Fallout 76 - Review @ Gamespew

Yeah biased reviews yet it's Bethesda's worst rated game on launch to date. Anyway it should be mandatory for fans of Bethesda games to watch that video Joxer posted.

This should be their motto.
Bethesda we dont't make great games… our modders do.
Also this needs to be re-posted.:biggrin:

giwp408qt5y11.jpg

Bethsoft have had a lot of success, which has been a significant source of frustration for the NMA crowd. Seems they have finally managed to fall on their ass in public view, so a certain measure of glee is to be expected.

Ironic that it happens with a somewhat daring attempt to stray from the established formula, but there it is.

Personally, I feel the game is not what people are saying but these things happen.

I had a similar experience with Hellgate London back in the day. Everyone hated it and wanted it dead, while I was left wondering if we were playing the same game.

I predict that the FO76 recipe will be more the norm than the exception in a few years.

What’s the recipe, you ask? It’s simple.

It’s a content driven cooperative game as opposed to the current cooperative formula in most games, which would be driven by repetitive activities instead of content.

You are probably right on the trend but the recipe was directly copied from Conan Exiles they just put a Fallout skin, a worst engine and less gameplay.

You are probably right on the trend but the recipe was directly copied from Conan Exiles they just put a Fallout skin, a worst engine and less gameplay.

Certainly, if we pretend Conan Exiles has 4 x Fallout 4 worth of bespoke content :)

Also, really, think what you want of Bethsoft Fallout games - but FO76 is really only Fallout 4 + coop and a new setting with four times the content.

It's not exactly copying anything for that to happen.

I've been playing multiplayer games and MMOs for a very long time - and I think I've seen all there is to see.

In terms of sheer distinct content - FO76 is pretty unique.

Now, I'm not saying that content is necessarily good - but it's very much NOT like the average sandbox/survival/looter shooter game.

Even the prettiest and most accomplished coop games don't have a fraction of this level of content.

I had a similar experience with Hellgate London back in the day. Everyone hated it and wanted it dead, while I was left wondering if we were playing the same game.
Hellgate London has an avg critic score on Metacritic of 70 which isn't that bad, I mean it's leaning a bit towards mediocre but there are plenty of games that have a 70 that I enjoy. Fallout 76 has a ~50 rating (49 on Xbox, 50 on PS4, 55 on PC) which is a completely different world really, that normally means shovelware / complete shit / disaster.

Eh, kind of a tangent though, doesn't affect your main point.

Hellgate London has an avg critic score on Metacritic of 70 which isn't that bad, I mean it's leaning a bit towards mediocre but there are plenty of games that have a 70 that I enjoy. Fallout 76 has a ~50 rating (49 on Xbox, 50 on PS4, 55 on PC) which is a completely different world really, that normally means shovelware / complete shit / disaster.

Eh, kind of a tangent though, doesn't affect your main point.

I honestly don't remember the average critic scores for Hellgate - but I certainly remember the overall reception from the playerbase.

It was much maligned, especially because of bad marketing and PR - which is why it reminded me of Fallout 76.

The launch state is another reason I was reminded of HGL, because both games had terrible problems.

Beyond that, HGL pioneered what many would consider a 100% fair business model today - but at launch it was hated by everyone, more or less.

I honestly think the critics don't understand Fallout 76 - and that's partially because Bethsoft utterly failed to market it. I mean, even Todd himself couldn't explain what it was.

I don't know why they went in circles about it - instead of just saying "Fallout 4 with coop" - but it seems to have created a bunch of incorrect assumptions and strange comparisons to games that have little or nothing to do with a Bethsoft game.

Which is what FO76 is - a typical Bethsoft game, nothing more and nothing less. It just happens to have coop (and a slight bit of PvP). It's really that simple.

Seems to me they were so afraid to openly state they were doing a proper multiplayer game - that they tried to complicate matters for no good reason.

Obviously, the NMA crowd will hate it - as they've hated all their games since they dared to do their own thing with the thing that they bought.

But I didn't expect critics to hate it so much.

Arguably, the 50/100 review scores are "objectively" reasonable for the Beta/Launch state - because that WAS pretty bad, but - for my own complaints - they more or less fixed it up in a week or so.

It's definitely rougher than I would have expected overall, but it's absolutely nothing like what a lot of the sub-50 reviews are suggesting. At least, I don't see it.

Then again, I've only played it for ~15-20 hours combined. I don't know if it suddenly turns terrible - but that makes little sense, as I know the formula inside and out - and none of their other games did a 180 like that.

So, nah, this is a case of the hivemind at work, I would like to suggest.

really, think what you want of Bethsoft Fallout games
Almost bugfree singleplayer, c&c at least on par with FO2, no endless trashmob respawns, no radiant idiocy and SkyUI adapted to Fallout setting.

Hairworks not mandatory because you're in power armor anyway and giant ants/scorpions don't have fur.

I never use power armor - that's cheating and doesn't fit my preferred aesthetic.

I prefer Bruce Lee to Arnold ;)

Well I prefer naked butts onscreen but that ain't happening.

I don't care about MMOs. You asked what FO we expect from Bethesda and I answered.

I don't care about MMOs. You asked what FO we expect from Bethesda and I answered.

Actually, I didn't ask that :)

I'm just pointing out that you can have (almost) naked butts on screen - so you're wrong about that too.

I'm never wrong. Including times when I am.

Don't worry about being wrong or right. Just agree with me, and you'll know you're 100% correct and intellectually attractive :)

Man, this hits just seem to keep coming for this…..thing. And yeah, who the heck ever wanted an online Fallout game?? Not me!!!

It's all Joxer's fault, he always wanted it. Blame him!!! :p

So you never actually played the game after release?
I would be suprised if they gave refunds for any one after the official release.
If they do though good on them.

I didn't play after release but the game is/was still the same. Plus, I didn't want to risk waiting after Nov 14th on the offchance they wouldn't honor it.

If things get fixed then I'd consider a repurchase but never at $60.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is. It has many shortcomings, but it's nowhere near as bad. To me these are just biased reviews to garner attention, nothing more.

I've seen no truly positive reviews yet. And who's trying to "garner attention"? And what bias are they exhibiting?

Also, really, think what you want of Bethsoft Fallout games - but FO76 is really only Fallout 4 + coop and a new setting with four times the content.

Sure, and with Fallout 4's even mediocre and simplistic attempts at decent quest writing stripped away in favor of ROBOTS GONE WILD! and fetch quests galore.

[X] Collect 10 beers.

Back
Top Bottom