Two Worlds

been playing 1.6 a bit for a couple of weeks. I thought the horseback riding animation and sword swing are excellent. The best part is the attention to graphic details, convincing scale and proportion of citys, forts, buildings...one step above Oblivion and G3, so is the overall technical programming. missions and sidequests are plain. An attempt at a story, kinda shallow so far. silly dialog and subpar voice acting. I would give it a higher score than Oblivion and G3.

My 5yr old athlon xp 3200+ is still kicking, with a 7950gt of course. all max at 1280x1024. hope to jump to Qcore in 6 months...but barely have time to play.

Last edited:
Oblivion has it's share of problems (level scaling, hand holding) but a higher score than oblivion? Are we even playing the same game? Or what about Combat then? magic? stealth? Oblivion wins hands down. Quality dialog? skill-system? interactive world? guilds?

What oblvion lacks is the gameworld scale and complexity. Two worlds is spectacular no doubt of that, but at the same its empty and shallow. Heck even simple npc routines feel more varied and complex in oblivion. Sure two worlds has more detailed locations compared to repeated oblivion gates and dungeon design we had in tes4, but what good is all that if the gameworld doesn't feel intresting at all? An other aspect which killed my intrest was the item stacking. On paper it looked great, but in reality it felt as boring as leveled loot in oblvion. The worst part is that atleast tes4 has dozens of mods which can fix it, but with TW you have to live with it.

And if we take into consideration all the various balancing mods and other fan-made fixes, oblivion's score raises from 7 to 8. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't say this game beats either Oblivion or G3, but it was a pleasant enough experience. I really enjoyed the variety in the locations. I hated the Medievalspeak and the look of the character models at first, but it grew on me and I now look back on it with enough fondness to motivate me to buy TW 2.

I wish I had more time ... all this talk makes me want to replay Two Worlds and Oblivion, but neither is good enough to deserve it ...

I'm glad I never played very far into Two Worlds when it was first released, before it received all those patches. Now I'm actually looking forward to playing TW 1&2 back to back.

I wish I had more time ... all this talk makes me want to replay Two Worlds and Oblivion, but neither is good enough to deserve it ...

Heheh - I know the feeling... I'm not normally able to tolerate action-RPG's for very long, but one that I strangely persisted with to the end even after a mind-numbing amount of hacking and slashing hordes of zombies, is a game called Silverfall. I persisted because I had read some optimistic previews which had likened the nature vs mechanistic setup in the game to Arcanum.

I was badly disappointed by the lame clichéd ending, yet when I was helping out some people who are busy playing it on another forum, I couldn't believe that I was actually itching to start the game up again... :S

I finished Oblivion and Two Worlds as far as you can, but neither really beat the experience of games like Gothic.

I was badly disappointed by the lame clichéd ending, yet when I was helping out some people who are busy playing it on another forum, I couldn't believe that I was actually itching to start the game up again... :S
I'm sorry if my previews led you to that terrible end(ing) :D

I finished Oblivion and Two Worlds as far as you can, but neither really beat the experience of games like Gothic.

Absolutely agree ... and not sure what the point is arguing Obliv vs. TW. Neither offers a lots of hardcore RPG opportunity.

The graphics are just too horrible , i am not a gfx lover but anything below Morrowind is simply not acceptable , specially for a game so much recent .
I didn't get far into the game to have an opinion over the other aspects.

I found nothing wrong with the graphics.In fact I liked them more than in Oblivion.

I should send you my list of mods I'm using on oblivion...its a huge difference....

for instance I went to a farm that had everyone invisible and had to get a spell to bring them back(not sure if this was in the original bur cool quest)

I fear traveling to and from cities....combat is hard. Atmosphere is insane, I jump in dungeons.

There is no way you can even compare two worlds graphics to oblivion...I liked two worlds but unless your machine can't run oblivion well...they were not even close.

Bethesda was smart in supporting mods, it gives their games legs.

I should send you my list of mods I'm using on oblivion...its a huge difference....

Because of my long history reviewing, I tend to play everything 'vanilla' - for example, I'm playing Bloodlines now without any 'unofficial' patches. I've never patched Oblivion except officially, and never will.

Too bad you are missing out one of the good things about bethesda's games, which to be honest seems counter productive.

Too bad you are missing out one of the good things about bethesda's games, which to be honest seems counter productive.

How can I objectively evaluate Bethesda''s work if I am applying things that hide the original game? That is the problem ... and as a result I just never do this stuff. Heck, using hi-res patches for older games is pretty new for me ... :)

Well, part of bethesda's game is the editor and mods are not only able to be added but encouraged by the tools they release. In order to review the complete game you actually should have tried what has been made for the game using its tools. Now, if the game had no editor your arguements would hold....

Hopefully this will motivate you to try out some of the great mods out there.

I *have* fiddled with mods and seen what they can do, but when reviewing a 100+ hour game, and then going back to review it with expansions, etc, I need to understand what has been going on with the core game. If I was to play Oblivion now I would mod the heck out of it ...

Did none of you see that horrible intro in two worlds? I liked the game but come on that was bad. They were no where near on par with oblivion....how long has it been since you guys have played oblivion?

I have both games on my hard drive now...although its been a bit since I played two worlds...oblivion is being played right now.

Did none of you see that horrible intro in two worlds? I liked the game but come on that was bad. They were no where near on par with oblivion....how long has it been since you guys have played oblivion?

I have both games on my hard drive now...although its been a bit since I played two worlds...oblivion is being played right now.

On par with Oblivion? You mean that never ending tutorial that you can't skip no matter how many times you play that game?

And to be honest both games look the same. At least with bloom on there's no real way to tell the difference between any of these games. That and the same green grass and trees.

And to be honest both games look the same. At least with bloom on there's no real way to tell the difference between any of these games. That and the same green grass and trees.
That is true, ( esp. :giggle: about the bloom :greengrin: ), except that the character models in TW are ugly as hell. Otherwise, I thought the gameworld itself was pretty enough – possibly even prettier than Oblivion in the sense of that it had more variety, like desert and laval molten rock, and jungle, as well as an Eastern setting in the Southwest.

I'm sorry if my previews led you to that terrible end(ing) .

Ha ha – sorry, no, I didn’t mean it like that. :x Let’s just say I personally rather enjoyed the nature/science setting as well. The game was actually quite nice, if only the entire gameworld had been less riddled with huge mobs. I used to get quite bad carpal syndrome while playing that one… :sweatdrop: x_x
I probably exaggerated a little about the ending, but I was disappointed - I had expected something more, perhaps a bit more original, than what I got. :thinking:

Back
Top Bottom