• Mass Effect 3

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alright its time for my next poll , and I decided to go with something easy this time. So to get us all started What's your favorite Mass Effect Game?

Please try to keep all flaming under control, as I know how some of you get. Remember your allowed only one vote, and I await the results in two weeks time.

Last edited:
I'll get the poll started with the first vote for the original Mass Effect. I like all three of the games, but enjoyed playing the first game more than the last two.

The first is #1 for me. ME2 and ME3 are still good games, but with less role-playing elements.

Mass Effect 1.
Why?

1. Mako
2. Not turned into DLC-o-rama
3. No multiplayer crap
4. You start from zero, not from level 30
5. No annoying mining minigame, unlock minigames still existed
6. No plotholes!!!
7. Available on Steam!

I'm going to vote ME 2 because it's the one I replayed the most.

Yes, where's the option for None of them, or They are NOT RPG's!!

Refer to my first post of the thread about more options.
Your allowed only one vote, and I will not post an option for all/none of them.
Anyway I'll add a none option to save me from reading future replies asking for them.:)

ME1 was easily the best by far.

It had that feeling of something new and different, and it also had exploration to a degree.

ME 2&3 were basically just cover shooters with a few decent characters here and there.

Mass Effect

To me, Mass Effect was supposed to be the next KotOR - and I fully expected an evolution of that excellent formula. The only reason I had to be sceptical was Jade Empire - which I wrote down to being a console-oriented experiment by Bioware.

So, I still had complete faith in Bioware, based on my adoration for their past games, most prominently Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and KotOR.

What I got was a game that was hugely inferior to KotOR in game mechanics terms, but also a game that was very powerful when it came to presentation.

My favorite part of Mass Effect is the sense of mystery and the powerful lore behind that universe. Listening to the Codex entries always had me glued to the screen (and speakers) - and I was fully engaged in that way.

Even something as simple as the introduction took hold of me completely, because of the music and the initial words serving as a presentation.

As a science fiction action adventure, I find Mass Effect to be nearly unsurpassed.

But, as I said, the mechanics were very underwhelming - and I still think KotOR represents the peak of Bioware.

As weak as the mechanics were, Mass Effect 2 was a significant step down - as Bioware thought it was better to eliminate the badly implemented features than actually improve upon them.

Beyond that, the story turned from intriguing mystery to "dark and edgy" TV show writing - and by the time Mass Effect 3 came around, everything good about the franchise was lost to me.

Tried ME 1 and just couldn't stand the dialog and story telling (same reason why I abandoned Jade Empire), and the shooting mechanics and UI are just terrible. I stopped playing after 1 hour.

Terrible games.... a kick in the groin is more entertaining....

I went with 1 but that was a difficult call for me. Driving the Mako around in 1 wasn't so fun for me and those samey missions... blah. The ending for that game, though, was incredible. It's the only one I played through twice.

I just haven't played any of them yet. I'm mostly a fantasy player but I figure I'll play these eventually.

I should get around to playing these someday but as time passes and new games are released I feel them slipping further and further into never getting played territory.

I played ME 1 for a few hours but just couldn't get into it. Combat irritated me for sure.

I'm going to go with 2, the story in the first one was great and is probably the best of the three, but I never really liked the heroic type of story that set you up as a hero right from the get go. The second game's story felt a bit grittier. It had you asking yourself if you were doing the right thing, and actually helping people with your actions a lot more than the first one. It also helped that combat was a lot better.

The first was the best all around RPG imo. Too much action and crappier writing as the series went on. But, I didn't miss micromanaging the stupid Mako across planets as the series went on.

I love the premise of a science/fiction RPG heavy on exploration and so couldn't help but check out this series. I voted ME1 for realising this premise the strongest.

I enjoyed the social aspect of "building your team" in ME2 and much of what that entails, plus the interactive cut-scenes were a nice additional touch. ME3 was a disappointment and felt linear in the way it hobbled towards the finish line.

However both the sequels never really felt like they had the moral dilemma's or sheer scope for space exploration that the first game did. The paragon and renegade reactive mechanic was available from the outset, so there was no need to necessarily play the hero if that was your wish.

Back
Top Bottom