DA:O Wow I'm Out

Dragon Age: Origins
I don't think you should be able to instantly switch anywhere though, you should have to go back to camp. I didn't like that feature in KotOR and Jade Empire either.

And DA isn't anywhere near 95% combat zone. ;)

I disagree, on normal you can only switch in non combat zones to, in that zones you can also leave for the camp if you want. So if ther was not an instans switch option, one would waste long time in front of the load screen, just to switch players! I do like the load screen.. but not that much...

I disagree, on normal you can only switch in non combat zones to, in that zones you can also leave for the camp if you want. So if ther was not an instans switch option, one would waste long time in front of the load screen, just to switch players! I do like the load screen.. but not that much…

I understand what you're saying, but I prefer as much realism as possible in a crpg. The load screen is insignificant.

I understand what you're saying, but I prefer as much realism as possible in a crpg. The load screen is insignificant.

I find it less realistic that my whole group isn't going with me everywhere.

Yep, and as a side note, camp is supposed to let your companions be more "relaxed" and open, both for talking and gift giving, so that you should get an easier time trying to raise their approval of your leadership. At least according to some loading tip and the prima guide.

It would be nice if you could give gifts in Camp, but that doesn't appear to be possible.

It would be nice if you could give gifts in Camp, but that doesn't appear to be possible.

Sure it is…. in fact, that's where I do most of my gift giving. :)

Just bring up the inventory screen, then use the arrows above the character portrait to switch characters.

Bit of a roller coaster on my opinion of this game, but after playing RedCliffe and the Brecilian Forest today I think I'm going to call it quits on this game. I can't seem to get ahead of the difficulty curve no matter what I do. I disengaged from the Brecilian forest to go to RedCliffe…. and RedCliffe was a serious joke. No spoilers…I actually survived (one lousy warrior) and only by running all over the place and using every potion in my inventory.

I think the game is too easy on hard even. I played recliffe through yesterday and I didnt feel that much challenged. Started another char on nightmare just to see how hard that is.

Master lock picking skill and doors that "can not unlock" is a big immersion breaker (reminded me of Oblivion *spit*) , also invisible rogues that lose their invisibility because of a cut scene or a plot barrier made me hit "exit game" a lot of times .

You can give gifts anywhere; even in a combat area. Simply "give" the gift, the same way as you would apply a health poultice to the person. :)

I'm starting to be put off a bit by the difficulty actually. And I think its a great game otherwise which is a shame. But here's an example, I left my camp for the first time (after leaving Lothering) and I headed off to Redcliff and got jumped by a pack of wolves on the way. Wipe out. No chance at all. Just a random encounter and no chance at all.

That was on Normal.

I'm starting to be put off a bit by the difficulty actually. And I think its a great game otherwise which is a shame. But here's an example, I left my camp for the first time (after leaving Lothering) and I headed off to Redcliff and got jumped by a pack of wolves on the way. Wipe out. No chance at all. Just a random encounter and no chance at all.

That was on Normal.

Actually, the wolf encounter is one of the hardest "random" encounters - especially due to the traps. I think it's a pretty stupid random encounter because you have no say in anything until you're basically screwed.

Not that I had much difficulty with it, and IIRC I only died once because of the unfair setup.

Just have your party on "Hold Movement" and have your tank taunt the wolves and focus heal/force field him - while your DPS takes them out one by one.

The traps can be moved around with relative ease - once you know where they are.

Still, I think such fights are silly because they're "puzzle-like" and I DESPISE puzzle-like stuff in my strategy games.

I have to admit: That wolf encounter is rather annoying, especially since it might hit when you're out with an party you're not used to (i.e doing a quest that requires a specific partymember).

OK so now I have a new impression. The game is no longer remotely difficult. I still die occasionally due to lack of patience....but with such a ridiculously powerful magic system its more or less a cake walk. Most encounters boil down to AoE. Knockem down with EarthQuake and roast em with Firestorm (EarthQuake buys you time to cast). If the meat isnt cookin fast enough just toss in a couple fireballs to tease the embers. If something smokey stumbles out of the inferno simply cool it off with cone of cold and break out the utensils. If anything reeeaaally tough survives that gauntlet simply isolate them with force field until you finish mop up. Heck my Warden with his +10 sword just sits back enjoying a stogie lit off the firestorm.

One more level and I'm going to have Crushing Prison and you can wrap this baby up. Why do I need melee at all? Literally I find my Rogue and Warden standing around without commands most of the time. The rogue saves her arrows for the most part. Oh well they do hack away at ice encrusted statues, but talk about wasted talent!

The magic system, IMO is waaaaaaay too overpowered as this game progresses. It went from brutal to easy pretty quickly. I'm still having fun mind you. The firestorm effect never gets old and everyone just loves a barbecue. Bon Appetite!

I think I agree. It took a while to get into the game after a month of Risen but it has its charms. I discovered crushing prison in the fade when I noticed that the spirit form had it. I ended up going into spirit form regularly just to use it; it's amazing. I'm now playing two games in parallel with mage and rogue because I must have some melee but magic is the way in this game.

OK so now I have a new impression. The game is no longer remotely difficult. I still die occasionally due to lack of patience….but with such a ridiculously powerful magic system its more or less a cake walk. Most encounters boil down to AoE. Knockem down with EarthQuake and roast em with Firestorm (EarthQuake buys you time to cast). If the meat isnt cookin fast enough just toss in a couple fireballs to tease the embers. If something smokey stumbles out of the inferno simply cool it off with cone of cold and break out the utensils. If anything reeeaaally tough survives that gauntlet simply isolate them with force field until you finish mop up. Heck my Warden with his +10 sword just sits back enjoying a stogie lit off the firestorm.

One more level and I'm going to have Crushing Prison and you can wrap this baby up. Why do I need melee at all? Literally I find my Rogue and Warden standing around without commands most of the time. The rogue saves her arrows for the most part. Oh well they do hack away at ice encrusted statues, but talk about wasted talent!

The magic system, IMO is waaaaaaay too overpowered as this game progresses. It went from brutal to easy pretty quickly. I'm still having fun mind you. The firestorm effect never gets old and everyone just loves a barbecue. Bon Appetite!

Aren't you playing on easy?

OK so now I have a new impression. The game is no longer remotely difficult. I still die occasionally due to lack of patience….but with such a ridiculously powerful magic system its more or less a cake walk. Most encounters boil down to AoE. Knockem down with EarthQuake and roast em with Firestorm (EarthQuake buys you time to cast). If the meat isnt cookin fast enough just toss in a couple fireballs to tease the embers. If something smokey stumbles out of the inferno simply cool it off with cone of cold and break out the utensils. If anything reeeaaally tough survives that gauntlet simply isolate them with force field until you finish mop up. Heck my Warden with his +10 sword just sits back enjoying a stogie lit off the firestorm.

Absolutely agree. I've been playing on normal most of the time, and even struggled so much here and there on normal before getting those area-effect spells, that I considered playing on easy, but now I 'm considering going back on hard. As soon as I started using fireball I had to change my tactics completely by having my tank and my mean damage-dealing dualwielder with uber cool moves, stand out of harm's way. Well, I can make them go ranged - I have some cool crossbows with even more cool enchanted bolts, (and when using Shale he can toss rocks) but it's a shame to have my dual-wielder's talents go waste.

Also, I've recently aquired Shale, and I've just started discovering all his talents.

I'm not complaining though - it's actually nice to win a battle first time off, with nobody even dying. That means I can stock up a bit on the injury kits. :D

Back
Top Bottom