Witcher 3 - Revenues

Hmmm, after 3 attempts I'm still yet to finish TW1 :s

Much like me, only I'm still on my 2nd attempt. Then I stopped in order to run a 2nd XCOM 2 playthru :p. I really can't seem to like TW1 combat: you have to click on the right time for the combos work. People usually complain about Diablo 1 combat-clickfest, but TW1 isn't THAT better, Imho: you have to click in a narrow timeframe for the blow to properly connect.

Awesome news. With numbers like that how can they just stop the series?

All good things come to an end ;) I think it is better stop at high then dragging it to low.

Congrats to CD Project, well deserved. I also couldn't get into TW1 cause of combat but loving TW3 :)

I also skipped the first two games, hated the combat in the first one (played a demo), and the second one also didn't look very appealing to me.

TW 3 is definitely their high water mark, and hopefully they will continue the series. They would be a fool not to. If they don't like the main character any longer, and feel the story is played out and/or the character is getting tired, then that's fine. Just set the next game in the same universe with a new character, or let players make their own characters, or perhaps a combo of both options.

I'm not interested in their cyberpunk game at all...but very much looking forward to a new Witcher game one day.

Last edited:
My first reaction was to worry that they would all take their money and retire before Cyberpunk got done! Hopefully some greedy, upper-management types re-invested it all before the employees could get their hands on the cash. :devil:
Zloty's, Polish currency? As in, our Zloth? ( he must be popular there :p).
I'm afraid if I went to Poland I would be completely spent. :tinfoil:

P.S. If you try to get your tongue around me I *will* notify the moderators!! :shakefist:

I liked the first game not the second. To all of you having problems sticking with the first 2 games do yourselves a favor and watch a YouTube video summarizing the story of the first 2 and just go straight to the witcher 3 is really is heads and shoulders above the first 2 imo.

On the one hand, I'm very happy CDPR are rewarded for their great work.

On the other hand, I'm afraid the success and high praise of Witcher 3 is going to be translated by competing companies into "everything Witcher 3 did, it did right."

In fact, I think half of Witcher 3 was pretty weak - and it's only due to the intensity of its strengths that I think it's an overall strong game.

I can already see certain bad habits seemingly emulated in other big titles. Most recently, I think Andromeda feels supiciously close to Witcher 3 in how it handles open world exploration. Meaning, a lot of the open world exploration is crap.

Seriously?
So in ME4 we stumble upon settlements while exploring where we receive additional quests and have some chatty with… um… exiles and angaran natives? Except chatty, restock, craft, play cards… Yea we can craft on fasttravel ME4 points, but those aren't equipped with minigame AI.
Also, in TW3 while we're riding, we can… mine minerals while sitting on Roach's back? And we, of course, while riding, need to rightclick so Roach can climb hills.
Fasttravel from any point was possible in TW3? I don't remember that in my game.

Or you're thinking about those silly lootboxes with a sole purpose to dismantle/sell everything? Yea, that's copypasted definetly, underwater barrels from TW3. Ignore those - it's there only for grindloving audience.

Seriously?
So in ME4 we stumble upon settlements while exploring where we receive additional quests and have some chatty with… um… exiles and angaran natives?
Also, in TW3 while we're riding, we can… mine minerals sitting on Roach's back?

Or you're thinking about those silly lootboxes with a sole purpose to dismantle/sell everything? Yea, that's copypasted definetly, underwater barrels from TW3.

That too, yes.

Also, I'm thinking of Tasks vs PoIs. I'm thinking of mostly barren and boring landscapes in terms of non-quest related stuff to find.

I'm thinking of ultra trivial fetch/kill quests where you use your "Scanner" or "Witcher senses" to find and click something that gives you a clue. When I say clue, I mean yet another objective marker you can then "Scan" or "Sense". Dreck like that.

Yes, Witcher 3 is pretty and Andromeda has nice planetscapes. But if you go exploring "at will" - chances are you'll find absolutely nothing of interest, beyond the occasional ultra-samey "PoI" or "task".

Look at games like Gothic, Risen, Skyrim or Fallout 4 for how to do freeform open world exploration.

