Mass Effect 3 - More Romance Options

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There seems to be a fascination with whether games like Mass Effect 3 will have gay romance options for reasons that completely escape me. Since every site on the planet is running this as a major story, we might as well join in. A tweet from Casey Hudson:
Happy to confirm #ME3 supports wider options for love interests incl. same-sex for m&f chars, reactive to how you interact w/them in-game.
More information.

Just another step in listening to there rabid forum fanbase asking for same sex relationships. Seriously go to there forums and just read all the crap the fans want. Its funny because bioware stated the male shepherd was not gay and didn't fit the profile in an earlier interview. Probably one of the ways just to get more sales and it better not be thrown in my face like DA2.

Last edited:
There's also lots of flame wars against it as well as those lobbying for it. To me if it's easy enough to do, doesn't require a huge amount of effort or development resources and is optional I don't see why not.

I do agree that DA2s in your face leering over you companions was distasteful, but I personally find that distasteful regardless of what gender and orientation it comes from and would rather be able to be in control of initiating or not initiating any game romances.

I cant even explaine how silly this is for Bioware , game after game its the same thing. Why dont they put more effort in choices or loot even graphics. WHO CARES that you can be gay/straight . It some how lowers the level of maturity when they put to much emphasis on romance. Just my opinion.

There's also lots of flame wars against it as well as those lobbying for it. To me if it's easy enough to do, doesn't require a huge amount of effort or development resources and is optional I don't see why not.

I do agree that DA2s in your face leering over you companions was distasteful, but I personally find that distasteful regardless of what gender and orientation it comes from and would rather be able to be in control of initiating or not initiating any game romances.

I agree I dont mind it there but I dont want them done Like DA2. Most people would be happier if you could turn them on or off. Would settle down both sides of the argument.

While this post from David Gaider was in response to a debate in DA2, it is related and seems appropriate. Its very easy for those in the majority to say "why add this", because for them its already so common they don't even think about it. They take so much for granted they can't even begin to understand why it might be an issue. Course adding it this late in the game seems rather odd ... it should have been in from the beginning if at all. Still I am for more diversity when possible.

To the issue: I've said it before and I'll say it again-- perhaps a bit more eloquently, since it's apparently of dire concern to some.

The romances in the game are not for "the straight male gamer". They're for everyone. We have a lot of fans, many of whom are neither straight nor male, and they deserve no less attention. We have good numbers, after all, on the number of people who actually used similar sorts of content in DAO and thus don't need to resort to anecdotal evidence to support our idea that their numbers are not insignificant... and that's ignoring the idea that they don't have just as much right to play the kind of game they wish as anyone else. The "rights" of anyone with regards to a game are murky at best, but anyone who takes that stance must apply it equally to both the minority as well as the majority. The majority has no inherent "right" to get more options than anyone else.

More than that, I would question anyone deciding they speak for "the straight male gamer" just as much as someone claiming they speak for "all RPG fans", "all female fans" or even "all gay fans". You don't. If you wish to express your personal desires, then do so. I have no doubt that any opinion expressed on these forums is shared by many others, but since none of them have elected a spokesperson you're better off not trying to be one. If your attempt is to convince BioWare developers, I can tell you that you do in fact make your opinion less convincing by doing so.

And if there is any doubt why such an opinion might be met with hostility, it has to do with privilege. You can write it off as "political correctness" if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They're so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don't see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what's everyone's fuss all about? That's the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want.

The truth is that making a romance available for both genders is far less costly than creating an entirely new one. Does it create some issues of implementation? Sure-- but anything you try on this front is going to have its issues, and inevitably you'll always leave someone out in the cold. In this case, are all straight males left out in the cold? Not at all. There are romances available for them just the same as anyone else. Not all straight males require that their content be exclusive, after all, and you can see that even on this thread.

Would I do it again? I don't know. I doubt I would have Anders make the first move again-- at the time, I thought that requiring all romances to have Hawke initiate everything was the unrealistic part. Even if someone decides that this makes everyone "unrealistically" bisexual, however, or they can't handle the idea that the character might be bisexual if they were another PC... I don't see that as a big concern, to be honest. Romances are never one-size-fits-all, and even for those who don't mind the sexuality issue there's no guarantee they'll find a character they even want to romance. That's why romances are optional content. It's such a personal issue that we'll never be able to please everyone. The very best we can do is give everyone a little bit of choice, and that's what we tried here.

