What games are you playing now?

I recently rediscovered MAME as well. I was mostly playing the original Strider and R-Type. It's amazing how many games that program can emulate.

It's fantastic. Sadly, there are a few games it can't handle very well. If it's just messed up graphics you can usually still play, but it's still frustrating.

Random aside … when I uninstalled TES Online, it left behind ~50GB (!) of crap in a folder for me to have to manually deal with! WTF?
What I marked is a step into the right direction, txa. :D

After a week off from gaming, I'm playing Alien Isolation. I'm only a few hours in, but it's pretty damn good so far.

It is, finished it recently in fact...I'd recommend using a wrench or a stun baton on an Alien, especially from behind for a good sneak attack.

Loved Isolation for the first 5-6 hours of the game, but found that it dragged on for way too long. I felt they stretched a great but very limited gameplay arsenal over too great a distance. Towards the end, it was almost comically bad with all the fetch quests consisting of whatever broken power generator you had to turn on once again.

It didn't help that the writing you found when reading terminals and such was stale and bland. It did almost nothing in terms of taking the story to interesting places - and felt like pure fan-service recycled dreck.

Atmosphere is through the roof, though - and it's absolutely without contest when it comes to making me terrified in front of the screen. I simply couldn't play in long stretches. I had to take breaks constantly.

So, there's great potential with this engine.

No!, JDR13, always place faith in my good intentions. :p
Well, I've heard complaints about length and had no problem with it..."relaxing" mid section was a nice change of pace actually.
Working Joe's were a bit too slow and easy for my liking...but still the best "anxiety" I've had from a game in a while.

I just hope they had enough success to evolve the formula a bit. I admit, I didn't really enjoy being almost entirely powerless for such a long time.

Also, I really hope they do a better job with the writing in the future. I appreciate their almost disturbing adherence to the first movie, but there's only so much meat in that script.

Exploration would be greatly enhanced if they added interesting characters and unexpected stuff in the "journals" - like in System Shock and Bioshock.

After 10 weeks or so of wow, i got bored :lol:, so now im playing bld the presequel and watch dogs; hopefully will do a nwn complete play til shadowrun hongkong comes out :D

I just finished Pikmin 3 on my WiiU. Charming and quite fun. Finished it in just 10 hours though, which was a bit on the short side =)

Advanced a little more into Bloodborne, but still loosing my patience every now and then. But I'm putting that on hold for now, since I just got a notification that the Alpha Test for Torment: Tides of Numenera went live. Downloading the alpha off Steam right now. I'm really curious.

Advanced a little more into Bloodborne, but still loosing my patience every now and then. But I'm putting that on hold for now...
Hopefully, that hold will turn into permanent thing. ;)

Hopefully, that hold will turn into permanent thing. ;)

I doubt it, at least not for now. Played a bit of the Torment Alpha, looks great, and I love all the writing, and text adventure feel of it. It reallys feels a lot like Planescape Torment. But I got off it, as somehow I wasn't in the mood for a relaxed gaming session. So I jumped back in to Bloodborne, and advanced a little more. It's just an amazingly imaginative game. The world is just an amazing mix of gothic horror, with a strong Lovecraft-ian style. It's beautiful. In a madness-instilling way. There's a part of the game, where I am right now, where you can get kidnapped by some enemies and taken into one of the end-game areas (at least they look like end-game areas). And the music/atmosphere was absolutely bone-chilling. I found the first waypoint and teleported back into my normal progression, to get away from it. Somehow they managed to make the usually on-edge way I'm playing even more terrifying for me.

Anyways, loving it. Even more-so than any of the Souls games. The souls-games, while very strong mechanically and nicely designed, never had the same level of quality when it came to the world-building/lore. It was usually generic medieval-fantasy stuff. Bloodborne is truly something different. You really have to experience it.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of some of the areas.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bloodborne/images/f/f0/Image_bloodborne-20.jpg
http://abload.de/img/bloodborne_2015040220uxz9x.jpg
http://www.dealspwn.com/writer/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bloodborne-yharnam.jpg
http://rpgsite.s3.amazonaws.com/images/images/000/028/751/original/BB_Aug132014_06.jpg
http://cdn2-www.playstationlifestyl...dborne-screenshots/bloodborne-evil-forest.jpg
http://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BloodbornePS4Share-1.jpg

It's frikkin' gorgeous.

Last edited:
You do realize I'll never stop hoping?
An optimistic part of me always existed.

You might just get your wish. It's infuriating again. It's always an emotional rollercoaster with this game. One moment I'm having fun with it, and the next I want to ring its neck. And again, I ask myself, why am I putting myself through this emotional rollercoaster. Am I that stubborn that I keep going back to it?