TW1 was my favourite and I found 2 a bit of a letdown (But still very good) due to all the quest/progression gating where quests get closed off for no good reason. The story/world building was great though.

I liked the first game not the second. To all of you having problems sticking with the first 2 games do yourselves a favor and watch a YouTube video summarizing the story of the first 2 and just go straight to the witcher 3 is really is heads and shoulders above the first 2 imo.

I loved that Witcher 2 was focused on CDPR strengths. Witcher 3 was too big and inconsistent in that way. As in, all quest-related content in W3 was strong - but almost all other content was rather weak and uninspired.

Also, the original release version of Witcher 2 had near-perfect balance in combat. They ruined it later by mainstreaming it.

That, unfortunately, spilled over into Witcher 3 - where combat was way too easy, even on Death March - except for the first few hours. Their way of making it challenging on the highest difficulty level was turning even the most trivial enemies into dump-trucks when it comes to damage. Even worse than Bethesda difficulty scaling, actually.

Also, I found the progression system slightly more interesting in Witcher 2 - though it wasn't great. Witcher 3 progression was as boring as its loot system.

I loved that Witcher 2 was focused on CDPR strengths. Witcher 3 was too big and inconsistent in that way. As in, all quest-related content in W3 was strong - but almost all other content was rather weak and uninspired.

Also, the original release version of Witcher 2 had near-perfect balance in combat. They ruined it later by mainstreaming it.

That, unfortunately, spilled over into Witcher 3 - where combat was way too easy, even on Death March - except for the first few hours. Their way of making it challenging on the highest difficulty level was turning even the most trivial enemies into dump-trucks when it comes to damage. Even worse than Bethesda difficulty scaling, actually.

Also, I found the progression system slightly more interesting in Witcher 2 - though it wasn't great. Witcher 3 progression was as boring as its loot system.

I pretty much agree with you here. I had great time with W3 but the overland world was too big for its own good. I think W3 would still have been a great game even if they just took away half of the world as it server no purpose.

I was also disappointed with W3 progression and loot system as well.

I really wish they followed Gothic/Risen open world design, progression and loot system and W3 would have be an awesome game.

I pretty much agree with you here. I had great time with W3 but the overland world was too big for its own good. I think W3 would still have been a great game even if they just took away half of the world as it server no purpose.

I was also disappointed with W3 progression and loot system as well.

I really wish they followed Gothic/Risen open world design, progression and loot system and W3 would have be an awesome game.

Yeah, if they learned how to do it properly - it would be an amazing experience. But, I kinda think they should stick to what they're good at - instead of trying to emulate developers who're clearly much more experienced and superior in that way.

The Witcher audience seems to be focused on the story/C&C anyway - and that's what I think CDPR excel at. Their artistry and technical prowess is also amazing.

Maybe they should develop more focused games - and maybe they don't necessarily need huge open worlds.

Not sure, as I'm not really the target audience.

Then again, everyone and their grandmother seems to think W3 is a 10/10 game - which, to me, translates into liking pretty much everything about it.

So, maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I just know what I like :)

Then again, everyone and their grandmother seems to think W3 is a 10/10 game - which, to me, translates into liking pretty much everything about it.

So, maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I just know what I like :)
The problem is your translation. Or should I say, expectation?
Nothing in this universe is perfect. You consider 10/10 as perfect and top for eternity.
The truth is all masterpieces have a flaw, a flow that reminds us nothing can exist without one. A true artist knows a flaw is necessary and adds one deliberately if something feels too perfect.

10/10 does not mean flawless godlike. It just means a masterpiece. TW3 is a masterpiece.
By searching for only one 10/10 game that'll top everything else, you're still not worse than Escapist that set DA2 score to 100% or IGN who places 93% to utterly broken products.
Masterpieces should never be compared with each other. You can't say Bach's fugue in D-minor is not 10/10 because Vivaldi's Summer Presto is 10/10. One masterpiece does not exclude another.

btw my grandmother, both of them, wouldn't think TW3 is 10/10 game. They're both dead, but when were alive, they didn't believe something like TW3 can even exist. Hell when they were young, they thought TV is a fairy tale, an impossible thing. TW3 is 10/10 to all of us who wanted to see it realized - for decades.

