Your favorite adventure games

Eric the Unready sounds as good as it was advertised. Too bad I missed out on that one. May give it a try sometime.

There is a great adventure game for all you Cthulhu fans out there. It's called Shadow of the Comet. Here's a review from Just Adventure.

Never got to play Eric The Unready. Always wanted to.
Instead I have here the Curse Of Endoria. Unplayed, too (bought on a flea market, good condition).

His name has a real life predecessor, by the way : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æthelred_the_Unready

There is a great adventure game for all you Cthulhu fans out there. It's called Shadow of the Comet. Here's a review from Just Adventure.

I'm glad you made me aware of that. I'm not a big adventure fan, but SotC looks great, and I enjoy anything that has to do with Lovecraft. I wonder if I can run it under Windows XP.

I'm going to try to track down a copy, along with the follow-up game, Prisoner of Ice.

Nobody mentions Syberia I and II? These are my favourites.
I have been a big adventure game fan, so my list would be too long. Monkey Island, Full throttle, DotT, and so on.
From the fresher ones: Longest Journey, Still Life, NiBiRu ...

I liked Syberia I, but I found it a little bit too … "empty". I mean the locations.
I haven't played Syberia II yet.

Besides, the Director's Cut of Broken Sword I (here in Germany it's called "Baphomets Fluch" = "Baphomet's Curse") is being published by dtp within their new "Adventures Collection", which contains all first 3 Broken Sword games.

Shadow of the Comet was great. Any game with Vincent Price in it is already gold imo :)

There was one puzzle in there that was just horrid. It made you make your own pictures using four different chemicals, but no where in the game does it say what chemicals you will need to mix. They just assume everyone knows photography. After about an hour of guessing I finally got it right.

Other than that one puzzle it was one great game.

Prisoners of Ice isn't as good, but still a noteworthy addition to the Cthulhu Mythos.

There was one puzzle in there that was just horrid. It made you make your own pictures using four different chemicals, but no where in the game does it say what chemicals you will need to mix. They just assume everyone knows photography. After about an hour of guessing I finally got it right.

Thanks for the warning. I'll probably keep an online walkthrough handy, just in case. :)

1. Larry 1 (my first pc game)
2. Police quest 1
3. Indiana Jones and the last crusade (the bone piano riddle still brings me nightmares)
4.Monkey island 1
5.Gabriel knight 1

There was one puzzle in there that was just horrid. It made you make your own pictures using four different chemicals, but no where in the game does it say what chemicals you will need to mix.

Freddy Pharcas, Frontier Pharmacist by Al Lowe has a similar awful riddle. I could only solve it because of a hint book, kind of (I bought the game as part of Sierra's "Best Of Sierra" magazine series, which had a walkthrough alwys included).

Have you played any recent adventure games, (excluding MI: SE) that would be worth buying for? I see them coming out every now and then, but really haven't tried any of those for a while.

Many good adventures have been released in the last couple of years, especially made by German teams or funded by German publishers.

I'm not sure how people classify adventure games, but if we stick to the games that are similar to RPGs but lack most action, I guess... Then I only played one adventure game until the end.
I played Indigo Prophecy a while back... I really enjoyed the game... Some good scenes, the fighting was shit on the PC though.
When we just got out first computer my dad bought Phantasmagoria, but we kept getting stuck at the same place for some reason. Apparently we were clicking like two pixels too high or something to activate the next scene and so that was the end of that. It did have a good atmosphere.

My favorite Let's Play on an adventure game has got to be Spoony's Let's Play of Phantasmagoria 2

God that was funny and that game was horrible. I'm soooo glad I never bought that one :)

This! I played Phantasmagoria a long time ago and (if you can take the cheesy acting) it wasn't that horrible, not as horrible as its sequel, anyway. :) But the Let's Play is really funny and I'm glad to have seen how the sequel plays out.

I keep getting reminder of Rex Nubular, Microprose's attempt to cash in on Space Quest. It was okay, but Space Quest ruled my childhood, together with Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. I played most if not all of them.

The Longest Journey keeps itself in a few parts of my memory for the excellent world collision thing. That was *really* cool and atmospheric to play through. Dreamfall also tried with some real emotion and was partially successful. I liked Zoë.

Also not mentioned it Microprose's third game, Dragonsphere. I don't think I played it that far, but it was alright.

Sam & Max has to take first place, always. Best cartoon character duo ever made.

I'm not sure how people classify adventure games, but if we stick to the games that are similar to RPGs but lack most action, I guess…

Which is partly my own definition of "adventures", too. Although I prefer 2D ones.

I think my experience with Simon The Sorcerer 3D was so bad it has spoiled my wish for playing adventures in 3D for many decades ...

And the orst thing of it all is, that no-one wanted to publish Simon The Sorcerer 3 ... in 2D.
It got only published, because it was made into 3D (because of lack of alternatives, because no-one wanted to publish a 2D adventure game then), because "the industry" just wanted to jump onto the 3D bandwagon - and ignored graphically superior 2D graphics at that time.

This was a sad time, when 2D was doomed to be "old" and "uncool", and "nicht mehr zeitgemäß" by press, players and publishers alike.

I played Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and loved it, but never played Fate of Atlantis. Apparently I completely missed out!

wow, I want to play these two, anyone know if they are on GOG ?

Anyway anyone know of any good new adventure game? ( not that I think any such a game exist ) of course preferably in 2d....

There is only one good 3d adventure game that I tried... Discworld Noir!

Uh, Discworld Noir … Very difficult to get here … The distributor, GT Interactive, crashed hortly after the release, and no company who bought the rests afterwards has thought of distributing it.

It's one of the games I've missed, and want to play.
Together with Discworld I, which is even rarer to find nowadays.
I'm just lucky to have Discworld 2.

And I once lerned that the title song of Discworld 2 as sung by John Cleese (I think), was once even distributed comerciall on audo CD. Never saw a specimen.

And do yourself a favour and play Indy Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis ! :)

Back
Top Bottom