Mass Effect 3 - Mass Effect 3 Preview / Interview @ Destructoid

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Destructoid has a video interview with Casey Hudson from ComicCon and also a preview of Mass Effect 3. The line of better RPG elements and more customisation is a key message:
Mass Effect 3 is also bringing back the RPG elements that were stripped from the series' second installment. The demo allowed limited weapon respeccing at a workbench in the mission, but the game is early and this feature is already light years ahead of ME2's practically nonexistent mods. Augments such as silencers and scopes allow for improvements in weapon stability and rate of fire.
Class perks have also seen a kick in the customization department as they incorporate a sort of skill tree-like structure. Take, for example, the warp ability from the previous games. A powerful biotic spell that shreds armor defenses off enemies. As squad points are now dealt out the ability can be branched into six different categories to make the skill truly unique for every user. If you didn't miss the RPG elements form the original, players can auto-select a recommended best fit for each ability to move through the game faster, but where's the fun in that?
More information.

The despair or the arrogance of a certain segment of RPGers. Cant even get their version in unison one with another.

Customization is branded as RPG element. One proponent of that fallacy then has to draw the conclusion that weapon customization is not a RPG element because a soon to be released game has an elaborated weapon customization system and is definitively not a RPG. So weapon customization can not be a RPG element for this reviewer.

For this proponent of the customization is RPG element, an elaborate weapon customization reintroduction in a franchise is increasing the RPGness of a game.

What leads people to indulge into such cheap way of thinking is really beyond me. Something very hard to understand.

Why should shooter gamers dismiss weapon customization? Weapons are central in the shooter genre and customization of them would be forbidden? If done, a shooter includes automatically a RPG element? Sheer madness.

More and more games are going to become RPGs in a near future with this kind of way of thinking. The cause is simple: some genres are accumulated much how to do on certain key mechanics to better the experience expected from playing a game from these genres and are now free to explore secondary mechanics.

Localized hit is a huge step from no head shot to head shot, another huge set from body+head shot to head shot, arms hit, legs hit, torso hit.

Might be the end of the progression here as hitting a hand, a wrist, a forearm, an elbow, an upper arm or a shoulder might have less gameplay potential than what has been accomplished so far.

What to do next if not start to developp secondary points in a shooter? Expect more customization of weapons and character as they serve a better shooter experience.

Everything will be RPG in the next few years with the RPG elements proponents.

That sounds pretty good, actually. Maybe there's an incentive to care about builds afterall.

ChienAboyeur more of that it has stats and a character so it must be a rpg talk right.? No in reality its not look at what the game is listed under when you buy it.

Everything will be RPG in the next few years with the RPG elements proponents.

The lazy way of making rpg's. When this happens I'll hate playing games even more. I'll finally hang up my controller and K+M.

Back
Top Bottom