One additional thing though.
A goddess who can do anything. Trapped just because. And can escape by a blink.
Waits for a penis to come and "save her"?
That's not a masterpiece. That's bullshit. Details are on cracked.com.

The problem is your translation. Or should I say, expectation?
Nothing in this universe is perfect. You consider 10/10 as perfect and top for eternity.
The truth is all masterpieces have a flaw, a flow that reminds us nothing can exist without one. A true artist knows a flaw is necessary and adds one deliberately if something feels too perfect.

10/10 does not mean flawless godlike. It just means a masterpiece. TW3 is a masterpiece.
By searching for only one 10/10 game that'll top everything else, you're still not worse than Escapist that set DA2 score to 100% or IGN who places 93% to utterly broken products.
Masterpieces should never be compared with each other. You can't say Bach's fugue in D-minor is not 10/10 because Vivaldi's Summer Presto is 10/10. One masterpiece does not exclude another.

btw my grandmother, both of them, wouldn't think TW3 is 10/10 game. They're both dead, but when were alive, they didn't believe something like TW3 can even exist. Hell when they were young, they thought TV is a fairy tale, an impossible thing. TW3 is 10/10 to all of us who wanted to see it realized - for decades.

One additional thing though.
A goddess who can do anything. Trapped just because. And can escape by a blink.
Waits for a penis to come and "save her"?
That's not a masterpiece. That's bullshit. Details are on cracked.com.

No, I don't think 10/10 is perfection. But, as I said, I think it means all "key" features are well done - or you should definitely not rate it 10/10.

10/10 should mean there's no reasonable way to significantly improve the important parts of the game.

Let's say you didn't care for combat, progression and loot. Those things combined, in my opinion, represent a very important part of any RPG in the style we're talking about.

So, I'm going to have to assume that if people rate it 10/10 - then they at least LIKE all those aspects to a reasonable degree.

If they don't, then they've failed as a competent critic.

Well, that's my opinion, nothing more :)

Also, I do NOT consider Witcher 3 a masterpiece - far from it. I think it presents itself as this huge open world game - and it fails utterly in many key areas when it comes to appealing open world gameplay and exploration.

No, it's a very good - even great game - and that's down to excellent writing, C&C and fantastic production values.

Personally, I'd rate it around 8.5/10 - with my objective glasses on.

With my subjective glasses on, it's more like a 7/10 game.

To me, a masterpiece is exceedingly rare. One example, in my opinion, would be Last of Us.

To me, the important parts of that game are all at least good - and most are great.

But it's not a 10/10 game. That would require these important parts to be as good as you could possibly expect them to be, given modern standards.

I can't think of a game I would rate 10/10. Not off-hand, at least.

A masterpiece does not discriminate healthy people.
Only a blind person can't see Mona Lisa. Everyone else can.

The example you used, is a discriminating pos. Not a masterpiece.

A masterpiece does not discriminate healthy people.
Only a blind person can't see Mona Lisa. Everyone else can.

The example you used, is a discriminating pos. Not a masterpiece.

To each his own :)

No wall of text about not letting someone into a football team just because you're the one who owns a ball and regardless of their skills?
Lemme check the weather. :p

Skyrim made over a billion, but this is still the best crpg made in the last 5 years. Kudos to them. I want more CDPR products. I feel they are a more mature Obsidian/Troika. I also like that Bethesda has some competition, even though I feel they're much better at open worlds than CDPR. However CDPR just blew them away with some of the quest writing. I vastly preferred the ranged/magic combat of Skyrim, but Witcher was much, much better in melee.

I hated the "spidey" sense and the guy talking to himself all the time. Really weird.

My 2¢

Skyrim made over a billion, but this is still the best crpg made in the last 5 years. Kudos to them. I want more CDPR products. I feel they are a more mature Obsidian/Troika. I also like that Bethesda has some competition, even though I feel they're much better at open worlds than CDPR. However CDPR just blew them away with some of the quest writing. I vastly preferred the ranged/magic combat of Skyrim, but Witcher was much, much better in melee.

My 2¢

I'd agree with that, except for the best CRPG bit.

How did you feel about Skyrim progression/loot versus W3?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom