So whats the verdict on the game then by our US brethren?

Dude, as far as I know it hasn't even unlocked on Steam yet. There should be about 5.5 hours left on the countdown at the time of this post.

Dude, as far as I know it hasn't even unlocked on Steam yet. There should be about 5.5 hours left on the countdown at the time of this post.

Excuses and more excuses*

* Just joking around, I know it wouldn't have unlocked when i posted the message :)

I'm not sure how I'm resisting the temptation to get some VPN IP address scrambler.

Just so you know, two reported issues happen to many of people, not hardware specific.
1. The game won't start at all - no known solution yet, most of them managed to start and play in windowed mode, all I could pinpoint there is that it happens only on x64 windows, not on x32/x86 (Alrik will be happy :))
2. Just like older PB games it has microstutters on some machines - probable solution setting in config.xml FPSLimitToRefreshRate="true" to FPSLimitToRefreshRate="false"

This year's betatesting award goes to Northern America! :evilgrin:

This year's betatesting award goes to Northern America! :evilgrin:
Four days is hardly enough time to beta test the game.:p

Now going by the developers patching history we have at least two patches on the way. Then they will completely drop the project, and move on.

I can't wait for fan-made patch.

Note: Despite what I said I still enjoy the games.

Was enough for Escapist reviewer. :p

EDIT: Man, I'm so mad.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/249230/discussions/0/35220315969868374/
I noticed that no matter what my fps would not go above 50. By default in "video" options the game sets your monitors refresh rate to 50. For starters change that to 60.

But that didn't fix it so i investigated a bit.

Navigate to risen3 folder in steamapps, open risen3-data-ini Than look for the file called ConfigDefault and drag it into wordpad to open it. Press ctrl+F and search for "Averagefps" and you will see it is set to 30.00 (console port anyone?)

Change it to 60.00

Next look for this FPSLimitToRefreshRate="true"

change it to "false"

hit save and enjoy 60fps

What's the problem with those people? Many of us don't want consoles for one particular reason and that's 30FPS c(r)ap. So stop restricting frames per second on PC games!
A huge, huge minus on PB from me.

Last edited:
Well my first attempt to play it didn't go very well. It was a slideshow, and I couldn't even get past the menu screen. I've got a feeling it didn't like the Geforce drivers I had installed. I'm updating my drivers now...

Ah-ha! You tried to avoid your most important duty!
No, not toes clipping. Betatesting! :evilgrin:

Seriously now, do try those setting changes I've quoted above.

Well, mine will unlock only day 15 and probably I will play only a bit for starters (want to finish Risen 2 first, especially to avoid possible spoilers in 3, even being with another protagonist...)

Well, it wasn't my video drivers. This game definitely doesn't like something about my system at the moment…

*Edit* I've got a feeling it might have something to do with whatever video codecs that menu intro uses.

I just wish I could run it and check if it works on my machine… And then fix if it doesn't.
But DeepSilver said no, you wait 3 more days. :(

Okay, the similar slideshow problem you're experiencing I had with remake of Thief. The solution was finding x32 game executable and copying it over x64 executable. Now if there is such executable in Risen 3 subfolders it should work as not a single report on performance came from people on x32 windows.

EDIT:
CON♥♥♥♥IGNFIRMED

This game cannot run when more than 4 cores are runnning. I had to rerun my cores just to play it You can do this too

Temporary Fix till they PATCH IT

> Go to Start
>Type MSCONFIG in run box
> Click on "Boot" tab button then "Advanced
> Click on the arrow that says "Number of processors" set the cores
Restart computer and game should work
Worked on three people already. So in case the game is not working on you, set number of cores on 4 or lower til it's patched.

Last edited:
Ok... it turns out that it's just the menu that I'm having a problem with. Once I get past that, the game runs fine. It's weird because the menu screen literally runs less than 1 FPS on my machine, but the game itself is smooth with everything maxed.

Very early impression...

Graphics are underwhelming, but not bad. The textures are of a lower quality than other recently released games, but artistically it looks very good imo. Runs smooth for me at 1920x1200 with everything maxed + Vsync on.

The pirate theme is VERY strong - at least in the beginning.

The gui and controls are almost identical to Risen 2, although combat does feel a little smoother.

Was enough for Escapist reviewer. :p

EDIT: Man, I'm so mad.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/249230/discussions/0/35220315969868374/

What's the problem with those people? Many of us don't want consoles for one particular reason and that's 30FPS c(r)ap. So stop restricting frames per second on PC games!
A huge, huge minus on PB from me.

The game -on PC- is definitely not locked to 30fps by default. There is lots of stuff in the config files for the various LODs and for all sorts of hardware. Maybe it sets itself to 30fps if it detects a Xbox or PS3 but on the PC it does not.
My game -with zero config hacks- is running at 60fps with everything maxed "out of the box" and it's sometimes dropping into the low 50s which kind of feels like microstuttering (though I got a single GPU) when it does.

The only thing I find annoying in the technical department so far (still on the tutorial island) is the bright white sandy beaches. They completely overdid HDR/Bloom. I tried different brightness/contrast/gamma settings but then it was too dark in the jungle. Very hard or impossible to find a good balance.
I have attached two example screenshots.

Other than that (mild spoilers ahead):

- Weird intro and strange premise: So you're Patty's brother and as such you're a pirate captain like your father. But then why are you so weak? Why do sand devils and other lesser creatures pose a threat? On the other hand: There's a dragon snapper on the first island. Remember crapping your pants when you spotted one in Gothic 2 NotR? Not here. Tame as a chicken and went down easy as pie. Odd design decisions abound…
- It probably would have been cool if there would have been at least SOME dialogue when you land on the first island and when you talk to Patty for the first time to find out where you are and what the hell is going on.
- Exploration is fun. You can start exploring the Crab Coast rather freely right from the start including some swims to small nearby islands.
- Combat is still pretty crappy so far. It just doesn't feel right. There is a sense of input lag, a rubberband effect that connects you to your enemy even if you are rather far away and this goes both ways… they also hit you from pretty far away and stick to you like glue sometimes. I'm guessing that this is because of poor pathfinding (Patty also has a lot of trouble following even if you just do some minor climbing)
- Interface is partially annoying so far. I have 1920x1080 screen estate. Why am I forced to look at a map that has both, vertical and horizontal scrolling and is about the size of a stamp? (thank you, consoles - NOT! :) ).

Overall it's not too impressive so far. Feels like a straight clone of Risen 2. But as they said in the reviews, it's supposed to get better and more diverse.
It is a shame though that -at least IMHO- they have once again, as with Risen 2, botched the intro.
And this time they really didn't have to. There would have been a zillion possibilities to start the game with a new hero. Why they went for Patty's brother as a pirate captain and the whole illogical consequences that entails is way beyond my grasp. Hate to say it but it's really just retarded.

Attachments

• Risen3_2014_08_12_21_00_50_534.jpg
    Risen3_2014_08_12_21_00_50_534.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 60
  • Risen3_2014_08_12_21_53_18_790.jpg
    Risen3_2014_08_12_21_53_18_790.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 62
And this time they really didn't have to. There would have been a zillion possibilities to start the game with a new hero. Why they went for Patty's brother as a pirate captain and the whole illogical consequences that entails is way beyond my grasp. Hate to say it but it's really just retarded.

It might be because Risen 3 started as a DLC for Risen 2 with new 'playable' character. I could be wrong, but I swore that about 6 months after Risen 2 was released, I saw Risen 2 DLC 4 on Steam database, which ofcourse could have been a mistake.

I have a 3+ year old laptop that maxes out at 1368x766 with high settings, and it is not very impressive to look at. Destroys 360 R2, but the original Risen on PC looked better. I hope they ditch this engine or whatever is dragging them down after this. Apparently, this game is going to take place on 10 or so islands again. What is it with islands? They need to hit the mainland in their next game.

The only thing I find annoying in the technical department so far (still on the tutorial island) is the bright white sandy beaches. They completely overdid HDR/Bloom. I tried different brightness/contrast/gamma settings but then it was too dark in the jungle. Very hard or impossible to find a good balance.

I agree. The light is so bright in the beach areas that you can barely see the sand and water in some spots. Like you, I also tried fiddling with the settings and couldn't find a good balance.

Weird intro and strange premise: So you're Patty's brother and as such you're a pirate captain like your father. But then why are you so weak? Why do sand devils and other lesser creatures pose a threat? On the other hand: There's a dragon snapper on the first island. Remember crapping your pants when you spotted one in Gothic 2 NotR? Not here. Tame as a chicken and went down easy as pie. Odd design decisions abound.

None of those things bother me as much as the fact that it was never mentioned in Risen 1 or 2 that Patty had a brother. It's like they were just sitting around looking for ideas someone said "I got it!" "We'll just retcon a brother into the story!"

There is a sense of input lag, a rubberband effect that connects you to your enemy even if you are rather far away and this goes both ways… they also hit you from pretty far away and stick to you like glue sometimes.

I'm not experiencing that in my game, or at least I haven't noticed it yet.

Why they went for Patty's brother as a pirate captain and the whole illogical consequences that entails is way beyond my grasp. Hate to say it but it's really just retarded.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the intro myself, but it's not a huge deal to me. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the story get better explained as the game goes on.

Are you experiencing any lag on the main menu screen?

Last edited:
Are you experiencing any lag on the main menu screen?

No lag here. The video works fine. By the way, it's the "intro_loop.wmv" in the SteamApps/common/Risen3/data/extern/videos folder.
As you can see it's a Windows Media video file recorded at 1280x720 (thank you again, consoles - NOT :biggrin: ) @ 60fps.
Maybe try playing it in your video player to see if it still lags?
Oh and if, like me, you have never installed any codec packs but are only using VLC media player which is sufficient for everything but the most exotic types of codecs then make sure to disable the hardware acceleration. It may sound good on paper to let the GPU do the decoding but there are many codecs and videos where hardware acceleration causes the exact opposite of 'acceleration' ;) .
Alternatively, I'd try uninstalling any codec packs you might have, especially if they are older ones.

Back
Top Bottom