DA:O Wow I'm Out

Dragon Age: Origins
The magic system, IMO is waaaaaaay too overpowered as this game progresses. It went from brutal to easy pretty quickly. I'm still having fun mind you. The firestorm effect never gets old and everyone just loves a barbecue. Bon Appetite!

Magic is way overpowered in easy and normal. Not sure about the other difficulties setting.

Yep, the magic system seems pretty unbalanced. I played through the early game as a mage to compare it to the warrior, and boy does it make the battles easier (at least on Normal). The parts that had me struggling with a warrior character were almost too easy with a mage.
As an example, the battle vs the ghost in the Wilds (the only orange in that area, AFAIK) was really tough without a mage, but with one, it was easy. I was surprised how easy it was.
IMO, it's not only the higher level spells that are overpowered, the lower level ones are too. Even if I'm not quite there yet, I can see how the higher level spells can make the melee characters redundant.

So, it looks like the warriors in my party, my char and Alistair, the Spectres… er… Grey Wardens, who were trained to fight the Reapers… er… Darkspawn are going to be twiddling their thumbs soon, when Morrigan and Wynne get those massive AoE spells. Better stock up on some beer and pretzels for them. ;)

First people say the game is bloody hard,then they say that it's too easy and unbalanced.
Maybe you just got better and level scaling doesn't actually prevent you from enjoying your new level?

mages are powerful, yes, but remember many battles (and most boss battles) won't let you use your AoEs, so it balances out. And let's not forget those pesky magic resistant Revenants

Certainly spending a lot of time running around to knock out a well placed cone of cold, might be easier if I had more tanks and less mages.

First people say the game is bloody hard,then they say that it's too easy and unbalanced.
Maybe you just got better and level scaling doesn't actually prevent you from enjoying your new level?

That's just my experience. I've been on Normal the whole time and the melee / rogue path was brutal until I picked up some decent AoE. Since I traded in Allistar for Wynne (I've had Morrigan the whole time) the game is now a cake walk. 90% of the battles are Wynne casting Earthquake while Morrigan warms up the ovens with Firestorm. Earthquake keeps everyone pinned in the AoE area long enough to fry em good.

As was mentioned above, the melee characters just stay out of harms way.

Also I did say the game is still enjoyable, but it has VERY dramatically shifted difficulty from uber hard to uber easy. Its still fun, and I'm not going to stop using the uber spells just because its easy. I've earned the break in my opinion!

So again, its just an observation.

I'm avoiding exploiting the combat like that. I've been constantly rotating my party members to keep things interesting.

The only one I don't use is Zevran, there's something about him that I just don't like.

What I meant, was that the combat difficulty (and thus the game's difficulty) when comparing melee combat to magic combat varies a lot. So much so, that I'd consider it unbalanced. Mind you, melee and magic need not to be strictly balanced, but when one almost gives you an 'I win' button (I'm exaggerating, of course), while the other has you struggling to barely stay alive, something might be a bit off in the balance department. But what the hey, I just wanted to offer some critisism on the game, as I was pretty surprised how much easier the game is with a mage as your character, that's all. Just my two cents and all that.

Edit: And for the record - I'm enjoying the game just fine, wouldn't comment a game that I wouldn't play.

The only one I don't use is Zevran, there's something about him that I just don't like.

I don't use him since he sounds like Antonio Banderas but looks like someone from a boy band :) and not for the other reason :p

Yeah, I don't like him either. I don't like the way I met him and how he joined the party. I knew he was a party character, so I made the dialog choices to recruit him, but if I had to do it over, I would've lopped off his smirky little head.

Gah, i think i am giving up now but I do have to ask. Is there any way to not have to go into the
Sloth demons grasp?
. That level is adding nothing but beeing a pointless time sink. One thing why i feel like this is i have absolutly no idea what i am doing there except traversing through different pointless shapes of mazes fighting the same monsters as always.

Another question. Is there alot of more fighting left in this part?
Mages tower I want some scenic changes after been fighting my way through the hords for 30 hours. (Not 30 hours in the towers :) that would be booring, but the game has been an action game clickfest for the most part fighting Darkspawns

Gah, i think i am giving up now but I do have to ask. Is there any way to not have to go into the
Sloth demons grasp?
. That level is adding nothing but beeing a pointless time sink. One thing why i feel like this is i have absolutly no idea what i am doing there except traversing through different pointless shapes of mazes fighting the same monsters as always.

Another question. Is there alot of more fighting left in this part?
Mages tower I want some scenic changes after been fighting my way through the hords for 30 hours. (Not 30 hours in the towers :) that would be booring, but the game has been an action game clickfest for the most part fighting Darkspawns

That would be your last action scene in that scenario, if you manage to defeat him. Provided, of course, that you have your entire party with you.. I had made the mistake of being in a hurry and taking this boss on on my own. Please have a look through the threads, there is an entire thread (about 16 threads down from this one) dedicated to this boss here, which will give you more detail on how to fight him, and about that level of the game.

I thought this was a fun area, actually - the shapes you change into, each unlocks new areas in the maze for you, in your quest to rescue your party members from the grasp of a nightmare, a kind of a trance that the demon had cast on all of you.

I solved it. I have been here for the better part of the week. I solved it by letting a friend play it through. Wo-ho! :)

I had to give him a beer though. Its not only the DLC cost

I don't use him since he sounds like Antonio Banderas but looks like someone from a boy band :) and not for the other reason :p

Yeah, I don't like him either. I don't like the way I met him and how he joined the party. I knew he was a party character, so I made the dialog choices to recruit him, but if I had to do it over, I would've lopped off his smirky little head.

I think his character was just a bad idea all around, he doesn't fit into the atmosphere of DA at all.

I like the idea of have a melee type rogue, but seriously, what was Bioware doing when they thought…"Hey I know, lets make him a bisexual Elf Assassin"!

I'll stand up for him. At least he's interesting.. um.. different.

Heh, well put!

As to the Fade part of the Tower of Magi, I liked it. It was a nice change of pace, even if some parts were just small corridors filled with enemies and seemed like busy work at times. The changing forms were what made it interesting. At times it felt more like an adventure game with the shapechanging as an answer to certain puzzles. Plus it was loads of fun to rumble around as the golem and slug it out with other golems like two heavy-weight boxers or fling fireballs into groups of mages (and whatnot) and watch them expire in the blaze as the burning man.

a bisexual Elf Assassin

What´s wrong with that? He´s written a bit stereotypically, but it´s not like you run into bisexual elf assassins that often in rpgs.
I haven´t used him much besides Denerim, but with the duelist specialization he worked just fine. Plus there´s the foursome thing :).

As for the Fade, I enjoyed that part very much. Shapeshifting was interesting and not meaningless at all, atmosphere was great and the overall adventure game feel was a nice change of pace. The only problem is it´s a bit overlong, but otherwise it´s definitely one of the most creative and memorable areas in the game.

Back
Top Bottom