels over? Yeah maybe with a horde of players clearing it constantly.

Last time I did one of these public dungeons it was very easy, and almost all the bosses and a lot of the trash was cleared out by all the player gangs. As a result the rewards were very meager since the bosses drop the best loot, but most were cleared already. Not only that, if a overlevelled player initiates combat, or has killed it before, the boss doesn't drop anything.

This time, however I got it good. Died 3 times, but managed to finish it and kill about 6 bosses mostly solo and do the achievement and get their loot. But crowds of tough enemies around every corner, respawning quite quickly in super tight quarters, if I explore or read or unlock anything was really dangerous for my squishy. Yikes. Stayed up way too late for the challenge. :)

Random aside ... when I uninstalled TES Online, it left behind ~50GB (!) of crap in a folder for me to have to manually deal with! WTF?

Not really playing anything at the moment. I'm finding it hard to enjoy gaming when it's so hot and humid, and no games are grabbing me much.

I hope I'll get around to finishing Witcher 3, though I don't feel the pull.

I've messed around with a few early access titles, including Satellite Reign, Chaos Reborn and Bloodlust - but I always end up waiting for release before investing much.

Too many games, too little time.

I don't think I'll be gaming much for the next month or so.

I'm still dipping into ESO when I want some fairly mindless action. My mid-20s nightblade is having far more fun in Morrowind and Black Marsh than the sorcerer I started in Daggerfall. That class and region both feel far more generic MMO, so I don't think I'll be firing that character up again soon.

Mainly I'm still playing Morrowind, rapidly approaching the end game as master of House Telvanni and general spell-slinging, Goldbrand-wielding bad-ass. I'm staying much more focused this time, keeping to a few quest lines and not wandering too far out of my way without good reason. It's such a well-constructed, subtle game; definitely a thinking-man's RPG.

Other than that I've been killing time with some classic arcade games in MAME. Nothing like a bit of X-Men to waste an hour!

Other than that I've been killing time with some classic arcade games in MAME. Nothing like a bit of X-Men to waste an hour!

I recently rediscovered MAME as well. I was mostly playing the original Strider and R-Type. It's amazing how many games that program can emulate.

Back
Top Bottom