It's weird, how this cycle works for me. I always rage-quit after some infuriating moments, I calm down, and then it starts getting into my mind again, with the mention that maybe this try it will be different. And sometimes it is, but most it isn't. And what I find even more daunting is thinking that I'm just 30% into it, and from what I hear on the forums, there's way more rage-inducing boss fights coming next.

So, I think I'm getting off this rollercoaster. Again. I'm even thinking of giving the game away, maybe this will make it harder for me to want to get back into it. Anyway, I'll update on how I'm doing. :D

I'm playing World of Warcraft again. Gotta catch up with what Blizzards been up to with that last expansion!

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I started playing Skyrim I was amazed at how full the world was. Around every corner there seemed to be another dungeon yet they're skillfully placed out of view of each other so you really have a maximum density of locations you can have before they blend in with eachother.

With Witcher3 its more like flat ground with a lot of trees but you ignore everything anyway because if it doesn't glow in Witcher-vision then its not really in the game.

I've finished Morrowind's main quest, which I think I've only done once before way back when, but I'm taking a break before heading off to Solstheim or Mournhold. Naturally there's several more games worth of stuff to do in the main game, but I'm going to focus on the expansions now.

Before doing that, I decided to go with a super-cheapo purchase from a few weeks ago and installed Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel. I didn't expect much, since it's focused on Handsome Jack, and he was far less awesome than they seem to think he was. Thankfully he's stayed in the background so far, but the rest of the game's been pretty underwhelming anyway.

You can tell that it's a side-game and made by different people; it's got that B-team sort of feel, like Arkham Origins. It's got a very pretty new setting, which is a nice change from the normal Pandora badlands, but it gives it a new focus on low-gravity platforming in a series that was never very tight in that area to begin with. Level and encounter design are both far weaker than the main games, and the enemy spawning is very bizarre and irritating. You can stand in one spot and have an entire map's worth of baddies spawn continuously all around you, including behind you in areas you thought were clear. Really irritating when you're clearing up that one last guy and suddenly have a new bunch pop up out of a spawn-door and take down your shields from behind.

Some of the new NPCs are fun, and the ridiculous Aussie accent one of the Claptraps has is worth a listen, but the main characters are a bit meh. Two are bosses I killed quite easily in Borderlands 2, one is Claptrap, which could be interesting, and one is an NPC who gave you missions in one of the original DLCs. From the intro it's harder to get a real feel for how each plays.

Anyway, it's alright while mindlessly shooting stuff and playing around with powers, but it's sloppy enough that I'll probably drop it as soon as I hit an area that's too dull or annoying.

I've finished Morrowind's main quest, which I think I've only done once before way back when, but I'm taking a break before heading off to Solstheim or Mournhold. Naturally there's several more games worth of stuff to do in the main game, but I'm going to focus on the expansions now.

I didn't even know it was possible to finish the main quest first and still be able to play Tribunal and Bloodmoon afterwards. What level is your character? I'm curious if the expansions will still offer any challenge at this point.

What mods are you playing with?

I didn't even know it was possible to finish the main quest first and still be able to play Tribunal and Bloodmoon afterwards. What level is your character? I'm curious if the expansions will still offer any challenge at this point.

What mods are you playing with?

I've got the MGSO, a mod to make you move faster, and a magicka regen mod to make gameplay a bit more snappy and take out the resting downtime.

The expansions are designed to be played after the main quest, Tribunal in particular, so challenge isn't really an issue. The lack of a quest-check on the assassinations that start Tribunal means you can start it any time, but plot-wise it's post-Neravarine. As I recall Bloodmoon works just as well from level 1 if you just want to poke around, but some of the main quest is for tougher characters.

I've started Skyrim again, with all the quest and location mods by Thirteen Oranges. He's a prolific modder but I've only dabbled in his stuff in the past.

The expansions are designed to be played after the main quest, Tribunal in particular, so challenge isn't really an issue. The lack of a quest-check on the assassinations that start Tribunal means you can start it any time, but plot-wise it's post-Neravarine. As I recall Bloodmoon works just as well from level 1 if you just want to poke around, but some of the main quest is for tougher characters.

Yeah, I don't get why they didn't put in some kind of delay for the Tribunal quest for those who have it installed from the beginning. The constant assassination attempts are really annoying, and it allows you to get Dark Brotherhood gear right away which, iirc, seemed a little overpowered at the start.

That's why I'll be including this mod the next time I play Morrowind.

Back
Top Bottom