Witcher 3 - Revenues

Hehe, it's true. Fluent tends to be just as over-enthusiastic about his favorite games as most people seemed to be about Witcher 3 ;)

Well, to be fair, I do make sure to mention some things I didn't care for or thought could be different, etc., when reviewing. At least nowadays I do. But to be blunt, I don't want to be "that guy", or "that critic" who nitpicks a game to death and is seeking the meaning of life itself in a piece of art. :p Nothing against those types, but I'd rather focus on the positives, what the game/music/movie did right by me and why I think people would enjoy the game, maybe from a more "casual review" perspective.

Above all I just occasionally enjoy writing reviews and sharing things I like, so that's why I do it. :)

Now that I got to talk a bit about myself and hijack the thread appropriately, continue. :p

Nah, I have a hard time watching YouTubers play RPGs. They all move too fast and talk too fast. :)

How big was The Witcher 3 compared to the first two entries?

C8LRXZIUAAAkG-m.jpg

Before The Witcher 3 came out the series had sold less than 10 million copies between the first 2 games
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/847469925241200640

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/result-center/?presstype=year

First 10 million is pretty decent for the first 2. (btw I think witcher 1 was the best of the series but i hated it until late chapter 2; it took a while to get into it). Anyway it jsut shows that if you make a quality product without drm you can still make a dime.

The Witcher was a blow in my Face, I hated TW2 long introduction, fail play much and years after replayed and finished, good game but not that great for me.

I'll probably get murdered for that, but I preferred my two plays of DAI than my unfinished play of TW3. And I agree DAI is a lot more flawed.

Here why:
- Companions : DAI 1 - TW3 0
- Combats : DAI 2 - TW3 0
- Exploration : DAI 3 - TW3 0
- World simulation : DAI 3 - TW3 1
- Writing : DAI 3 - TW3 2
- Main Story : DAI 3 - TW3 3
- Quests : DAI 3 - TW3 4
- Party : DAI 4 - TW3 4
- Character/Party Building : DAI 5 - TW3 4
- Puzzling : DAI 5 - TW3 4
- Crafting : DAI 5 - TW3 4
- Equipment DAI 6 - TW3 4
Set and match.

It's pointless I explain why for each rubric, the secret is I knew find my path through the boredom of DAI. After I succeed that, TW3 just couldn't match from far.

I wonder how much a failure have been DAI, I waited about 2 years to buy it because of the negativity. The Witcher 3 could be a blast with not much flaws, and many great aspects, but its gameplay approach is very far to be my favorite in RpG. I don't want ton of clones of TW3 or Skyrim, seeing the selling success of both, I feel there's a decade of clones coming.

Party, partying, but you skipped comparing bears, swimming, diving, sailing, most importantly hair, etc?
Man… What about something that both have like music and UI? And of course, DLC?

Anyway, I can't agree on (all) your points.

Just wait until Star Citizen is out ;)

And we all win rollover in lottery, marry a princess and live happily ever after.

Here why:

- Companions : DAI 1 - TW3 0 - BS
- Combats : DAI 2 - TW3 0
- Exploration : DAI 3 - TW3 0 - Total BS
- World simulation : DAI 3 - TW3 1 - Pure BS
- Writing : DAI 3 - TW3 2 - Absolute BS
- Main Story : DAI 3 - TW3 3
- Quests : DAI 3 - TW3 4
- Party : DAI 4 - TW3 4
- Character/Party Building : DAI 5 - TW3 4
- Puzzling : DAI 5 - TW3 4
- Crafting : DAI 5 - TW3 4
- Equipment DAI 6 - TW3 4

Set and match.

well, there are those who rather have a Big Mac instead of a nice juicy steak.

What's that word again… ahh, wannabe hipster?

Some people need to create words when they don't like a majority having a different opinion. :)

In jest of course.

well, there are those who rather have a Big Mac instead of a nice juicy steak.
in fact the comparison isn't right, with DAI I was my cook and could make a much more tasteful meat.

A few examples:
- Collect stuff and achieve the MMO generated quests?
Boring, didn't try do any single one, only collect sometimes few stuff, and if i could achieve one I could register it, or not as anyway it would generate another.
A few time I made my own quest, noticing I never saw an ingredient, checking clues where it could be, and do some exploration, was fun until it bored me and I gave up, or found and it was cool.

- Exhaust quests of an area so you gain control of it?
Boredom, so after a boredom attempt with first area, I gave up and didn't bother exhaust anything. Instead I only did curiosity exploration, and a few time picked a quest and tried find how solve it, often it was related to find a path to a location, and with DAI much much higher map building quality, with much more sophisticated terrain building and obstacle use, TW3 just can't compete. On that aspect DAI is close to Gothic 2 quality in plenty area, TW3 and Skyrim are very far.

- Detect crystals locations and pick them all?
Boring, so I quickly give up try make this activity a goal, only a leisure when I was in the mood. And with the complex terrain building and obstacles use, it can be a lot of fun of exploration. The key is just do it when in the mood not try be completionist and die of boredom.

- Crafting?
Very pale, and then quite a boredom. Almost never did any, just a few rare sessions with some fairly good choices and a little pleasure of improving equipments of party. Do it constantly and systematically would have ensured my death.

- Explore an area and beat every single group of enenmies detected?
Boredom, so instead, find how sneak your way to ignore and go past, or even take a horse and try rush through, much more fun.

And I can continue long:
- do thrilling exploration DAI blew up TW3, perhaps just a few cases, but huge time.
- make tricky exploration searching, DAI blew up TW3, in fact TW3 in comparison looks like a tedious arena.
- Pick some tricky combats and just choose do it or just try, DAI offered me much better thrilling opportunities.
- And so on.

EDIT:
What's makes me wonder is the inability to see anything better done in DAI. At least the terrain building and obstacle management is just hugely better done in DAI than in TW3, it should be an evidence, no point of opinion here, more arena like is just bad. And have sometimes some raging to not find some path isn't a flaw it's a quality.

So basically you install DAI, you see it is a crappy game so you convince yourself to look for all the yellow flowers because they are pretty and difficult to find and you conclude in the end than this game has a better story and a much better writing than tW3?

Ok.

Back
Top Bottom