And the person who says that the only way to please them is to restrict options for others is, if you ask me, the one who deserves it least. And that's my opinion, expressed as politely as possible.

In a wall of text. Sorry about that.

And I'm sorry if someone didn't get everything they wanted out of the romances-- as I always am. I wish we could do the ideal where there's something for every desire and opinion, but as usual we make do.

nice post wolfgrimdark

i'm of the mind that people who are so adamently opposed to it come of as quite homophobic. while shepherd may seem like he'd be obviously straight that too is a stretch considering that there are and have always been gays in the military. its funny i haven't even done a full playthrough as male shepherd in either game because his look/voice are to cromag for me.

in dragon age origins though i actually thought the gay romance option was going to be alistair due to many conversations, etc. he seemed really closet gay--i was shocked that it was zevhran who actually made the advances though it seems an assassin isn't the type for romances with either gender.

only played through dragon age 2 once and it was as a female hawke who did romance anders. i liked anders more in awakenings and being a mage it made sense for story's sake but his role in the storyline really pushed things and well the roleplaying relationship was pretty lackluster to put myself in his shoes. varric though was great and his friendship, i gather with both genders, is the best part of the game. honestly i'm fine with no romances in a game rather than weak ones, but if they're going to put them in i say open up the choices--and consequences.

coming from someone who lives in a country whose most well known bands are abba and ace of base--aren't you kind of biting the hand that feeds you as they say?

While this post from David Gaider was in response to a debate in DA2, it is related and seems appropriate. Its very easy for those in the majority to say "why add this", because for them its already so common they don't even think about it. They take so much for granted they can't even begin to understand why it might be an issue. Course adding it this late in the game seems rather odd … it should have been in from the beginning if at all. Still I am for more diversity when possible.

This is true to some extent, but it matters how it is handled. In Dragon Age 2 every romance option was bisexual… every single one. That was just stupid, and felt forced. If they do the same thing in ME3 I will again think it is stupid and forced.

If they just have a gay/bi companion or two though I won't really care. I will still think homosexuality is brought up way too often in ALL fiction, but I recognize that might be my natural bias and I try not to rant about it. I ranted a bit about Dragon Age 2 because they did a bad job of using gay relationships, not because they existed.

This is true to some extent, but it matters how it is handled. In Dragon Age 2 every romance option was bisexual… every single one. That was just stupid, and felt forced. If they do the same thing in ME3 I will again think it is stupid and forced.

If they just have a gay/bi companion or two though I won't really care. I will still think homosexuality is brought up way too often in ALL fiction, but I recognize that might be my natural bias and I try not to rant about it. I ranted a bit about Dragon Age 2 because they did a bad job of using gay relationships, not because they existed.

I don't really disagree with what you said as far as presentation. As an example of how I thought that type of content was very well done, and subtle, is Fallout New Vegas. It felt more natural and was just there, versus more in your face. I certainly won't complain about having content that is inclusive (seeing how little of it), but given a choice I prefer it to not be as forced.

How did it go in that Doctor Who episode where they introduced Captain Jack?

Rose: So that's what humans do then? Go out into space, meet aliens, and…
Doctor: …dance.

So many species, so little time! ;)

If they were going to put a male homosexual relationship in the game they should've done so from the first game, not now and not after claiming over and over again that they didn't give him a gay male option because it wouldn't be true to the character.

Sad to see the ME team is now embracing the path of least resistance, because it worked wonders for the DA team…

will random bum rape be included?

will random bum rape be included?

Only in the prison level. They said it didn't make sense to have it in every level. I'm pretty sure the community will be in uproar about this (and demand it for every level) ;)

Last edited:
On Shepherd being gay or not... I remember a time where key personality traits was decided by the player rather than the developer.

Now that's great news; the more romance options, the better. They are the main reason for me playing Bioware games. I tend to spend most of my gaming time pondering on dialog options, anyway - for me, that's the main pull in RPGs that offer dialog. And I know several people who were straight for, say, 50 years before finally discovering other options, so it's not stretching the suspension of disbelief for me if they include it in ME3.

I don't know why Bioware even bothers with romance in their games. It adds very little to the game and appears as nothing more than something tacked onto. It cheapens the game(s), if anything.

Back
Top Bottom