What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Alien, I still recall seeing that in a theatre the last week of May, '79. Totally terrifying and we stayed and watched it again! The next movie was almost as good and then....yikes. I just stick with those two and pretend that's all there was.

I watched the first hour of the new Road House flick last night and the first thing that occurred to me was, shouldn't this maybe be in theatres? Or did that already happen and I simply missed it. I'm a Gyllenhaal fan for sure, loved him in Darko and Jarhead, yet this film ehhh....it simply doesn't compare with the Swayze version, it's not even close. Granted I've only seen the first hour yet I'm unsure how the last hour will be a vast improvement. Has anyone else seen this yet?

Just watched this as well. It's cheesy, but so was the original... unfortunately, it's also cartoonish :p Connor McGregor especially.

We just saw 'One Life' tonight. Definitely a tearjerker. We watched the real footage of Nicholas Winton on that show on youtube when we got home. Crazy stuff. I never heard about any of this before tonight. I picked that movie thinking the theater wouldn't be crowded (or at least not have a ton of teens talking) and that Hopkins wouldn't sign up for a bad movie. I was right on both counts.

Why hasnt anyone seen Dune part 2 yet? WTF is wrong with u guys?
Bro, I haven't even seen Dune part 1 yet. Maybe I can do a marathon session for both once they're both on streaming.

I wrapped up Road House last night and yeah, I was taught that if you've nothing good to say about something, keep quiet. So the setting in the Florida Keys was lovely, I've been there and would easily relocate. Also it was nice to see the lead bloke from Mayans finding another gig, yet his demise was something quite unusual, to say the least. The lead actor seemed for the most part to be acting like someone suffering from a serious head injury, perhaps that was intentional due to the backround he had as a character, I'm not sure. Stick with the original film with Pat Swayze, it's far better.

I wrapped up Road House last night and yeah, I was taught that if you've nothing good to say about something, keep quiet. So the setting in the Florida Keys was lovely, I've been there and would easily relocate. Also it was nice to see the lead bloke from Mayans finding another gig, yet his demise was something quite unusual, to say the least. The lead actor seemed for the most part to be acting like someone suffering from a serious head injury, perhaps that was intentional due to the backround he had as a character, I'm not sure. Stick with the original film with Pat Swayze, it's far better.
I've never heard of the original, but I did see about 20 min of this remake, and Gyllenhaal is so charming. I think it's gonna be a light ride that I'm gonna enjoy.

I've never heard of the original, but I did see about 20 min of this remake, and Gyllenhaal is so charming. I think it's gonna be a light ride that I'm gonna enjoy.
You should watch the original. It's great in its own weird way. It's one of those films that had people reciting lines from it for years.

Then I'll give the original Road House a shot. But unfortunately, Patrick Swayze is at a big disadvantage. I was never too fond of him as an actor, and always associated him with the cringy movies like Dirty Dancing and Ghost. But I'll give it a shot.

In the mean time, how many ghostbuster movies are there? Frozen Empire? What the hell ...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pgmrrrupu4

In the mean time, how many ghostbuster movies are there?
In a just world there is only one (or maybe we'll give #2 a pass).

In reality there are FIVE.
- One of the greatest movies of the 80s.
- The sequel to that, and ultimately second best of the franchise
- The 2016 terrible reboot that is better left unmentioned.
- 'Afterlife' which trots out the original cast at the end for a feel good moment that the film didn't deserve
- Frozen Empire

In a just world there is only one (or maybe we'll give #2 a pass).

In reality there are FIVE.
- One of the greatest movies of the 80s.
- The sequel to that, and ultimately second best of the franchise
- The 2016 terrible reboot that is better left unmentioned.
- 'Afterlife' which trots out the original cast at the end for a feel good moment that the film didn't deserve
- Frozen Empire
I haven't seen Frozen Empire yet but Afterlife was way better than I expected and the 2016 reboot was way better than everyone led me to believe it'd be. I though it was entertaining and decently funny.

Anyone remember the other cartoon Ghostbusters that required this Ghostbuster cartoon to be called 'The Real Ghostbusters?' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127569/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6

Then I'll give the original Road House a shot. But unfortunately, Patrick Swayze is at a big disadvantage. I was never too fond of him as an actor, and always associated him with the cringy movies like Dirty Dancing and Ghost. But I'll give it a shot.
Road House might seem cringy if you go in expecting it to be realistic, plus keep in mind it was released in 1989. Don't try to take it too seriously and you'll probably enjoy it.

I watched the 2024 version, at least up until the last 10-20 mins (since I was too tired to continue), and it was decent but one thing that dragged it down is Connor McGreggor's performance.
He really shouldn't be acting. He's over the top but not fun. And kind of put me off. Otherwise it was so-so. I'll probably wrap it up today.
I was also surprised at a few moments where the audio was wonky. It seemed like they used the wrong microphone for a few moments.
Another thing I noticed was the fighting choreography. It was decent for the most part, but a few of the punches really didn't look like they connected.

Finished 2024 version of Road House and saw maybe around half of the 1989 version.
It's pretty good. Swayze's character is quite different than Gyllenhaal's. More stoic and professional. While Gyllenhaal's is more lighthearted and naive. They both have their charms.
Gyllenhaal though is absolutely massive physically speaking, compared to Swayze. Of course, the body building culture is way different now than back then. Nowadays every rando on social media is huge.
In terms of side characters, so far I think I'm enjoying the 2024 ones more. But I'll have to wrap it up before making a final call. It's different but still enjoyable.
The music though, is much better in the 1989 version.

Finished the 1989 version. It was decent. It definitely took itself more seriously than the new version. And, I guess a product of its age, is the quite long-winded final act. The classic hunt of the protagonist as he wades through all the ranks until he gets to the boss. That part was way too long or didn’t age too well, by modern standards.

I think overall I have to give it to the new version. But mostly just because I like Gyllenhaal much more as an actor.

But they’re not exactly films I see myself ever watching again; not that they weren't enjoyable once. But they're more your typical one-time enjoyment.

Last edited:
Finished the 1989 version. It was decent. It definitely took itself more seriously than the new version. And, I guess a product of its age, is the quite long-winded final act. The classic hunt of the protagonist as he wades through all the ranks until he gets to the boss. That part was way too long or didn’t age too well, by modern standards.
I'm surprised to hear the newer film is even less serious than the original. It must be borderline parody.

I think the long-winded final acts are something that has only gotten worse over time. Not just the final act either. A lot of movies in general just seem too bloated nowadays.

I'm surprised to hear the newer film is even less serious than the original. It must be borderline parody.
I think I mean more that most of the time Gyllenhaal's character doesn't take almost anyone seriously, since he can easily best most of them. So he's always overly friendly with them.
One of the most fun moments was when, after beating a bunch of ruffians, he actually drives them to the hospital. A lot of moments like that are played with a straight face, but are hilarious.
And I realize this might sound goofy when written down, but it was such an earnest moment that I liked his character all the more.

There's only a few actual antagonists that he treats deadly serious. And those usually turn into insane fights.
And not surprising, the fights are almost all probably better done in the remake. Or at least they feel more brutal and fast. Can't really voice an opinion on how realistic they are. I'm not a fight connoisseur.

Another difference is how much more bombastic the original was. I'm not sure I saw any explosions in the remake. And in the original there's quite a few and some serious destruction. In the remake it's mostly stuff getting destroyed around the bar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom