What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The vibe and mood is different? I don't know how to refute that except to say, no it's not. The first Mad Max was different from the others, but Fury Road is very much in the vein of Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.
Yeah, to me they're significantly different, at least from what I remember. Hell, the whole or most of Fury Road was one huge car chase. Non stop action. It was thrilling and fun, a rollercoaster. Quite different than what I remember in Road Warrior and Thunnderdome.
Then the whole art style and look of it. And the constantly blaring music to go with it all. Maybe I need to rewatch the old ones, but I remember significantly different style of films. Yeah, ignoring the first one which is indeed an even slower beast.

EDIT: Also, how do these new ones figure in the grand scheme? Is the Max potrayed by Tom Hardy supposed to be the same Max as was portrayed by Gibson? If so how are they situated on a timeline?

Last edited:
Yeah, to me they're significantly different, at least from what I remember. Hell, the whole or most of Fury Road was one huge car chase. Non stop action. It was thrilling and fun, a rollercoaster. Quite different than what I remember in Road Warrior and Thunnderdome.
Then you don't remember Road Warrior! It's also got like a 30 minute car chase. Thunderdome has one too, though iirc it isn't as much of the run time.

Yes, the Mel Gibson and Tom Hardy character is the same. I haven't given any timeline a second thought. I really don't care (no judgment on you if you do)

Last edited:
Then you don't remember Road Warrior! It's also got like a 30 minute car chase. Thunderdome has one too, though iirc it isn't as much of the run time.
Good idea, I'll make a weekend of it and watch them all. It's been a while since I saw them.

Good idea, I'll make a weekend of it and watch them all. It's been a while since I saw them.
Thunderdome gets a lot of crap, but I thought it was very entertaining. It's the first Mad Max that I never liked as much... it's not really post-apocalypse, just a kinda dusty remote Australian community with him as a cop and facing a bog standard gang.

Thunderdome gets a lot of crap, but I thought it was very entertaining. It's the first Mad Max that I never liked as much... it's not really post-apocalypse, just a kinda dusty remote Australian community with him as a cop and facing a bog standard gang.
I think remember watching The Rover, and it reminded me of Mad Max. But I'm so bad with memory lately. I also hardly remember The Rover.
But I remember liking it. I'll watch anything with Guy Pearce in it.

I think remember watching The Rover, and it reminded me of Mad Max. But I'm so bad with memory lately. I also hardly remember The Rover.
But I remember liking it. I'll watch anything with Guy Pearce in it.
I liked The Rover. It's a bit bleak, but Pearce and Pattinson are great in it.
I guess due to Australia being mostly a wasteland, these sort of movies can be made there a little easier. :p

The original Crow movie isn't exactly a good movie, but it had a killer soundtrack and became infamous because of the tragic death of its lead.

Even with that relatively low bar of quality, though, I agree that this remake doesn't have the whiff of quality about it. It's also squarely in the "didn't need to be remade" category.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

Looks decent, but I have a feeling this will be the most mainstream Alien movie.
A bunch of young adults running on a ship feels kind of out of place. Feels like your YA troupe in horror films, but set in the Alien universe. I hope it's decent.

Looks decent, but I have a feeling this will be the most mainstream Alien movie.
A bunch of young adults running on a ship feels kind of out of place. Feels like your YA troupe in horror films, but set in the Alien universe. I hope it's decent.
Seems like more of the older series, milking the franchise. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
But I suppose it's still enjoyable either way.

“Alien: Romulus” is produced by Ridley Scott (“Napoleon”), who directed the original “Alien” and produced and directed the series’ entries “Prometheus” and “Alien: Covenant,” Michael Pruss (“Boston Strangler”), and Walter Hill (“Alien”), with Fede Alvarez, Elizabeth Cantillon (“Charlie’s Angels”), Brent O’Connor (“Bullet Train”), and Tom Moran (“Unstoppable”) serving as executive producers.
That's a lot of producers! And frankly, I wouldn't have mentioned Napoleon...

Being listed as a producer means almost nothing. I remember initially being excited about the last Terminator film because James Cameron was one of the producers. Yeah...

As for Alien Romulus, I don't have high hopes after seeing that teaser. A 16-year-old girl with a pulse rifle tells me all I need to know about who they're marketing this to.

Back
Top Bottom